More wal mart shenanigans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Wal Mart this morning returning something for the lady friend of mine. Hear the two guys behind me blabbing that the ST oil is made by government and Pennzoil and Mobil 1 are made at same plant.

I laughed and asked how they knew this. One guy said he read it somewhere. Guess you cant fix stupid

Hah, last weekend I went to Wal-Mart and decided to pick up a jug of ST HM FS 5w30 for the S10 and a guy seen me put it in my cart. Proceeds to go "you know that'll sludge up and blow your motor?" I just shrugged, laughed, and walked away...

Probably reading it from the same place that coined the term "cardboard endcaps".

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Probably reading it from the same place that coined the term "cardboard endcaps".

Yeah, i told the two guys "dont believe everything you read." I told them "i guess me running synthetic in my car is bad eh?" They looked at each other and i said "thought so"

I find that unless you hang around here on BITOG, most people are virtually clueless on most things motor oil.

You have your Castrol, M1, Pennzoil, Royal Purple, etc fanboys, all loyal to their specific brand and will defend to the death why the oil they use is the best oil, without any specifics on what makes it so good over all others. Here in Canada, I often see people pay $51 for a 4.4L of M1, when Pennzoil is on the shelf below at a sale price of $33 for a 5L jug. If you ask the guy who chose the $51 M1 why it is so much better than the $33 Pennzoil, he couldn't tell you, because for the typical 8000 km OCI, M1 is not better than Pennzoil and vice-versa.

Most mechanics I find are also clueless about motor oil, except for general properties of conventional versus synthetic. If you ask any mechanic the benefits of moly, or what is the NOACK of their service fill, they wouldn't have a clue what you are asking.

I hate when I hear folks randomly talking about ridiculous engine oil theories while in the return line at WalMart. I also hate when GM engineers randomly approach me to discuss the oil filter riding shotgunon on the passenger seat of my truck as experienced by engine shop owner Crazyoildude.

You can be "clueless" about motor oil...as long as you follow the spec in the owners manual.

There isn't a "bad oil". Some are better than others but any oil (in the right spec) you buy at Walmart will be fine.

ST made by the government utilizing a plant where they also make M1 and Pennzoil is hilarious...but I'm usually too preoccupied making sure the jug cap seals haven't been broken or the right filter is in the right box...that hasn't been crushed.

My guess is that the jug seal and filter issues might be perpetrated by conspiricist types trying to match oil color and seeing if it feels the same between their fingers. You might be on to something....

Originally Posted By: CKN
There isn't a "bad oil". Some are better than others

In your opinion which oils are better than others?

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
ST made by the government utilizing a plant where they also make M1 and Pennzoil is hilarious...but I'm usually too preoccupied making sure the jug cap seals haven't been broken or the right filter is in the right box...that hasn't been crushed.

My guess is that the jug seal and filter issues might be perpetrated by conspiricist types trying to match oil color and seeing if it feels the same between their fingers. You might be on to something....

Super tech is...is it’s people! Ahhhh! (old movie reference staring Charleton Heston), anyone?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: CKN
There isn't a "bad oil". Some are better than others

In your opinion which oils are better than others?

You really think I'm going to go there..........?

Shenanigans at Walmart to me is when people return their used oil, cabin filters and air filters to Walmart. With the filters they tape the box shut so the clerk won't open it. And yes I've had personal experience with all three. At least with the filters I found out before buying them.

At least I haven't found a used oil filter in a box. But did notice the ole switch aroo trick.

Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

Super tech is...is it’s people! Ahhhh! (old movie reference staring Charleton Heston), anyone?

Soylent Tech...a "Green" product.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Shenanigans at Walmart to me is when people return their used oil, cabin filters and air filters to Walmart. With the filters they tape the box shut so the clerk won't open it. And yes I've had personal experience with all three. At least with the filters I found out before buying them.

At least I haven't found a used oil filter in a box. But did notice the ole switch aroo trick.

One reason I avoid Walmart altogether.

Instead of the slogan,"Walmart,Always" it should be,"Shenanigans,Always"
laugh.gif

I saw this t-shirt one time that had "WhiteTrash Always" across the front of it written in the Walmart logo haha!

Haha I found it!
https://shop.spreadshirt.com/discordapparel/white+trash-A1376018

Originally Posted By: car51
Was at Wal Mart this morning returning something for the lady friend of mine. Hear the two guys behind me blabbing that the ST oil is made by government and Pennzoil and Mobil 1 are made at same plant.

I laughed and asked how they knew this. One guy said he read it somewhere. Guess you cant fix stupid

Pretty harmless in the grand scheme of things. First world "problem", I guess. Sigh.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
If you ask the guy who chose the $51 M1 why it is so much better than the $33 Pennzoil, he couldn't tell you, because for the typical 8000 km OCI, M1 is not better than Pennzoil and vice-versa.

I’ve seen it done the other way and the answer was “because high iron in UOA”. We then proceeded to exchanging bitog usernames and commenting on recent threads.
laugh.gif

I go to Walmart and buy what I want and leave. I must be odd, as I don't care what anyone is saying or doing in the store. I sure as heck don't want to start a conversation with anyone.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I go to Walmart and buy what I want and leave. I must be odd, as I don't care what anyone is saying or doing in the store. I sure as heck don't want to start a conversation with anyone.

Same here; there's such a variety of stuff it makes it easy for one stop shopping. But, I typically forget something as I'm in a rush to get the heck outta there. I will say the best time to shop there is between 6am-7am. Not too many people up and moving around those times on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back