Cheapest Semi Syn 10W40 in Oz...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less than $10 for 4L is a amazing low price. The note "This is not a passenger car motor oil" on the PI sheet would make me hesitate, unless I knew a lot more about the oil.

At KMart you can get Shell Helix HX7 10W40 semi-synthetic at $32 for 5L every day of the week. Or it was when I last checked about a year or so ago. It's SN, A3/B4, VW 502/505, MB 229.3 The straight mineral HX5 15W40 is only $26 for 5L (SN & A3/B3)

At auto stores the HX7 is $40 to $45 normal price, but on sale I've often seen it at $20.

I recently picked up some GTX 15W40 Ultraclean semi-synthetic on sale at $15 for 5L. It's SN & A3/B3. Probably worth the extra $5 for the peace of mind in using a car oil in a car.

My view of auto stores, is that the regular prices are not the real prices, that is the robbery price. The sales are the real price, and between SCA, Repco and AutoBarn, you are never more than a week away from the next sale.

I'd run it in a heart beat
laugh.gif

Bought two jugs, with trade card $17.25.

My guess (and that's all it is) is that they don't want people to use it in cars with cat cons and DPFs.

For the chosen duty cycle, it should be very well additised, and it's not allowed to drop below 3.3 HTHS.

If I still had my Toranas, I'd use it neat.

As is, top-offs for relos that turn up with the oil light flickering

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...dly#Post3962808

So you got 8L for $17.25 ($2.16 per L)....that is very good.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the - not for cars - thing, and I recon your right, it's probably very high SAPS / ZDDP and so not exhaust Cat / DPF friendly.

It would be nice to know the TBN.

Originally Posted By: SR5
So you got 8L for $17.25 ($2.16 per L)....that is very good.

grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

So with the money you saved, you could get a VOA, you know do it for the team and all.

BTW is this your first Valvoline oil ?

Back in the Day, XLD 20W50 and a tin of STP was the standard in my Toranas.

Always have a gallon of VAlvoline TCW-3 in the shed for additive in the diesels...which reminds me I'm nearly out.

So with the money you saved, you could get a VOA, you know do it for the team and all.

I'd need to buy another 2-3 jugs to save enough for that...

can you use it for nissan sentra 2013? on manual it says recommended oil is Engine oil with API Certification Mark *1 Viscosity SAE 0W-20 *1, *8

So where'd you find it at this price? Don't hold out on us mate!

SR5 - Any negatives you can think of apart from the cat poisoning in newer vehicles that have a cat and pre cats etc?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I'd need to buy another 2-3 jugs to save enough for that...

Excellent !! Win-Win situation.

Originally Posted By: KL31

SR5 - Any negatives you can think of apart from the cat poisoning in newer vehicles that have a cat and pre cats etc?

Well if Shannow is prepared to run it, that is a good sign.

I remember reading a few old threads where they were talking running HDEO in PCMO applications, in general it was considered a good thing, especially when the HDEO is dual rated (API Cx and Sy). However some diesel oils are not dual rated and run very high additive levels with very high TBN. It was suggested to avoid these as some were concerned at additive fallout which may scratch the bore or something.

I don't know if it's true or not, but the advice to stick with dual fuel rated oils sounded good to me. Or at least be a little more cautions and do a little more research for non-dual rated HDEOs.

Having said all that, these oils we are now talking about are not for diesels, but for 4-stroke petrol engines, just marine engines, which tend to run harder and flat-out most of the time. So fundamentally it's the same type of engine as in you car, just pushed harder.

Don't forget Shannow said that it's primary duty is for a top up for his in-laws. Read his linked thread, there is no love to be lost, and they are definitely his Beta-testers on this program.

I should add that he is paying $2.16 per L for marine oil with no API rating, but that GTX UltraClean you found before was $3 per L with both API SN and ACEA A3/B3. It's your 84cents, spend it wisely.

Last edited:
Don't consider that I've given it too much thought other than start in the eyes at an oil for high load/revs and the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back