Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP Compared

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

have a new niche market I would like to fill with my new oil:

Cold morning Startup-High Moisture Quick Drive Away-Cold Temp/High TEMP-High Horsepower V6/L4-Lead Foot-Old Lady-Soccer Mom-Redneck/White Collar Driver-4X4-2X4-Hybrid Compatible-Big Block/Small Block Oil in a new viscosity weight of 0W20W30.

Before I pay extra for these gimmick oils I would choose either Redline, Schaeffer's, or Chevron Supreme.

lol.gif
Nice. I'm dissapointed in the M1 EP oils. I'm sure they are good, but they could be better. I'm looking into Schaeffer's.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

have a new niche market I would like to fill with my new oil:

Cold morning Startup-High Moisture Quick Drive Away-Cold Temp/High TEMP-High Horsepower V6/L4-Lead Foot-Old Lady-Soccer Mom-Redneck/White Collar Driver-4X4-2X4-Hybrid Compatible-Big Block/Small Block Oil in a new viscosity weight of 0W20W30.

Before I pay extra for these gimmick oils I would choose either Redline, Schaeffer's, or Chevron Supreme.

lol.gif
Nice. I'm dissapointed in the M1 EP oils. I'm sure they are good, but they could be better. I'm looking into Schaeffer's.

The Schaeffers 7000 really looks good doesn't it. Unfortunately buying in small quantities almost doubles the cost because of shipping and I'd have about 2 years worth of oil...
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Stinky Peterson:
I don't have any Shaeffers but if someone wants to send me some I'll run it.

Stinky

I just got some of the Schaeffers 7000 5W-30. How much would you need? PM me and let me know how much and where to send it...

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
I have a new niche market I would like to fill with my new oil:

I sent my order in today...Can I get it by the gallon?

lol.gif

Bob W.

Furor: n. A general commotion; public disorder or uproar. [Middle English furour, wrath, fury, from Old French fureur, from Latin furor, from furere, to rage.]

Before I pay extra for these gimmick oils I would choose either Redline, Schaeffer's, or Chevron Supreme. [/QB]

quote:

MolaKule:
INHO the LL oils, the 4X4 oils, Easy Starting oils, the EP oils, the SUV oils, etc are ALL marketing gimmicks to get more market share.....

The real battle is for shelf space.

At the dealer/garage level these boutique brews aren't really significant, but at the do-it-yourself outlets - Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto Parts, Kragen, Checkers, Pep Boys, etc - they're lined up on the shelf. The brand with three niches gets a leg up on the brand with two.

The explosion in niches should drive fringe brands like Red Line off the shelves altogether, and cause some chains to drop one or more national brands as well. They might choose to carry Pennzoil but not Quaker State, for example.

This is the same thing driving the consolidation of companies behind the brands. If you own both Pennzoil and Quaker State, you really don't care if they drop one. And if they carry both, it's gravy.

Of course, in the end this all translates into market share.

I thought part of the new EP oil was higher level of the "supersyn" component? I'm assuming this is to help it stay in grade over the long haul. If there is more to oil than the additives then maybe the EP oil is better??? It appears that GC has lower additive levels than people expect but it does a great job anyway. Maybe the base oil is the trick here.

quote:

The Schaeffers 7000 really looks good doesn't it. Unfortunately buying in small quantities almost doubles the cost because of shipping

Smaller orders for bitog members are wholesale plus shipping. Which adds 14-17%. Still less than retail and a far cry from almost double.
And yes as always orders over $250 (any combo of products) qualifies for free shipping.

It looks like EP has higher zinc & phosphorus, but lower moly over the regular. What effect will this have in high-performance engines (track)? And does this have a bad affect on the catalytic convertor on the street?

Are calcium, magnesium and boron levels all up in the EP? Or is the regularly M1 levels down?

I'm not familiar with the typical numbers which is why I ask.

quote:

code:

Oil Brand Mobil Mobil Mobil Mobil

Oil Blend M1 M1 M1 EP M1 EP

Visc Label 5W30 10W30 5W30 10W30

Kine Visc 11.3 10.7 10.6 10.5

Ag 0 0 0 0

Al 2 2 2 2

B 76 95 251 290

Ba 0 0 0 0

Ca 2380 2514 2822 3108

Cr 0 0 0 0

Cu 0 0 0 0

Fe 1 1 1 1

K 0 1 1 1

Mg 13 13 15 16

Mn 0 0 0 0

Mo 92 92 83 83

Na 6 9 6 11

Ni 0 0 0 0

P 678 750 948 881

Pb 0 0 0 0

Si 2 3 1 3

Sn 0 0 0 0

Ti 0 0 0 0

Zn 775 858 1058 1002

ISO Code 18/12 19/13 18/12 18/13

PQ 11 25 17 13

PVi 0 1 0 1

SM rated oils are rumored to have less ZDDP (may poison catalytic covnverter) that's why the EP oils will not have the API Certification.

I don't quite follow you.

You're saying that the M1 EP, which is API SL has higher zinc and thus doesn't get the starburst GF-4 because it doesn't meet the requirements for catalytic convertor lifetime?

quote:

I don't have any Shaeffers but if someone wants to send me some I'll run it.

Stinky

Here are some VOAs posted by Bob.
patriot.gif
If you want to update them, then I can supply some 15w-40.

I'm interested in this business about the ZDDP being harmful to the cat. Any way to qualify/quantify where the levels in EP are?

Like many cars, my M3 has an expensive cat (something like $1400) and I've never replaced one on any car I've ever owned. I wouldn't want to shorten it's lifetime unnecessarily...

Aren't emissions components required to be covered by warranty for 100,000 miles?

In some cars it just won't make much difference. It's dependant on how much oil you consume. If you've got a tight motor it will probably be hard to poison the Cat regardless of what you use. I've never topped up except for normal LC adds. Dino, synth or blend all stay put. Toyota 1.8L 2zz and I use the 8k+ redline almost every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back