I made a realization, and I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I care so much about putting full synthetic oil and quality fluids in my Crown Vic. My next oil change is going to be with Royal Purple HPS, so that's like a $60 oil change. Why, when the first 120k+ miles of its life it got beat on as a police car with probably cheap bulk oil out of a 55 gallon drum? A lot of people on here put expensive or at least quality oil in their car that they bought used with over 100k miles so half its life who knows what it got?

But you know what, at the end of the day, it makes us happy, and gives us satisfaction, so it's worth it.

Nothing wrong with that.
cheers3.gif

Amsoil signature series changed at 3000 mile intervals while using a bypass filtration setup because its cheap insurance.

Its easy to get sucked into that rhetoric. Who cares.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
Amsoil signature series changed at 3000 mile intervals while using a bypass filtration setup because its cheap insurance.

Right, if you buy a Corolla with 100K miles, and you sell it at 200K miles, there is no difference in the condition of the engine or resale value whether you use store brand conventional every 5k miles or Amsoil every 3K miles. BUT, it made you happy, so at the end of the day, who cares?

Originally Posted By: dogememe
Originally Posted By: BrianF

Right, if you buy a Corolla with 100K miles, and you sell it at 200K miles, there is no difference in the condition of the engine or resale value whether you use store brand conventional every 5k miles or Amsoil every 3K miles. BUT, it made you happy, so at the end of the day, who cares?

No way to say that the last 100K miles on synthetic provided no benefit to that engine with regards to wear, sludge, etc. If the OCI's were similar, it's quite likely the synthetic would provide some benefit over conventional. With dealers buying cars I'd agree...they don't care. With me buying from a private party, I'd sure as heck pay more for your vehicle if I know (and you could prove) that quality synthetic oils were used the entire time. That would also be a reflection on how you treated your car as a whole. It might not be a big premium I'd pay....but I would pay one.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If it works for you that's all that matters.

Absolutely, and that's the problem. Everyone's anecdotal inputs end in success. Everything works for everyone. No one has been able to show that they've destroyed their vehicle because of their choice in fluids.

As mentioned, most of the world uses whatever fluids are bulk/cheapest, and their wheels still turn without incident. BITOG does NOT have the world's collection of longest lasting engines.

At the end of their useful lives, most vehicles crossing the junkyard gates run wonderfully. They were probably mostly maintained at a local jiffy lube. They've simply been totalled in an accident or rusted beyond repair.

Being selective about fluids out of interest is one thing. Convincing yourself that it actually helps your bottom line (keeping your vehicle rolling) is foolish.

After being on this board for 16 years and looking at thousands of oil analysis I came to the the conclusion (many years ago) that oil is oil. It all protects about the same provided you don't exceed TBN values (and I have never seen that) or leave it in until until it turns to jelly or dilutes itself to water.

But as someone mentioned, do whatever makes you feel good..

Last edited:
I care so much about putting full synthetic oil and quality fluids in my Crown Vic. My next oil change is going to be with Royal Purple HPS, so that's like a $60 oil change. Why, when the first 120k+ miles of its life it got beat on as a police car with probably cheap bulk oil out of a 55 gallon drum? A lot of people on here put expensive or at least quality oil in their car that they bought used with over 100k miles so half its life who knows what it got?

But you know what, at the end of the day, it makes us happy, and gives us satisfaction, so it's worth it.

cool.gif
plus a bonus
smile.gif
for being totally honest with yourself and us.

If it makes you happy, that is what is important.

I'm of the mindset that I use quality parts/fluids, but within reason. For example, if someone runs Pennzoil Platinum and changed it every 6500 miles, would the premium price for Amsoil or Royal Purple be worth that much more for the same interval? Many UOAs would probably suggest it isn't.

I had a friend who was changing the Mobil 1 in his 95% highway driven Civic every 3000 miles. He drives a lot and works a minimum wage job. Switching to Napa Conventional for 4,000 mile intervals saved him money and arguably wouldn't compromise wear.

OP/Dogeme,

There is still a thing to do: Tomorrow...
Early in the morning (no sun , no heat), drink a cold one (ice-cold tea?)
and go wash that car to smithereens. give it a good polish, stand back, smile and pat yourself on your back (make sure the old nosy lady from 2 houses down sees that for more theater effect).

Now go drive it for a morning cruise, while everybody is still sleepy, open the window, done your gangsta' sunglasses and start singing "Money in the bank"

P.S. I don't care about your oil choices, expensive or not. You already earn it by keeping an old car past 10 years old...

You use what you like. Its your money. Everyone should do just that.

I'm all about what makes me happy! At the same time condition myself to never allow "what makes me happy" to be arbitrary and subjective. We all like to satisfy our mental conditions, but how often do we audit our mental conditions?

How 'bout this:
Change the title of this post to, "I made a realization, and I conclude there's no reason to THINK so much about the possibility of optimizing my condition through tweaking my oil / filter / OCI selections".

BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CARE.

Are you so hungry for autonomy that you now get your jollies saying, "I don't care"?
"I don't care", is a "small person" thing to say. And before you get offended, this is (was?) something our parents or grandparents would teach us.

Well for me, I use M1 EP because I feel confident it can go 15K miles....because THEY SAID SO!!! Haaaa....seriously, the wife and I average about 20K miles a year. With that oil, I only have to change it out twice a year, which is OK by me.

At some point in life, we start marching to a different drummer. Stop doing many of the things that we once did. I have stopped thinking so much about all the wrong choices I have made and find some solace that things turned out much better than they should have.I'm at least three weeks late getting my hair cut and I don't give a hoot. Wife suggested trimming my silver locks in back and I responded that she should just walk three or four feet ahead or behind me so that people won't think we are together.My closet has shirts and shoes that are ten and fifteen years old. I don't have a suite or even a sports jacket. I shave every morning with a Gillette Twin-Track that has to be going on fifty years old. Until last year, I had a Seiko quartz watch that was new in 1982. Would still be using it but it needed a new battery and the battery hatch o-ring had rotted and seized the hatch solid. We had CRT TVs until very recently. My idea of the ideal home defense weapon is a S&W Model 10 .38 special.I'm afraid I might shoot my foot off or worse with an auto loader.When I'm around the nephews and nieces and their children, I'm glad I won't be around to share their future world. I'm with you dogememe. Put the best oil in that antique of a car and change it when you want to.

Plus, Environmentally changing your oil half as often (or more) saves LOTS of resources.

hey nothing wrong with giving an old dog a 2nd chance at life.

you pour whatever makes your little heart desires and sings happiness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back