Spark plug wires and brand quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to order some spark plug wires for the neon, am seeing the usual brands, no bame, and performance beands. I found a comparison on a mopar forum that a guy hooked up measuring ohms. Spark plug test

I'm also seeing A/C Delco, Denso, and B&B? Wire sets. I did have a couple ac delcos go bad intermittently on the geo, so not sure. Any thoughts or real world experience? Or am i overthinking it. It is low milage and i want it to last me.

+1 on NGK, if they make your application. Have had a set of their 9mms on my 4g63t for 7 years now, and i always use their plugs in everything. Havent had a bad one yet. If they dont make your app, MSD ive had no issues with on American cars.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Autolite wires used to be junk.

Still are. I tried some Autolite wires on an F150 a couple years ago. All kinds of weird issues and they arced like crazy in the dark. Switched them out with Motorcraft wires and they've been great. To the OP, I've had good luck with Denso and NGK.

I mostly use Moroso spiral core wires. Occasionally, I'll buy similar from Napa Auto Parts. Will not use carbon rope "wires" on an enemies vehicle.

Have seen plenty of junk wires. Just buy good ones
smile.gif

I am a big fan of spiral suppression core wires over the old carbon cores. I really have been impressed with the quality of Magnecore https://www.magnecor.com/

That said, the carbon core seem reliable now, and so seldom go bad that I have not bought any in years.

Rod

Duralast is Autozone's house brand, right? I have them on my Suburban for about 75,000 miles right now. Been great.
If it's something fancy and I'm going to make the wires to length, I like Taylor.

NGK makes the best wires. Not only are they numbered, but they come in a snazzy blue color too
smile.gif

Part number 53011
(assuming it's not the SRT4)

Depends on the car. NGK is good for Japanese or Korean aftermarket, they are made in Japan by Seiwa Wire. Denso also sells wires but I've had bad luck with those - those are made in the US. You'll never find "true OEM" wires made by Sumitomo or Yazaki.

For American applications, I think most aftermarket is the same. I wouldn't be surprised if Standard/BWD makes them for at least 50% of the labels out there. United seems to source from Delphi Packard, which is of course OEM for GM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back