Gasoline powered golf carts

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been a few years since I’ve seen gasoline powered golf carts at the local golf courses. (Other than self owned carts). There were a few courses that had new fleets of gas powered carts but they since retired them and went with electric.

Anyone still playing on a course with gas powered carts?

They seem to have gone out of style because electric carts are quieter and people don't want to break the concentration of the guy hitting the ball as you approach.
Not a golfer myself, but the last gasoline golf cart I worked on was a Harley Davidson. The engine would spin one direction for forward and the opposite direction for reverse.
Ignition timing on these models was critical.

One of my local courses has gas powered carts. They don't have a cart hangar and I was told electric carts need to be charged indoors. So, until they build a large cart hangar, they'll stick with gas.

My first time driving a golf cart was when I was 15 years old. It was a 3 wheeled Harley Davidson. He tipped it over a couple times and got it stuck in the mud. LOL. They raised the age to drive a cart after our ATV escapades in it. Wow, that was 40 years ago.

Sometimes the grounds crew gets a gas cart as it takes fewer refueling breaks, and they're making noise during off-peak times anyway.

I worked on an island that used one-- the gas pedal went to a mechanical governor that went off to the carburetor, restricting output 99% of the time. Naturally I hooked a string to the linkage and pulled it out the underside of the seat. My hooligan friends would reach under the cushion but the spark plug wire didn't have a boot and let out a hilarious jolt to those who'd fiddle-feel their way to increased speed.

There was a certain genius, all-mechanical bit to it as you'd hit the pedal, hear chug-chug-chug, it would start and rev above idle when the centrifugal clutch would grab and it'd be off. Kinda like a modern start-stop semi-hybrid.

My personal cart in FL is a 2002 Yamaha G16 gas cart that I've owned for 7 years. Runs great and it's all I need. Mine has a high final gear and runs about 24 mph. I use it four months a year and keep it on a battery tender.

Oil changes are simple. I use 10w-30 synthetic and change it every other year. I'd never own an electric cart. But if you saw the prices of new Yamaha carts, you'd be surprised. Many are $14,000 plus. You can buy a Hyundai for that. Crazy high. I'll keep driving mine until it croaks.

Golf courses are going electric because they're cheaper and they get good leasing deals. It has nothing to do with noise.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
They seem to have gone out of style because electric carts are quieter and people don't want to break the concentration of the guy hitting the ball as you approach.
Not a golfer myself, but the last gasoline golf cart I worked on was a Harley Davidson. The engine would spin one direction for forward and the opposite direction for reverse.
Ignition timing on these models was critical.
@ stroke.

I have one. However, it is not used on the courses. I have a 3 wheeled, gas powered, Cushman Truckster. Also known as a NYPD Metermaid Parking Enforcement Vehicle. Mine is a 1994 model that was supposedly used to patrol around the old Yankee Stadium. It has a roof and two trunks. Google it. Mine looks like the two tone, Robins Egg Blue examples which come up.

Three cylinder, Daihatsu liquid cooled engine, pumping all of 27 HP. Governor limited top speed of 40 mph. With Governor removed, others say it tops out at 60 mph. (Is that enough for me to quality for the pole at Talledaga?)

With this being Bitog, I have been using 2 quarts of Mobil 1 0W30 + 1 quart of 15W50. I have been using Dex VI in the 3 speed automatic transmission. A lot of fun. I use it in the bike lanes on the way to Home Depot.

Plenty up here in the north where they sit out the winter. Easier to store in the cold.

You east coasters have probably not seen "built" off-road carts. When we moved to Az in 2005 we were out on mountain bikes exploring some nearby trails and came across several like this one. Craziest thing ever and they take them everywhere. Not so many now that used UTVs are lower priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back