Detroit 2...Pace car oops

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chevy exec driving the pace car should have left traction control on, I guess
smile.gif

Looked like a new ZR1?

This is not the first time, back in what '98 in CART the pace car hit the barrier during caution.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
This is not the first time, back in what '98 in CART the pace car hit the barrier during caution.

At the 1971 Indy 500 they pile drived the Pace Car into the photographers stand, after screaming down pit lane, and hurt a bunch of people in the process.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
That was awesome.

lol.gif

Seems like the kinda thing you'd expect from Mustang drivers.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
That was awesome.

lol.gif

Nah, if it was a Mustang it would have found a crowd.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
That was awesome.

lol.gif

Nah, if it was a Mustang it would have found a crowd.

Jalopnik win

This is why I don't like celebrities driving the pace car.

Mark Reuss does have an FIA C license and an IMSA license, as well as being a certified industry pool driver for Nürburgring testing.

I think that makes him less of a "celebrity" driving a pace car, though I'm not sure if it makes the incident more or less embarrassing for him.

At least it was a 750+ HP Corvette ZR1, not a FWD Honda Accord... right, Arie Luyendyk Jr.

Exactly this. It seems that in Indycar and NASCAR, they want to have a celeb for Grand Marshall, pace car, flagman, etc.--where frequently none of the people selected have even anything tangentially related to racing. Do you think some hollywood type is really a NASCAR fan?

And the pace car takes some skill. Hopefully this will cause various series to rethink this idiocy

F1 does the pace/safety car thing right. Have a dedicated driver, who happens to be a fairly successful racer, and a car that keeps the pace fast enough so the racecars tires and brakes don't get cold. I can see either having a celebrity or grand marshal ride shotgun in the pace car, or even have them in a course car in case the pace car is actually needed soon after the green flag drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back