Toyota filter housing gasket (o-ring) change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those not familiar with the Toyota canister oil filter, there is a large o-ring that seals up the main filter housing to the engine and a small o-ring for a drain plug in the filter housing to make less mess.

oil-filter-wrench.jpg

I've never opened the drain plug so the factory o-ring is still in the housing. Think that o-ring is good "forever" or should I replace it now and then to prevent any leaks? It's in really tight so hopefully the consensus is to leave it.

It'll be good until it leaks.

I personally wouldn't worry about it until then. If it fails it will be a drip, not an explosion.

Why not replace it every time? Every filter comes with one. It's not that hard, takes 20 seconds to take off and put a new one on.

I've never changed mine. They've been there for 5+ years now. If they ever leak I'll mess with them then.

Don’t be a hack. The two o-rings are included for a reason. Change them every time.

I have seen ones that are extremely brittle, probably from folks not changing them.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Don’t be a hack. The two o-rings are included for a reason. Change them every time.

I have seen ones that are extremely brittle, probably from folks not changing them.
+1

Originally Posted By: The Critic

I'll try it next oil change. Hopefully, it will break loose. It just seems an unnecessary complication. It's no messier than a spin on oil filter and no real need to mess with the drain plug on the filter housing other than to change the o-ring.

Since the O-ring is included with every OEM filter, there must be a reason. I always drained my filter housing before removing the unit. Ed

Is that filter housing mounted with its centerline vertical, as in your illustration? Thus the supposed need for the drain plug to get rid of oil in the cap before removing it? If you don't use the drain, why isn't removing the thing very messy?

The filter for recent 1.8L Toyotas (including mine) is similar, except smaller and mounted with its axis horizontal, so no drain is needed. Partially unscrewing the cap allows most of the oil to drain under control. I haven't replaced the O-ring in the 35345 miles since the last time the dealer changed the oil, but I might soon.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Is that filter housing mounted with its centerline vertical, as in your illustration? Thus the supposed need for the drain plug to get rid of oil in the cap before removing it? If you don't use the drain, why isn't removing the thing very messy?

The filter for recent 1.8L Toyotas (including mine) is similar, except smaller and mounted with its axis horizontal, so no drain is needed. Partially unscrewing the cap allows most of the oil to drain under control. I haven't replaced the O-ring in the 35345 miles since the last time the dealer changed the oil, but I might soon.

I don't find it much messier than a regular canister filter. Loosen it and the oil drips down just like a metal can.

I'd say replace it at least every other oil change, if not every oil change. I didn't replace the o-ring of unknown age and now the filter housing on my mom's car has started to weep a bit despite being cleaned, re oiled, and torqued down properly. New o-ring would have prevented that mess most likely.

Nothing much will come out of that hole unless you screw in a little plastic tube to drain the filter, there’s a valve to keep oil from draining out as soon as you unscrew the plug.

This is probably the only thing I won't forgive Toyota for doing. The parents Highlander has this and I dread having to do the filter change every oil change.

And the filters themselves aren't any cheaper for lacking a metal housing like a spin on.

You'll be fine not replacing it.

It only needs to be replaced if you use the supplied plastic drain tube; almost all the models the filter housing is easily accessible and not buried at an awkward angle behind a layer of engine under covers - with the exception of the Lexus LS460, even for that one it's easy to completely not even use the plastic tube to drain the filter housing before removing it and not making a mess.

I drain mine and change the gasket every time I change the oil. Only takes a couple extra minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back