Motul Sport 5w-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw a Motul oil that I am not familiar with called Sport. Is anyone here familiar with it? It's even pricier than the 300V 5w-40, and I wondered if it is meant to replace the 300V oils. My diesels love the 300V and I would like to try some of this new oil.

This oil has been around for a long time. In terms of performance, it sits between 300V (not 4T) and 8100. I think there are better options for the money.

Motul Sport is supposedly a more ester-heavy step up from Motul 8100 X-CESS but not to the performance level of the auto 300V's. It has always seemed a marketing move to me, a way of putting a better price on sort-of or maybe same-as-300V (which obviously can not be much of a volume product) in order to enhance revenue. In all likelihood a very good oil but should not be priced to more than halfway between X-CESS and 300V. If whatever supplier you're looking at is charging as much as or more than 300V it's a ripoff.

Originally Posted By: 333jeffery
I just saw a Motul oil that I am not familiar with called Sport. Is anyone here familiar with it? It's even pricier than the 300V 5w-40, and I wondered if it is meant to replace the 300V oils. My diesels love the 300V and I would like to try some of this new oil.

My shop carries the Sport line and its been used in a few of our vehicles (and customers). Pricing is all over the place depending on who you get it through, but it's supposed to be priced fairly closely between the 300V and Xcess. Over-the-counter price for 1L of the 5W40 Sport is $13-14, while 1L of the 5W40 300V Power is $17-18 ($35 for a 2L can).

Its application fits right in the middle between the Xcess and 300V. Xcess is a top quality LL oil, Sport is a racey oil with extended OCIs in mind, while 300V is straight race 3k-5k OCIs, tops. The 8100 line is a "lots of PAO/some ester", Sport is more "lots of ester/some PAO", while 300V is nearly pure ester (~90%).

Like DeepFriar stated, if the seller is asking close to that of 300V, it's a ripoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back