Ford Fusion problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I saw a disabled Ford Fusion waiting for a tow. I was headed the other direction on a divided urban thoroughfare, and so only saw the carnage for a second or so.

The front driver's-side wheel was pulled way out to the left as though the outer tie-rod end had let go, and the driveshaft/CV assembly on that side had pulled out of the tranny (so maybe it was more than the tie-rod end that had failed).

This was a new vehicle (by my standards) - 2013 or later. A quick internet search didn't seem to indicate this was a common problem.

Has anyone else encountered this with a Fusion or any other vehicle? It sure looked like $$$ to me.

I had something similar happen to my Mazda several years ago....after I had hit something on the road.....maybe that's what happened here?

Probably damage, or a defect brought to light be damage.

Seen a that a few times near my house just after a raised intersection/crosswalk. Somebody hit it too fast and that was the last straw for their suspension.

We have (34) 2012 Fusions in our fleet and we are having to replace the steering arms on both sides. 33 of the 34 are under 75k miles.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
We have (34) 2012 Fusions in our fleet and we are having to replace the steering arms on both sides. 33 of the 34 are under 75k miles.

Wow. Ford Quality?

No mechanical issues of any kind so far on my 2011 Fusion, other than the faulty emissions valve under recall and one pair of rear pads and rotors. Front brakes still original at 123k miles. And living in Indiana, there have been some MEAN pothole strikes that haven't resulted in any mechanical damage either.

As much as I dislike the ho-hum nature of the car, it has been extremely reliable other than eating a 96R battery 3 times in 5 years, just after each battery warranty has expired
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JMJNet

Wow. Ford Quality?

Those were still the Mazda fusions

My friend who is a mechanic for NYC fleet vehicles tells me the Fusions are more reliable and durable than the Malibu's.

Ford/Mazda had a joint venture that ended sometime around 2012. My 2010 Miata had a FOMOCO oil filter.

32.gif
Now I have a Scion IA that's got Mazda stamped all over and wrapped around wire harness'

Originally Posted By: pbm
My friend who is a mechanic for NYC fleet vehicles tells me the Fusions are more reliable and durable than the Malibu's.

But the Malibu was the most reliable midsize car for 2015, so who knows. I'm assuming that includes Toyota Camary and Fusion too.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Wow. Ford Quality?

Those were still the Mazda fusions

Makes sense.

What kind of fleet and what kind of use/abuse are they experiencing that such a high percentage of them are having this problem with such low mileage. In a situation like this, I would look more at their regular treatment than the cars themselves. Gen 1.5 Fusions are generally regarded as very reliable 'workhorse' cars.

Wow. Ford Quality?

I wouldn't chalk this up to 'Ford Quality' - The 2010-2012 Fusions are overall very reliable. Check the mileage on the one in my sig. Still going strong. There are lots of other owners of these vehicles on BITOG who have similar experience to mine. The damage referenced by the OP, and seemingly experienced by InhalingBullets strikes me as either damage-induced, or treatment-induced less than a chronic issue. I have not experienced anything like what is being commented on, and my Fusion has over 3x the mileage.

Car in my sig is a “mazda fusion.” No issues to speak of at just over 110k miles.

I've never had issues with a chassis or a steering on my car; very tight and responsive ride to this day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back