0w20 instead of 5w20 in extreme winters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Negligible difference, probably less of a variable than battery health. Battery health will affect cranking speed in the cold far more than 5w vs 0w. But if it’s cheaper than by all means!

Depends entirely on how cold it is.

The entire purpose of the CCS test is to qualify an oil's performance relative to the established limit for a given W rating, that is, a maximum viscosity limit at which the cranking speed is affected.

So, if it's -35C and your 5w-20 passed the -30C limit at 5,800cP, it would be ~11,600cP, well above the threshold. On the other hand, the 0w-20 would have to be below the cut-off. And that assumes the 5w-20 didn't hit its gel point.

Thank you for this information. Very informative.

Use the 0w-20 year-round with confidence.

Year round for sure … high 90’s today and the Tahoe did over 300 miles on M1 EP 0w20 … mostly 75 mph …

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Originally Posted By: Pelican
It will be fine, In 2003 the 0W... did yet exist, that's why you have a 5W..
But it exists now
Hint: Castrol Magnetec 5W-20 bottles instruct would-be buyers to use their 0W-20 in GM cars that originally specified 5W-20. That's in any climate. (Yes, I know GM is not Honda.)

Originally Posted By: asker123
Hi,
moved from Toronto to Winnipeg . Winters here are brutal. sometimes -35 or even -40 deg celcius.
car is 2003 honda accord 160k kms ( 100k miles)
I always put mobil1 5w20.
should I run 0w20 in winters to give extra protection at cold starts?
right now both mobil1 extended performance and advanced fuel economy are on sale in 0w20 weight and price is almost same as my 5w20.
any thoughts?
-35 or -40 does not last for months though.
my user manual says to use 5w20 and it shows a chart which covers range from -30 deg cel to +40 deg celcius.

You seen the low NOACK of Valvoline Full Syn 5w-20?

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Why did you have to mention Winter already? Just kidding....Same price...buy buy buy and save it for winter.

I get you....
But we Canadians can really afford good oils when on sale. prices here are rediculous...mobil1 5w20 on sales is 33 cad regular is 52 cad. and don’t forget 13% tax.
So I need to buy oil one season advance.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
The 2003 Accord (both 4 cyl and V-6) is the oldest year Accord that Honda has back specced for use of 0w-20. I have the color chart but can't figure out how to post it here. You may be able to find it via Google.

Yes, you can use 0w-20 with the approval of HMC.

what do you mean by Honda has back specced? Any link or info that Honda says I can use 0w20 will be highly appreciated. Thx

Originally Posted By: nike360baller
You seen the low NOACK of Valvoline Full Syn 5w-20?

You're obviously a troll or a shill. If he's asking about 0W20 because his climate needs it, the oil will never get even close to the temps to make NOACK relevant in the tiniest little bitty amount.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Negligible difference, probably less of a variable than battery health. Battery health will affect cranking speed in the cold far more than 5w vs 0w. But if it’s cheaper than by all means!

hmm interesting...I allready upgraded to a bigger size battery . Then I shoul rethink actually. It will be better if I can run single grade oil year round . For sure I won’t like 0w20 in summer . I am biased towards thick oils. I feel that they protect better. wouldn’t 0 w grade be too thin for summer and if you are saying it is not a major factor in start up than why bother......

but Overkill made a good point too.

Another info to all of you if that gives you an indication of my car’s performance. In brutal winters last year , can always started fine but then because I don’t liking idling for long, it struggled to pick up speed. It was hesitating to move from 1st gear to 2nd. Not sure if it was engine issue or auto tranny.
I bought this car is 2012 and since than I have done 3 drain and fill of auto tranny using honda’s new synthetic tranny fluid dw1....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
+3 go for it.

What oil are you thinking of using?

I will buy mobil1 for sure.
EP is only 5 dollars more than AFE. is EP a better oil. I will never do more than 8000 kms ( 5000 miles ) oci though.

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Year round for sure … high 90’s today and the Tahoe did over 300 miles on M1 EP 0w20 … mostly 75 mph …

A friend has 120K on his 2014 Silverado and does 15K OCIs with M1 0-20EP. His engine runs great. My son uses M1 0-20 in his GMC Denali. It performs very well.

Originally Posted By: tig1

A friend has 120K on his 2014 Silverado and does 15K OCIs with M1 0-20EP. His engine runs great. My son uses M1 0-20 in his GMC Denali. It performs very well.

I'm on my 3rd OCI of 0w-20s and am in heaven. The better ones never catch them slipping a faar as FE is concerned and quick startups, both in the morning or throughout are saving on wear and tear and I feel like it just sticks to parts better meaning quiet starts, usually the warm restarts and even top of the morning starts.

Last edited:

Thanks Tig … I’m going to do the OLM until the bumper to bumper is done … EP just dropped to $25/jug and this is the only vehicle not on clearance aisle oil right now.
wink.gif

Tig: Are they running a single oil filter that long … I’m stuck in the middle with the high PSI bypass issue …

Tig: Are they running a single oil filter that long … I’m stuck in the middle with the high PSI bypass issue …

Yes. My son has his oil changed at a garage that promotes M1 oils(Gainesville, FL.). At times I know he goes long on his oil changes. My friend changes his own oil, but only changes his filter at each OC. Only a 2.3 and 2.5 Ford Duratech engines, but my normal OCI has been 10K for decades, and have put 450K on M1 0-20 for many years now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
The 2003 Accord (both 4 cyl and V-6) is the oldest year Accord that Honda has back specced for use of 0w-20. I have the color chart but can't figure out how to post it here. You may be able to find it via Google.

Yes, you can use 0w-20 with the approval of HMC.

what do you mean by Honda has back specced? Any link or info that Honda says I can use 0w20 will be highly appreciated. Thx

Originally Posted By: Leo99
You're using a block heater in the winter, aren't you?

yes I have block heater. Indeed mornings ngs wont be any problem at all as the apartment building has heated garage.
but many workplaces don’t have all parking lot spaces with lugs. same like malls etc on weekend.
hence I was thinking if 0w can help me ....

Thanks to the user above who posted the oil chart....

I guess , I will buy AFE 0w20 for winters over EP

Last edited:
hmm interesting...I allready upgraded to a bigger size battery . Then I shoul rethink actually. It will be better if I can run single grade oil year round . For sure I won’t like 0w20 in summer . I am biased towards thick oils. I feel that they protect better. wouldn’t 0 w grade be too thin for summer and if you are saying it is not a major factor in start up than why bother......

0W is not a grade and it doesn't make it thin or thick for summer. It is still a 20 grade no matter what the winter (W) rating is. The number before the W is a cold-cranking specification and has no bearing on what the operating viscosity may be.

In summer (and in winter, after starting) 0W-20 and 5W-20 are the same oil. 0W-20 is not thinner than a 5W-20 unless it is well below 0F, and this is when you want it thinner. In fact, with some oils and at some temperatures the 5W-20 may well be thinner than the 0W-20.

You can run 0W-20 all year long if a 20 grade is what you want to run. It will make no difference in the summer. 0W-20 will help you start when it is very cold.

don't be fooled, 0W oil is thinner than 5W or 10W... those are the base grades then VI improvers are added to bring them to the respective full temp hot grades 20 30 40...i thought we all knew this by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back