Malwarebytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got a new dell computer a few days ago, today it locked up with a warning that my information has been compromised with a phone number to call, and an endless voice loop. I checked the number and it is apparently a scam, so I opened task manager and shut down Microsoft edge. I downloaded Malwarebytes free version and it didn't detect anything, nor did the McAfee LiveSafe program that came with the new computer. Is it worth $70 per year to buy the premium version of Malwarebytes and put it on both computers and both cell phones?

I get those things once or twice a year. And my free MS Security Essentials, Malwarebytes or Adblock allowed it to get through. I just "restore" the computer to an earlier time and it's cleared it up every time. I'm going on 7 yrs with this Dell table top. Prior to this computer and software my system was killed a couple times requiring outside assistance or a new computer. So for 6 yrs I haven't paid anything for more than "free" basic protection. My brother who was in the computer field for a while felt he could get good protection w/o buying any premium packages. It's worked for me.

If your computer is brand new you may not have an older "restore" point yet to go back to.

i get those every once in a while. i think they are on the web site rather then in your computer. when i get them i just do as you do and go into task manager and shut down the browser. i have had it happen on edge, chrome, firefox and opera.

you need to remember that a large percentage of people don't know how to shut these thing off. get enough people willing to pay and you can make a good amount of money on these things

Press windows start
enter "remove programs"
sort list by date
you should see the app that is the malware source
remove it

Good luck.

use a good browser with ublock origin, blocks that junk 95% of the time.

Originally Posted By: Rand
use a good browser with ublock origin, blocks that junk 95% of the time.

But it's that 5% that will get you. My thing on this is avoid those sites. I mean, the other thing is you know how fast your computer is when it is new from factory etc et al so any slow down and I wuold just reset or go back to factory, forget the restore points on a new PC that the OP has.

The premium version of Malwarebytes has automatic updates, scheduled SCAN and real-time protection. But I think the scan part is the same.

I was lucky enough to get a Malwarebytes for life license a few years ago. As far as I can tell its good for my lifetime. Now 65. I will put the license key in my WILL.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The premium version of Malwarebytes has automatic updates, scheduled SCAN and real-time protection. But I think the scan part is the same.

I was lucky enough to get a Malwarebytes for life license a few years ago. As far as I can tell its good for my lifetime. Now 65. I will put the license key in my WILL.

I got a lifetime license on Malwarebytes Premium too, some crazy deal on Newegg a few years ago for like $15.

The realtime protection of MWB Premium will block known malicious wesites. I also run Bitdefender free version, which also does real time protection. Got to have some kind of real time protection these days.

Looks like what you saw was in an Edge browser window, rather than a virus that took up residence. Explains why MWB found nothing. I've never used Edge. I use FF with Ublock Origin installed. I've never seen anything like you described. Period. Running any browser in the 'open' will invite all sorts of trash, ads, scripts, etc.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Just got a new dell computer a few days ago, today it locked up with a warning that my information has been compromised with a phone number to call, and an endless voice loop. I checked the number and it is apparently a scam, so I opened task manager and shut down Microsoft edge. I downloaded Malwarebytes free version and it didn't detect anything, nor did the McAfee LiveSafe program that came with the new computer. Is it worth $70 per year to buy the premium version of Malwarebytes and put it on both computers and both cell phones?

Answer = No

and agree with another in here. Since the computer is so new, simply wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows 10, VERY simple procedure and your computer will be new again.

Most every malware problem is caused by the user of the computer. Its real simple, dont open or download any files in any emails from anyone, unless you know for fact it is real.
Never open an attachment sent to you in an email from ANY company or bank.

Most important, if you ever go to a website and get ANY warning, IGNORE IT, no matter what it says, Simply SHUT DOWN the computer by holding in the power button for 10 seconds.

NEVER ever click or follow ANY directions from any pop up on your computer saying you have been hacked and need to do this or that and then follow the directions to not shut down the computer! SHUT IT OFF.

I can understand why, but to this day, it amazes me how people follow "directions" from an unknown source leading them right to a trap. SHUT IT OFF if it happens. Once you click, you are screwed.

Last edited:
any webpage popup "warnings" are sometimes a result of a website's
ad pages being hijacked. hard to catch and sometimes seemingly random
due to the ads themselves being random.

place cursor on tab that has this then

ctrl-alt-delete to get task manager, kill edge, fire it
up and as it is populating the tabs, close the tab that the
cursor is on.

windows defender will catch any leftover "code" a bit later
but if you're paranoid like me, do a scan
(defender will tell you can continue working)

I found Malwarebytes to be insidious and hard to get rid of. Malwarebytes came with some software that I installed. I wasn't careful and overlooked the option of opting out of also installing Malwarebytes. It took some work to get that [censored] and the little "gifts" left behind removed.

Originally Posted By: vavavroom
I found Malwarebytes to be insidious and hard to get rid of. Malwarebytes came with some software that I installed. I wasn't careful and overlooked the option of opting out of also installing Malwarebytes. It took some work to get that [censored] and the little "gifts" left behind removed.

What software was Malwarebytes included with?

I found Malwarebytes to be insidious and hard to get rid of.

That applies to almost anything installed in Windows.
wink.gif

That doesn't sound even remotely close to right
21.gif
Malwarebytes is pretty self-contained and the only annoying payload that it may bring with it is the Google Toolbar.

Maybe it was another program with a similar name?

Yeah, that has me confused as well. Malwarebytes has helped me fix several infected pcs for friends and family.

Naw it was Malwarebytes. Even after uninstalling it I had to manually remove multiple leftovers that were hard to find. I can't remember with what other software download it came. It's been a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back