Disappointed with new TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm a snob but I have an 8-year-old 50"in Samsung 720p plasma and a 5-year-old 60" 1080p Samsung Plasma. Both are lower end basic models for their time.

I've been casually shopping for a 4k set as my 50"in panel has a vertical line out and I want a smart TV where I don't need to use an Amazon Firestick.

I purchased a 55"in TCL 4k set. Entry level, awesome remote and it's extremely snappy when given a command. When watching sports, the picture just doesn't impress me. I also have 1 single pixel that's dead basically in the middle of the panel. I read that it's normal and not to worry, but I'm going to bring the set back to Costco and try again.

Maybe I'll return it all together and wait until I have no choice as the Plasma is unserviceable......

Originally Posted By: dja4260

I purchased a 55"in TCL 4k set. Entry level, awesome remote and it's extremely snappy when given a command. When watching sports, the picture just doesn't impress me. I also have 1 single pixel that's dead basically in the middle of the panel. I read that it's normal and not to worry, but I'm going to bring the set back to Costco and try again.

Plasmas were the best with sports due to the nature of how they handled motion. Basically an unlimited refresh rate like a CRT. Lead to smooth motion. You'll probably have to buy a set with a higher refresh rate to get good handling of motion with LCD/LED (they are the same).

We've had great luck with our Vizio set (M70) - handles movies and motion real well. Not much of a sports fan but the Olympics did look great on it.

I want a smart TV ....

Hmmmm.....

Your TV is probably tracking you
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/your-tv-is-probably-tracking-you-heres-how-to-stop-it/

Most smart TVs are tracking you — Vizio just got caught
https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/7/14527360/vizio-smart-tv-tracking-settlement-disable-settings

Why your smart TV is the perfect way to spy on you
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/03/08/smart-tv-perfect-way-spy/

How to keep your smart TV from spying on you
https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-keep-your-smart-tv-from-spying-on-you/

today's TV programming mostly stinks, summer is here kinda + i am outside!!!! i watch more in winter but enjoy the "keyboard" with endless information about anything!!! with the cost of TV i could just turn it OFF as i did every summer with overpriced Direct TV, got Dish for $50 a month for 2 years, still overpriced compared to internet cost!!!

I also have 1 single pixel that's dead basically in the middle of the panel. I read that it's normal and not to worry, but I'm going to bring the set back to Costco and try again.

Normal, like a quart per 1000 miles.
wink.gif
If it's noticeable, and you're buying a TV for extraordinary picture quality, then there's a problem.

I have a 48" (about) plasma TV. You will not equal the quality of a plasma until you get an expensive OLED. Especially for movies where you want the blackest blacks.

Forget a smart TV feature. Get a Roku. A smart TV is limited in streaming. My new Vizio cannot stream Amazon Prime. Roku can do everything. Most new TV seem to be smart TV but ignore the feature.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
It's a Roku TV

It sure is. What a great system. We're watching a 4k show and everything looks good. Hockey on the otherhand......makes me miss my Plasmas.

The better 4K TV's have more capable processors/firmware and don't look so wonky on motion. It takes a lot of processor power to render 4K perfectly. The better TV's also have more contrast and are simply more pleasing to view.

The "demo" video in the stores are chosen for incredible views. Most subject material is nothing like the well chosen demos.

To extend the life of both of your plasma TV's:
1. Turn down the backlight level in all modes.
2. Blow the internal dust out with an air compressor.
3. Vacuum off the top cover.
4. If there are any internal fans, they should be inspected for dust bunnies. While the back is off, check for any bulging electrolytic capacitors.
5. If your line voltage runs over 125Vac, it may cause it to run hotter. I have an old audio surround processor I limit the applied Vac to about 115Vac and I physically turn it OFF when not in use. Else it'll slowly cook itself over time. BTDT.
6. Protect against lightning/voltage spikes coming in both through the wall outlet, antenna connection and/or cable/sat connection.

The TCL 55" 4K HDR TV seems to be the new budget hotness right now. So tempting to replace my '09 Vizio 55 incher.

The OLED's just looks more beautiful IMO. Pricey but it would be a much more better upgrade.

Maybe I'm a snob but I have an 8-year-old 50"in Samsung 720p plasma and a 5-year-old 60" 1080p Samsung Plasma. Both are lower end basic models for their time.

I've been casually shopping for a 4k set as my 50"in panel has a vertical line out and I want a smart TV where I don't need to use an Amazon Firestick.

Maybe I'll return it all together and wait until I have no choice as the Plasma is unserviceable......

Only the latest and most expensive TVs are catching up to the picture quality of Plasma.
They are getting closer but not in budget TVs.

We had a 59 inch Panasonic Plasma for a good 7 years or so, recently replaced by a middle of the road Samsung and still perfectly happy (and more) with the picture.

On the plus side, since you mention price and I guess price is a consideration. Our 59 inch Panasonic Plasma used 750 watts of electricty)
Our 58 inch Samsung LED uses 170 Watts. Pretty significant difference.

You may have a defective set and I would not settle for a dead pixel as well.

I have about a 10 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma that has died and come back to life numerous times. It has had the documented red blink of death. Seems like if I unplug it for 20 minutes or so it comes back to life. About 2 years ago it seemed dead as a doornail. I had a TV repair guy change out one of the boards for 120 bucks and it worked fine for a few months. Got the red blink again and thought it was a goner. Swapped it out for a spare 43" Element that I had around as a stop gap. Just for giggles tried the plasma after having it unhooked for a month and it came back to life and has been fine since.

I've looked at a lot of TV's especially when Walmart closes models out this time of year. I watch a lot of sports and am afraid to pick up a new TV and have it be subpar watching motion.

When I do buy a new one it will be either a OLED or a QLED. The plasma is great for heating my living room in the winter...not so much in the summer lol

One thing I do with any new TV is turn off all the fancy features and modes and get the brightness/colour/contrast calibrated to get a baseline.
I rarely turn any special modes or enhancements (Movie mode for 24 frames support being the only usual additional setting).

Another thing to remember is ATSC 3 is coming out this fall, likely only in high end sets but it’s a “thing” and will start affecting your content choices going into the future.

A Plasma is a CRT monitor (believe it or not) so if you like the bright accurate blur free image just pickup another good working plasma screen as a stopgap,
They are usually $50 or less

TCL is a bottom market TV as you are finding. Most people are very happy with what it does but you know better especially with a plasma.

The issue with market is all the real players find the US market not worth it so the 2nd and 3rd tier makers stepped in with cheap stuff even under the brands like Samsung, Sony and Panasonic. I am unclear if a market exists for mid and upper tier TV's priced similarly to what you paid for your old TV. I have a 10 year old 40" Sony Bravia I paid $1000 for. Maybe modern stuff at fraction of price is better but I don't always notice it.

I am snob but on monitors(spend $600-700/each) but TV's clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back