JOHN DEERE, WHICH AT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My JD L111A was built on 12/17/2004 and has a #GXL 111A025650. 20 hp B&S TWIN INTEK ENGINE. i WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT WHAT TYPE of Auto transmission it has. The JOHN DEERE website is very difficult to find anything on older models. Ed

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
My JD L111A was built on 12/17/2004 and has a #GXL 111A025650. 20 hp B&S TWIN INTEK ENGINE. i WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT WHAT TYPE of Auto transmission it has. The JOHN DEERE website is very difficult to find anything on older models. Ed

JD didn't make this tractor! JD doesn't make any tractors below 100hp or even maybe 150hp by now. Check on the engine block and see if you see another name, like TYM, Shibaura, LS, Mahindra etc. More than likely it has been made by an asian manufacturer with JD colours. If you see the name you can contact that manufacturer and ask them about the transmission, I seriously doubt that JD would import the pieces and assemble them in the US, much cheaper to import he whole tractor.

Last edited:
T40 is very similar to a K46...

Oil used is full synthetic 5W-50, but that is hard to find.

Most people use Mobil 1 15W-50 or NAPA 15W-50....

Originally Posted By: Pelican

JD didn't make this tractor! JD doesn't make any tractors below 100hp or even maybe 150hp by now. Check on the engine block and see if you see another name, like TYM, Shibaura, LS, Mahindra etc. More than likely it has been made by an asian manufacturer with JD colours. If you see the name you can contact that manufacturer and ask them about the transmission, I seriously doubt that JD would import the pieces and assemble them in the US, much cheaper to import he whole tractor.

Wrong!
John Deere builds all their own lawn and garden tractors!
Their factory in Greeneville Tennessee builds the light duty models like 100 series you see at Lowes/Home Depot.
Their factory in Horicon Wisconsin builds the garden tractors like the X series along with other lawn and garden equipment.

http://blog.machinefinder.com/25536/john-deere-factory-locations

JD didn't make this tractor! JD doesn't make any tractors below 100hp or even maybe 150hp by now. Check on the engine block and see if you see another name, like TYM, Shibaura, LS, Mahindra etc. More than likely it has been made by an asian manufacturer with JD colours.

Maybe that's the way it is north of the border, but in the States? Not so much.

Like Cronk said, JD outdoor power products aren't made in Iowa or Illinois anymore, but there are JD OPE production and support facilities all over the southern states.

I believe Briggs engines of this size are also mostly made in the States, especially from ~2004.

Last edited:

This is so wrong in so many ways.......
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: cronk

Wrong!
Their factory in Greeneville Tennessee builds the light duty models like 100 series you see at Lowes/Home Depot.
Their factory in Horicon Wisconsin builds the garden tractors like the X series along with other lawn and garden equipment.

It's that much more embarrassing then!! I have a 2008 LA125.....What a piece of junk! Their X-series may be the greatest but my next mower will be a Kubota as I will never spend another dime on a John Deere product!

OP....I used 15w50 Mobil 1 in my K40 Hydro, The cooling fan is very fragile so be careful when removing the unit. Keeping the top of the Hydro free of debris goes a long way!

Originally Posted By: Astro_Guy
Originally Posted By: JTK
Maybe that's the way it is north of the border, but in the States? Not so much.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The consumer lawn tractors are made in Greenville, TN. There is a sticker on my D140 that says as much. http://blog.machinefinder.com/25536/john-deere-factory-locations also confirms this. http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/002/2/8/2283-john-deere-d140.html confirms it for my specific model.

So what is your fake news agenda, if you don't mind me asking?

My apologies to JTK - it wasn't you I was quoting.

You may look at Amsoil hydrostatic oil 20w-50 if you are gonna change the fluid. It's made for zero turns. It's formulated specifically for hydrostatic transmissions. It may not make any difference when compared to regular motor oil.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: cronk

Wrong!

It's that much more embarrassing then!! I have a 2008 LA125.....What a piece of junk! Their X-series may be the greatest but my next mower will be a Kubota as I will never spend another dime on a John Deere product!

OP....I used 15w50 Mobil 1 in my K40 Hydro, The cooling fan is very fragile so be careful when removing the unit. Keeping the top of the Hydro free of debris goes a long way!

The 100 series machines are built to a price point. There is a reason they are cheap at Home Depot. I see it all the time and find it interesting when someone buys a 2000 dollar 100 series and expects it to measure up to a 5-6000 dollar dealer machine.

There is a reason the dealer machines are more expensive, heavier decks, tougher transmissions, better engines.

With that said, most of the 100 series machines are pretty good compared to other brands in that class of equipment. Look at the comparable Cub Cadet, MTD, and other junk sold at big box stores.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

The 100 series machines are built to a price point. There is a reason they are cheap at Home Depot. I see it all the time and find it interesting when someone buys a 2000 dollar 100 series and expects it to measure up to a 5-6000 dollar dealer machine.

There is a reason the dealer machines are more expensive, heavier decks, tougher transmissions, better engines.

With that said, most of the 100 series machines are pretty good compared to other brands in that class of equipment. Look at the comparable Cub Cadet, MTD, and other junk sold at big box stores.

I never expected it to measure up to a any commercial grade mower. I haven't abused this machine at all & it only has 73 hours on it. I mow a flat 1/2 acre lot with it every two weeks 4 months out of the year.

But I do expect for engine hold down bolts to be tightened & not rattle out in 4 hours of use, I expect to not have it break down @ 10 hours with the intake rocker arm sitting in the valve cover.....Seat switch, Ignition switch & has never been rained on.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

I never expected it to measure up to a any commercial grade mower. I haven't abused this machine at all & it only has 73 hours on it. I mow a flat 1/2 acre lot with it every two weeks 4 months out of the year.

But I do expect for engine hold down bolts to be tightened & not rattle out in 4 hours of use, I expect to not have it break down @ 10 hours with the intake rocker arm sitting in the valve cover.....Seat switch, Ignition switch & has never been rained on.

I'm guessing yours has the Briggs engine? Those seem to have a bit more issues unfortunately.

As much as that sucks it is par for the course for those box store machines. One of my neighbors has a Cub Cadet from Lowes. It is about 2 years old and always garaged, and it has had a long list of repairs, head gasket and starter being two of them, on a mower with under 100 hours.

Lately I have been advising my customers to only buy good condition used dealer sold Deere or Simplicity machines, or Kohler Command powered Craftsman mowers. It seems everything else falls apart or has constant issues. It is sad the number of people I've seen get hit with expensive major repair bills on 2 or 3 year old mowers.

Kubotas are great tractors but just hope you never have to buy parts for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back