More wal mart shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I could buy Valvoline at Walmart and some from a big chain auto parts store and have certified VOAs done to verify formulation.

Well additives are usually cheap so I doubt they would cheapen out on that but most likely they would cheapen their base oil make up. So doing a VOA would be useless if they didn't decrease the additive package.

From what I understand every formulation has to be tested and approved and that is not cheap. So the oil you buy in Walmart is the same oil you can buy everywhere else.

Oh I agree with you. I was just playing the what if they changed it game.

I could buy Valvoline at Walmart and some from a big chain auto parts store and have certified VOAs done to verify formulation.

Well additives are usually cheap so I doubt they would cheapen out on that but most likely they would cheapen their base oil make up. So doing a VOA would be useless if they didn't decrease the additive package.

How are they going to change the formulation to make it cheaper for Walmart and still meet all the official ratings on the bottle? If they could do that then they would make it as cheap as possible across the board for everyone while still meeting the advertised ratings.

How are they going to change the formulation to make it cheaper for Walmart and still meet all the official ratings on the bottle? If they could do that then they would make it as cheap as possible across the board for everyone while still meeting the advertised ratings.

I'm sure there is certain wiggle room. I doubt any manufacturer makes their oil to the most minimum meeting spec but who the heck knows....

Originally Posted By: Kira
My "fear" regarding Walmart is that they have such sales volume they can get ExxonMobil to put whatever they designate into a Mobil1 jug.

Honestly, how do I know every jug of Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula contains the same product?

I too don't care to speak with dippy-doos (aka people) in Walmarts or other cheaper stores except to steer them away from plug-in air fresheners.
Heaven-only-knows what chemicals wafting into our lungs freaks me out.

I wouldn't wear that "White Trash" shirt because it's inflammatory and racist. I can get into my own trouble, thank you.

Because it meets the same bloody approvals as the version not sold at Walmart?

How economically viable do you think it is, given the margin on oil, to develop two completely separate versions of the same product, put them through the exact same OEM testing and approval protocols to save what probably amounts to fractions of a cent per jug sold?

Not only that, but if the Walmart version was "different" it would require its own MSDS and PDS, neither of which exists. We are pretty deep into tinfoil territory here, are you sure your hat is on tight enough?

“I'm sure there is certain wiggle room. I doubt any manufacturer makes their oil to the most minimum meeting spec but who the heck knows....”

I believe the answer is, the oil companies blend their oils to meet both the specifications and the price point they want. That is standard business.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Kira
My "fear" regarding Walmart is that they have such sales volume they can get ExxonMobil to put whatever they designate into a Mobil1 jug.

Honestly, how do I know every jug of Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula contains the same product?

Because it meets the same bloody approvals as the version not sold at Walmart?

How economically viable do you think it is, given the margin on oil, to develop two completely separate versions of the same product, put them through the exact same OEM testing and approval protocols to save what probably amounts to fractions of a cent per jug sold?

Not only that, but if the Walmart version was "different" it would require its own MSDS and PDS, neither of which exists. We are pretty deep into tinfoil territory here, are you sure your hat is on tight enough?

Geez OVERKILL, don't throw logic into the discussion.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It's a curse
grin.gif

Dont argue with idiots basically. Thays the most horses rear I've ever heard.out of kira

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
At least I know that Valvoline sold through Walmart is the same exact product as sold anywhere else. I contacted Valvoline to verify. I'd bet that's true for all the oil brands sold through Walmart.

Haha !! I can think of quite a few things here..... First off, I don't believe for a second that ANY manufacturer makes a special Walmart version but even if one did, they'd never admit it. Some random phone rep telling you that isn't factual.

Why would they lie about it? I could buy Valvoline at Walmart and some from a big chain auto parts store and have certified VOAs done to verify formulation. If I found they were different I could legally sue them and spread the word of the deception. I highly doubt any big oil company would want to put themselves into that situation in today's world of social media.

The Valvoline guy I was in IM with (so have a record of the conversation) said it's a common question they get. And that they do have a large contract with Walmart and that's how walmart can sell for a better price.

Just VOA between WM and a parts house oil of the same kind and quit speculating. Or would that put an end to the whining and make you have to actually think to be able to converse about something worthwhile?

The real curse is bbhero's birtbday to America!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
At least I know that Valvoline sold through Walmart is the same exact product as sold anywhere else. I contacted Valvoline to verify. I'd bet that's true for all the oil brands sold through Walmart.

