Very Odd TV Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been having an odd problem with my TV.
Perhaps someone here will have a suggestion or get a laugh.

This is a Sony 32 inch TV bought 'new' in 2012 for $330.
Model: KDL-32BX330

I don't have cable or satellite.
All shows are free thru the airwaves.

At least 6 times over the last 4 Months, I will be watching TV and this is what happens.
The screen/picture will lock-up(freeze) and the sound will keep repeating like a vinyl record that's skipping.
I have to shut the TV OFF and turn back ON and every thing works good / till the next time.

The really strange thing is: It always has happened during the same commercial, every time.
The commercial is for selling metal buildings.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=lin...amp;FORM=VRDGAR

The only clue I can give you is of another problem with this TV.
I did the scan to pick up all the available channels in my area (about 20).
Over the next Weeks/Months, as I scroll thru the available channels, the TV will stop at channels that I don't pick up.
I then have to go into the channel selection and remove them.

I think I'll try unplugging it and then again scanning for channels.

Last edited:
Don't think that's a TV issue, personally. If it's only that commercial, I would hazard a guess that there's something wrong with the commercial itself.

Originally Posted By: JMJNet
Did you search to see if anybody else have similar problem?

OP here,
No, everyone I know has cable or satellite.
I'm just getting free TV thru the airwaves.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Id say poor reception poor error concealment. Just like CD. Digital is terrible done wrong.

Need UHF on roof with rotator.

OP here,
That could be.
I have a powered rabbit ears antenna next to the TV.

TVs are little computers and it sounds like there might be something in this commercial that is causing the TV to crash.

I am also a "antenna tv" person too and have also have periodic artifacting going on as well. I don't know if I am close to One Step Beyond however. Gives me a reason to get some work done.

Perfect example of the Russians trying to persuade you that you need to buy a metal building. See how they have infiltrated your mind?

grin.gif

Look to see if there is a firmware update for your TV. Something is locking it up. The signal might be week, but it still shouldn't crash the TV.

Could it be a codec issue in the TV software ? You may want to see if there is a issue fixed by an update for the TV.

must be a broadcasting issue or the way that commercial was recorded and programmed. with cable/satellite the broadcast is 100% digital you're picking up airwaves so there is a digital to analog conversion going on with that commercial and your tv isn't happy with it for some reason. I don't think you'd run into a problem if you were using a digital to analog tv converter, Walmart sells a few. are you?

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
must be a broadcasting issue or the way that commercial was recorded and programmed. with cable/satellite the broadcast is 100% digital you're picking up airwaves so there is a digital to analog conversion going on with that commercial and your tv isn't happy with it for some reason. I don't think you'd run into a problem if you were using a digital to analog tv converter, Walmart sells a few. are you?

OP here,
I do not have a converter box.
Any converting is built into the TV.

My other Sony TV does NOT have this problem.
So the problem must be in the TV some where.

I just thought this was an unusual problem for a TV.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid

OP here,
I do not have a converter box.
Any converting is built into the TV.

My other Sony TV does NOT have this problem.
So the problem must be in the TV some where.

I just thought this was an unusual problem for a TV.

It IS weird...and I have no solution so posted my wiseacre solution. Has to he something in the transmission of the commercial that funks up your TV.

Honestly I have no idea other then to say make sure the antenna connection is not deficient in some way.

I do wonder if your signal is weak, it can do strange things.
Anyway for $15 I would try this ... Click here

I use one on my downlead from a large attic antenna which then leads to the main distribution box in the home and splits into 7 or 8 separate cables to the rooms in the house, currently 6 TVs the home, all with no issues at all. The purpose was to slightly boast the signal for one channel "Fox" without overdriving the other channels. It works perfect now for the last 4 years. All channels at 97 to 100% signal, best $14 I ever spent :eek:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I do wonder if your signal is weak, it can do strange things.
Anyway for $15 I would try this ... Click here

In one of his posts OP mentioned he uses powered rabbit ears. I don't recommend adding an additional amplifier to an already amplified antenna
cheers3.gif

Broadcast over the air has been 100% digital for years. That TV wouldn't even work with an analog signal.

Best bet is to look for a firmware update for the tv or else your powered antenna is doing something weird to the TV that is locking it up. Either way it is probably a software problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
The screen/picture will lock-up(freeze) and the sound will keep repeating like a vinyl record that's skipping.
I have to shut the TV OFF and turn back ON and every thing works good / till the next time.
Are you able to turn it OFF with the remote or do you have to pull the power plug?

I'd suggest going into service mode (if necessary) to get the date of the last update and firmware version. Odd how it goes unstable with only one commercial. Could also be a broadcast problem with that commercial. Very odd.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back