Total Ineo Quartz vs Mobil 1 ESP (VW 507.00)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,
Long time lurker - first time poster.

I am having some trouble deciding on a VW/Porsche spec 507.00 & C30 rated oil. I searched a lot before making this post, so apologies in advance as I am sure this has been answered in the past but I just haven't been able to find the relevant info

My dad has a 2015 VW Jetta TDI, and my mom has a 2016 Porsche Cayenne V6. Both are commuter cars, 70% highway 30% city, no hard driving whatsoever. Both are spec'd to use the 507.00/Porche C30 oil spec (which are apparently the same)

Anyways, I am kind of a cheapskate (thrifty? savings conscious?) and want to standardize my oil changes and buy in bulk and maximize savings. Seeing as these are commuter cars, they see pretty frequent oil changes. I do all of the oil changes at home.

The oils I have narrowed it down to are;

$37.66 - Total Ineo Quartz Long Life 5w30
$44.16 - Mobil 1 ESP 5w30

Is there any reason I should not go with Total since it meets the 507.00/C30 spec? $6 per oil change is a small enough gap that I can ignore the cost increase, considering that it will be in there for 10k miles in both cases.
But it is still significant enough to add up over time, so if the Mobil 1 is not definitively a better oil, should I go with Total?

I haven't researched the possible deals out there as I don't use this spec.
That said I have used a bunch of Total oil for many applications and I would not hesitate to
use their products.

Originally Posted By: Waffles
Hi folks,
I am having some trouble deciding on a VW/Porsche spec 507.00 & C30 rated oil. I searched a lot before making this post, so apologies in advance as I am sure this has been answered in the past but I just haven't been able to find the relevant info
My dad has a 2015 VW Jetta TDI, and my mom has a 2016 Porsche Cayenne V6. Both are commuter cars, 70% highway 30% city, no hard driving whatsoever. Both are spec'd to use the 507.00/Porche C30 oil spec (which are apparently the same)
Anyways, I am kind of a cheapskate (thrifty? savings conscious?) and want to standardize my oil changes and buy in bulk and maximize savings. Seeing as these are commuter cars, they see pretty frequent oil changes. I do all of the oil changes at home.
Is there any reason I should not go with Total since it meets the 507.00/C30 spec? $6 per oil change is a small enough gap that I can ignore the cost increase, considering that it will be in there for 10k miles in both cases.
But it is still significant enough to add up over time, so if the Mobil 1 is not definitively a better oil, should I go with Total?

Go with Total excellent oil not as much advertised as M1 and therefore not as much ad cost to recover, that's why cheaper.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sanity check folks, I did find out that the Total oil is manufactured in the US (not like it makes it a great oil or anything) but adds some peace of mind.

Going with the Total. Meets all the specs so I don't think there will be any issues.
smile.gif

Thanks for the sanity check folks, I did find out that the Total oil is manufactured in the US (not like it makes it a great oil or anything) but adds some peace of mind.

Going with the Total. Meets all the specs so I don't think there will be any issues.
smile.gif

That’s ironic if the M1 ESP is made in France …

Since the list of specifications met is so similar and the Total is cheaper, I’d get the Total. I’m not a cheapskate with oil but that would be my choice in this case.

I bought 1 5qt jug off Amazon on Friday, should be here tomorrow. Need to get the VW oil changed tomorrow or day after (just hit the service interval).
I think that Amazon has it cheapest, and in single 5qt jugs instead of the 3 pack (a few bucks cheaper overall to buy them individually).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pelican
Hi folks,

Go with Total excellent oil not as much advertised as M1 and therefore not as much ad cost to recover, that's why cheaper.

What is NOACK on Total oil?

Total is good oil, meets spec, but in VW504.00/507.00 and C30, nothing comes close to Mobil1 5W30 ESP. It probably ahs lowest NOACK of all oils of that spec. and other 5W30 oils, has very stout HTHS, very high flash point and it is VISOM based.
Total is classic Group III oil. It will do the job, but if you want the best....

