Bosch oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear many brands mentioned nothing much on Bosch?

Are they plagued or something?

I'm not dedicated to anyone filter. Just happened to be using one.

I take it purolator makes a bad filter I hear they have a nickname tearolater

Might switch back to a Delco.

^^That's getting to the point.^^

My conclusion about BOSCH oil filters is that the company or those retailing them, tried to capitalize on the famous name.
Often a "Make it a BOSCH filter for $2 more" notice accompanied oil change specials.
Also, I remember them being priced higher than necessary.

How do the Distance Plus high $ ones rate? I got a bunch on clearance at Wally and plan on using one very soon.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
How do the Distance Plus high $ ones rate? I got a bunch on clearance at Wally and plan on using one very soon.
I've never seen (or heard of) a Distance Plus filter failing, and they do have the heaviest can & baseplate I've seen, even heavier than a Royal Purple filter.

Back about 10-15 years ago there was an oil filter study here on BITOG that was one of the first I saw. Can't find it now, but Bosch was one of the better ones in that study.

That was when Vatozone had 5 quarts of GTX and a Bosch oil filter for $12.99-13.99. When they would do that deal as opposed to the same oil with a Fram I would always stock up on the Bosch.

I've run them for 15 years or so. Never had a bad one. I change oil every 5K miles on my highway cars and every 3K on the truck and the Jeeps.

Currently running a 94 Accord with 260K on it, and wife's Mazda 6 has 150K on it. My prior daily driver was a 93 Accord that had 360K on it when I sold it. Used no oil, still got 30+mpg

So while I view WIX as the best, Bosch has worked well for me for 15 years or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeepwm69
Back about 10-15 years ago there was an oil filter study here on BITOG that was one of the first I saw. Can't find it now, but Bosch was one of the better ones in that study.

That was when Vatozone had 5 quarts of GTX and a Bosch oil filter for $12.99-13.99. When they would do that deal as opposed to the same oil with a Fram I would always stock up on the Bosch.

I've run them for 15 years or so. Never had a bad one. I change oil every 5K miles on my highway cars and every 3K on the truck and the Jeeps.

Currently running a 94 Accord with 260K on it, and wife's Mazda 6 has 150K on it. My prior daily driver was a 93 Accord that had 360K on it when I sold it. Used no oil, still got 30+mpg

So while I view WIX as the best, Bosch has worked well for me for 15 years or so.
Unfortunately, Bosch Premiums started having the same issues as the (very similar) Purolator Pure Ones-they started having poorly spaced media causing tearing issues-both were decent 15 years ago, now, not so good. Although I've used my share of both for short OCIs with no issues, personally.

Good to know. I still have a few in my stash. Actually have a bunch of truck and Jeep filters that I loaded up on when Walmart put them on closeout.

I'll have to do a search and see these media issues of which you speak. The thought never occurred to me that they would have declined in quality, although I guess it should have given that it has on just about everything. I bet I have 25-30 filters for a SBC. Got them for .50 each at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere. Surely they're good for 3K oil changes?

Good to know. I still have a few in my stash. Actually have a bunch of truck and Jeep filters that I loaded up on when Walmart put them on closeout.

I'll have to do a search and see these media issues of which you speak. The thought never occurred to me that they would have declined in quality, although I guess it should have given that it has on just about everything. I bet I have 25-30 filters for a SBC. Got them for .50 each at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere. Surely they're good for 3K oil changes?
Yes-if they're the black & white Super Tech filters, they are made by Wix & are similar to a NAPA Silver-and being for a SBC, they might not have the combo valve (which is their only weakness, IMO).

Check thru my cut and posts. You will see hundreds of torn Purolator and "made by Purolator" tore filters

I get alot of the Bosch workshop filters still made in germany, for fords, toyota etc. Are we talking about the same filter with torn media? With numbers like 72166WS ?

They are excellent built filters, though not as efficient % as a Fram Ultra.

Got them for .50 each at a Walmart in the middle of nowhere. Surely they're good for 3K oil changes?

They'll go over 10,000 with easy. EASILY. The media is thicker & stronger.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

They are excellent built filters, though not as efficient % as a Fram Ultra.
The D+ isn't bad-thought they were around 94% @ 20 microns? Their biggest advantage is the can, they are literally built like a tank-they are my go-to for vehicles that run on gravel roads with a low mounted filter, they are virtually impossible to damage with road debris (when I can find them). If Fram could just make the Ultra with the D+ can...
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back