Finally detailed the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the car over to the carwash today to do a much needed exterior detail. It took a bit over two hours but I think it turned out pretty good.

Products I used:

Chemical Guys medium duty clay bar and lubricant- link

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound- link

Meguiar's G6207 Black Wax- link

It was my first time using the Chemical Guys clay bar and have to say, I was pretty pleased with it. I've used the Meguiar's before and really like it, especially on black cars. I must say, I don't like caring for black paint. That said, when it's clean, it looks stellar. All the swirl marks are gone and it's got a deep mirror-like reflection that just looks so good. Here's some pictures. Sorry, they're not the best quality or angles but I was so hot and worn out that it's all I felt up for taking.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
Took the car over to the carwash today to do a much needed exterior detail. It took a bit over two hours but I think it turned out pretty good.

Products I used:

Chemical Guys medium duty clay bar and lubricant- link

Meguiar's Ultimate Compound- link

Meguiar's G6207 Black Wax- link

It was my first time using the Chemical Guys clay bar and have to say, I was pretty pleased with it. I've used the Meguiar's before and really like it, especially on black cars. I must say, I don't like caring for black paint. That said, when it's clean, it looks stellar. All the swirl marks are gone and it's got a deep mirror-like reflection that just looks so good. Here's some pictures. Sorry, they're not the best quality or angles but I was so hot and worn out that it's all I felt up for taking.

Looks good.
11.gif

I really need to start using a clay bar or something similar as I can see in a few areas on y wife's car where it would be beneficial. I am worried, however, about streaks/swirls using one so maybe a little further/professional help/digging into it again is in order?
With me, time is always an issue it seems. I wanted to use an IPA today but having none on hand and having the perfect conditions for waxing (overcast and 20-22 c) I just got at it while the sun was hiding. It still turned out great and looks great but being anal, I want it better.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Looks good! Keeping a black car perfect is a second marriage .

For sure.

Nice detail job!

Be careful with a medium grade clay bar as it can leave micro-scratches behind. A fine grade clay should take care of any contaminants. Also HD Speed is a polish and wax all-in-one. So consider using that going forward. You can leave it be or top it with some of the Megs Black Wax, Collinite, etc...Megs compound will be fine for scratches, defects. Yes, taking care of black paint is a part-time job. But it gets you out and moving. Instead of having your rump in a chair.

Last edited:
[censored] that looks good. Thanks for the motivation on my paint work. +1 SatinSilver.

What did you use to apply the Ultimate Compound? I've always found it to leave my paint a little hazy and need another step.

Is the Black Wax an AIO?

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
What did you use to apply the Ultimate Compound? I've always found it to leave my paint a little hazy and need another step.

Is the Black Wax an AIO?

Applicator pad and microfiber towel to remove. It's a lot of elbow grease, but it comes off without any haze that I've seen. No, it's not an AIO.

Looks great....from a distance. Any spider webbing or swirling in direct sunlight yet? It's inevitable with black cars!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back