Haha !! I can think of quite a few things here..... First off, I don't believe for a second that ANY manufacturer makes a special Walmart version but even if one did, they'd never admit it. Some random phone rep telling you that isn't factual.

Why would they lie about it? I could buy Valvoline at Walmart and some from a big chain auto parts store and have certified VOAs done to verify formulation. If I found they were different I could legally sue them and spread the word of the deception. I highly doubt any big oil company would want to put themselves into that situation in today's world of social media.

The Valvoline guy I was in IM with (so have a record of the conversation) said it's a common question they get. And that they do have a large contract with Walmart and that's how walmart can sell for a better price.

Just VOA between WM and a parts house oil of the same kind and quit speculating. Or would that put an end to the whining and make you have to actually think to be able to converse about something worthwhile?

Already mentioned the VOA. All this [censored] about Walmart oil jugs having something else inside than what the outside says is all tin foil hat phenomena.

Newbie here, but it would seem to me that neither Walmart nor any of the oil companies would risk putting a product into their containers (quart bottles, 5 qt jugs, etc,) that was different than what stated on the label. That would be a huge fiasco, and nobody (WM, Oil Companies) wants to go down that road. It could take years to repair reputations, and get people to buy their oil again.

Being that Walmart is probably one of the top suppliers of motor oil (products on shelf, and for their service dept.) in the country, they would not mess around. If they wanted an oil company to make a product to their requirements, different than anyone else, they have Super Tech for that.

So many people buy motor oil at WM that it is a huge representation of how good products are. So, there is not going to be any shenanigans, everyone is going to be on their best behaviors, no fooling around.

If anybody doubts, that what's in the container is different than what is stated on the label, or different than what is sold at store XYZ, than couldn't they have an oil analysis done by a private lab like Blackstone??

Originally Posted By: Voleak
Newbie here, but it would seem to me that neither Walmart nor any of the oil companies would risk putting a product into their containers (quart bottles, 5 qt jugs, etc,) that was different than what stated on the label. That would be a huge fiasco, and nobody (WM, Oil Companies) wants to go down that road. It could take years to repair reputations, and get people to buy their oil again.

Being that Walmart is probably one of the top suppliers of motor oil (products on shelf, and for their service dept.) in the country, they would not mess around. If they wanted an oil company to make a product to their requirements, different than anyone else, they have Super Tech for that.

So many people buy motor oil at WM that it is a huge representation of how good products are. So, there is not going to be any shenanigans, everyone is going to be on their best behaviors, no fooling around.

If anybody doubts, that what's in the container is different than what is stated on the label, or different than what is sold at store XYZ, than couldn't they have an oil analysis done by a private lab like Blackstone??

To be clear, I DON'T BELIEVE THE NONSENSE THAT COMPANIES MAKE 'SPECIAL' PRODUCTS JUST FOR WALMART.

Now, let's play fantasy conspiracies and pretend in the make-believe world of internet rumors that company "x" did in fact make a "special" version just for Walmart. Let's use motor oil as our example. If company "x" was making their special version, there would be a very, very, very small number of people who would be aware of it. The "guy" you're IM'ing sure wouldn't know ! The folks who answer their customer support or tech line sure wouldn't know !

To be clear, I DON'T BELIEVE THE NONSENSE THAT COMPANIES MAKE 'SPECIAL' PRODUCTS JUST FOR WALMART.

Now, let's play fantasy conspiracies and pretend in the make-believe world of internet rumors that company "x" did in fact make a "special" version just for Walmart. Let's use motor oil as our example. If company "x" was making their special version, there would be a very, very, very small number of people who would be aware of it. The "guy" you're IM'ing sure wouldn't know ! The folks who answer their customer support or tech line sure wouldn't know !

Like I said earlier, if someone could prove that the product didn't meet the specs on the bottle (including other oil manufacturers who might be checking up on their competition), it would be very bad news and probably cause massive ramifications for a cheating company. I don't think any reputable company would risk their reputation over it, especially in today's social media world.

And the company rep giving me info better know what info is true or not, or say he doesn't know and will have to go higher for an answer. He's representing the company, he's not some dude off BITOG answering IMs between posting in this forum.

Originally Posted By: nap
We’ve heard that argument during Dieselgate, didn’t we?

That is a red herring statement that has no relation here.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: nap
We’ve heard that argument during Dieselgate, didn’t we?

That is a red herring statement that has no relation here.

There are some newbies here who specialize in those.
They'll either learn better or get banned.

I guess that since I buy SuperTech 15w40 for my OPE, i'm White Trash - and proud of it. Or is that 'Deplorable'....

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back