Here are the spec sheets for each oil (from what I can find). Not sure if the increased flashpoint is necessary since both vehicles usually only hit 210*F (100*C) if it is really hot out. The Jetta will hit 220*F in stop and go highway traffic when it is hot outside.

But not sure if the viscosity differences are good/bad

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30
SAE Grade 5W-30
Viscosity, cSt (ASTM D445)
@ 40ºC 72.8
@ 100ºC 12.1
Viscosity Index - 164
Sulphated Ash, wt% (ASTM D874) 0.6
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150 ºC (ASTM D4683) 3.58
Pour Point, ºC (ASTM D97) -45
Flash Point, ºC (ASTM D92) 254
Density @ 15.6 ºC, g/ml (ASTM D4052) 0.850

TOTAL QUARTZ INEO LONG LIFE 5W-30
Viscosity grade - SAE J300 5W-30
Kinematic viscosity at 40°C mm2
/s ASTM D445 66.5
Kinematic viscosity at 100°C mm2
/s ASTM D445 11.7
Flashpoint °C ASTM D92 238
Pour point °C ASTM D97 -48
Viscosity Index - ASTM D2270 173
TBN mgKOH/g ASTM D2896 8.7

Here are the spec sheets for each oil (from what I can find). Not sure if the increased flashpoint is necessary since both vehicles usually only hit 210*F (100*C) if it is really hot out. The Jetta will hit 220*F in stop and go highway traffic when it is hot outside.

SAE Grade 5W-30
@ 40ºC 72.8
@ 100ºC 12.1
Viscosity Index - 164

/s ASTM D445 66.5
/s ASTM D445 11.7

Coolant temperature does not have to do anything with flash point. Flash point is much higher then what oil temperature would ever be. Flash point is important to sustain pressure in certain spots in engine. However, 238 or 254 is not that important, however it is indication of quality of base oil and additives.
But Total does not have one very important number there, and that is HTHS. It is more important then viscosity number. Also, we know for a long time here that NOACK value of Mobil1 is 5.6% based on test by one Russian oil web site. We do not know of Total.
Also, Total Ineo Quartz Long Life meets only VW504.00/507.00. Now that spec. is most stringent when it comes to wear among 0/5W30 oils. But not that stringent in deposit and oxidation department. I personally always buy oil that meets several most important specifications, and in case of diesel engines those are: MB 29.51, BMW LL-04 and VW 504.00/507.00. Each specification brings something to the table.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw

SAE Grade 5W-30
@ 40ºC 72.8
@ 100ºC 12.1
Viscosity Index - 164

/s ASTM D445 66.5
/s ASTM D445 11.7

Coolant temperature does not have to do anything with flash point. Flash point is much higher then what oil temperature would ever be. Flash point is important to sustain pressure in certain spots in engine. However, 238 or 254 is not that important, however it is indication of quality of base oil and additives.
But Total does not have one very important number there, and that is HTHS. It is more important then viscosity number. Also, we know for a long time here that NOACK value of Mobil1 is 5.6% based on test by one Russian oil web site. We do not know of Total.
Also, Total Ineo Quartz Long Life meets only VW504.00/507.00. Now that spec. is most stringent when it comes to wear among 0/5W30 oils. But not that stringent in deposit and oxidation department. I personally always buy oil that meets several most important specifications, and in case of diesel engines those are: MB 29.51, BMW LL-04 and VW 504.00/507.00. Each specification brings something to the table.

Sent me looking ~ that’s an impressive list of builder approvals even before “recommend for”

Wonder if builder approvals hurt this oil … they seemed to fade from LL04 approval to this oil fits” list unless they just got the wording wrong … For $13/jug … could not pass it up for GM use:

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Sorry, I meant oil temps never exceed 220*F (coolant never sees over 212*F normally). Good point that the M1 meets MORE specs overall than the Total, and has more specs listed as well

The only spec that M1 really has over Total is dexos2, which is not a terribly stringent spec. I believe Total has a higher starting TBN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back