Safety First?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well hope this doesn't turn into politics, but did you hear about the FBI agent that discharged his gun when it fell out when he did a back flip in a bar?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post...one-police-say/

I would think that anyone that carries would have the safety on? Or could it have been shut off when it fell? Looks like he just grabbed it and it fired when he did that.

Just answer the question please.

I don't know the details, but that is why you don't try to catch a falling gun. A whole lot of duty and carry guns do not have manual safeties.

Guns, I think should have no safety. Too much to worry about when you need it.

If you carry, don't chamber a round until ready to fire.

So wheel guns(revolvers) I guess a heavy pull would be safe or require pulling on the hammer to get the first one going.

I see old westerns that they pulled the hammer for each round fired.

He had his finger on the trigger when he picked up the pistol , watch the video. A basic gun safety rule is keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

So wheel guns(revolvers) I guess a heavy pull would be safe or require pulling on the hammer to get the first one going.

Carrying a defensive gun with an empty chamber is not very smart.

This is a good example that alcohol and firearms do not mix well.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Cowboy guns were single action only revolvers. You have to manually cock the hammer to fire them.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Your safety is between your ears. He didn't have one.
This.

There are accidental discharges and negligent discharges. This wasn't an accident. This was negligence. You don't go dancing in a bar with your service weapon on your hip and you sure don't do a flip. And keep your finger off of the trigger.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Well if it was a Glock, it's going to fire if you pull the trigger.
Mose any guns fires when you pull the trigger. that is why you keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire,,,Any type of gun.

This was inexcusably stupid.
I hope the guy who got hit will be okay.
The FBI boy will be filing for unemployment by tomorrow afternoon and may be charged under state law and end up doing a little state time.
He certainly has this coming, since his actions were really outside the bounds of acceptable behavior by any LEO or anyone who chooses to carry.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Mose any guns fires when you pull the trigger. that is why you keep your finger off the trigger until ready to fire,,,Any type of gun.

¡Gracias, El Capitán Obvio!

I looked at the video.

The gun did not fire on hitting the ground. THE GUN FIRED WHEN HE HASTILY PICKED IT UP!!!

I have to wonder if he had consumed. If had calmly picked up his weapon, there would have been no accidental discharge.

If was still foolish to do a backflip while carrying a firearm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AVB
I don't know the details, but that is why you don't try to catch a falling gun. A whole lot of duty and carry guns do not have manual safeties.

In the link, it shows the video of him doing the back flip and the gun falls out during the flip. Looks like he saw the gun on the floor and just grabbed it and when doing that, you can see the gun go off. I guess at that low level, anyone hit would have been in the foot.

I watched the video, there had to be alcohol involved. Just look at his dance moves. Leave the skinny jeans to the ladies. Don't do back flips while carrying, and if you do don't pick the gun up by the trigger when it falls out.

Originally Posted By: CT8

¡Gracias, El Capitán Obvio!

Indeed. Glocks are a common handgun used by the FBI and Glocks don't have manual safeties.

So if there's no safety, then what was the mistake? Bringing a gun to a bar, having it in the back pants without a holster, doing a back flip, picking up the gun by the trigger, having a round in the chamber, etc.

The mistakes were possibly being intoxicated, trying to do a back flip, and picking the gun up by the trigger. I am fine with carrying in a bar, just being there doesn't get you drunk. I think he did have a holster, just not one rated for back flips. I always carry with a round in the chamber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back