Another rat/mouse question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am declaring war on the mice. What is the best mousetrap? I've seen new designs like a plank that drops mice into a bucket. I do not care about humane ways of getting rid of them. I'm leaning towards the old fashioned spring action trap and peanut butter. FIRE AWAY

There have been some threads about that (just mentioning because i remember some great ideas and knowledge in there...).

Now what are you trying to protect: house? garage? cars? barn?

I think you have to work in layers.

Also, what is your source of "little neighbors": the woods? neigbor's wheat?

Do you have kids? small kids? pets?

P.S. a mouse in a water bucket for 2 days won't be "yummy" smelling....

Snap traps work, but don't use peanut butter as bait. The mice will just lick the peanut butter then leave. I find jamming bird seed into the trigger works the best. They tug or chew on the seed which snaps the trap.

I used the bucket+water method with peanut butter on a rolling plastic bottle this past fall/winter. Got about a dozen of them in late fall. Less activity in winter. I went a month go w/o checking and found a couple stuck in the ice. After the spring thaw there were several decaying ones in the water that weren't smelling that bad after sitting for weeks. Now back to checking at least weekly and haven't caught one in over a month. Maybe they wised up? Only maintenance on this bucket is to dump the water when you have a tenant and refresh the peanut butter every few weeks.

I played with the $6 DCON "igloo" traps mid-last year in my neighbor's house. The mice have to stick their heads in and can't get out sideways. Much easier to flip the spring lever to dump them out. Works better than the cheap $1-$2 kind that catch "you" more often than the mice...lol. Only a few dozen spring shots on the "igloo" traps before they no longer latch up properly. But best bang for the buck imo.

Either way works good. My wife won't let me use the glue traps.

The traditional Victor wood traps are junk. I like the Tomcat Press N' Set traps.
41u1bTcG14L.jpg

Very easy to set, won't go off in your hand, easy to re-use without ever having to touch the dead body.

I have had nothing but success with traditional Victor type. Adjust sensitivity, little bit of peanut butter..less than a day and it's snapped the neck of at least one.

The other foolproof way is a cat...you want to see how nature works without mercy...it will torture that mouse for hours before it dies.

Last edited:
Snap traps and peanut butter is all I use. Jif Crunchy. I klll about 4/year in my garage. The nice thing about the snap traps is if you forget to check them until your nose senses decaying flesh, they are easy to find.

I will give jeep man bird seed idea a try. 2 with bird seed and 2 with peanut butter.

Have a bunch of stray cats near my apartment building. I put out milk from time to time near my car. My wife asked me why I do that and I told her to keep the mice away. So far, seems to be pretty effective. Gotta get yourself some stray cats to fight the mice infestation.

Cats are great, and they "report" to you their progress if you feed them adequately so they don't rely on their kills for food.
I had success with glue traps as well as snap traps also. Nothing like a cat though.
Rolling log traps are sweet, I'm gonna make on just to see if there is anything outside.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The traditional Victor wood traps are junk. I like the Tomcat Press N' Set traps.
41u1bTcG14L.jpg

Very easy to set, won't go off in your hand, easy to re-use without ever having to touch the dead body.

This.

I use the rat-sized traps with peanut butter to catch the chipmunks that are undermining my front walk. Peanut butter is like crack to them.

Sad thing is...not all cats are mousers. They have to be taught. I've seen momma cats giving lessons to their kittens.

I've had glue and snap traps work just fine.

Once. in a single room cabin during the Winter, I used an old 5 gallon plastic Jerry can lain on its side with 12 or so ounces of water in it.
The wood and coal fires made the air dry so the mice would go in for a drink.
I'd hear there scratchy little toe nails on the plastic and simply go lift the jug.

I love the Shawn Woods channel. Also, as someone said the victor plastic snap traps are the best. The white ones are for mice and black ones for rats. Put peanut butter in the cup set it and you will catch them. It says single use but just reset it.

I use the black plastic snap traps. Easier to set than the Victor wood ones. Usually peanut butter does the trick. Best to start around Labor Day. Fresh peasut butter in all traps.

The ultrasonic repellers may work but they do not go through walls.

Mice get into cars also. Both Subaru but not Ford pickup.

I have great luck with "tuned" Victor traps and cheddar cheese. never misses.

32.gif
My Dad and I had rat/mouse questions when he was alive over 50 yrs ago.
I would be heading out to the liquor store, he wanted a pint (mouse) and I'd always opt for a rat (quart) - what we called them.

I liked using glue traps in my garage until a box turtle wandered in and the trap got stuck to his rear foot. The poor guy was hobbling around, dragging the trap around until I was able to free him. Those traps also attract crickets and other insects.

Glue trap with a small piece of Reese's peanut butter cup.

Works every time all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back