FF; 1,049 mi; '18 Ford F150 5.0L (3rd Gen Coyote)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clock hours - 31 total, 7 idle. Had to go on several long drives to reach 1,000 miles, which Ford said not to tow before. Was curious about fuel dilution with the new dual injection system (DI and MPFI). I can live with 3% but still worried it will increase since most mileage now is short-tripping (less than 2 miles per trip) or towing a ~6,500# boat. Typically will not go over 5,000 miles per year. Anyway, at 7.2 cSt it was not far from being out of grade. Looks like it probably started life in the low 8.x cSt range. At least Ford walked the walk by putting a SAE 20 grade in as factory fill. My change was a mixture which should have a starting cSt of 9.1 so I consider it good to go. Probably sample after boating season to see how it looks.

The 2018 owner's manual says 5W-30 is what they're using now. With 3% fuel, I'd say that it was indeed a 30 diluted down to the 20 range it's in now. Otherwise, all looks as expected (or even better than expected).

I have made the switch to 5W-30 in my '13 just because I wanted to play around. Thanks for posting, anyway. I am contemplating an '18 myself.

I would never run a 20WT oil in any V8, let alone one that tows or is DI or Turbocharged. Ridiculous!

I'd stick with a popular 5W30 if you plan to keep the truck and want it to last vs getting that .00001% economy that that CAFE crooks forced Ford to do.

Magnatec 10w30 would be a good choice. Thicker for 30 weight, 11.6 CST @ 100c, NOACK of only 6.95. Would be better for the extra strain on the engine from towing. I think this is one of the lowest NOACK oils you can buy, aside from pennzoil ultra platinum (but that test was from like 4 years ago).

Being slightly thicker should help with fuel dilution, and it will stay in grade better with the low NOACK.

Last edited:
WOW is that 9 qts capacity!! in your heat a 10W would be better, towing heavy maybe a 15W may be better, depending on the oils quality. good luck with your new ride!! even though manufacturers are MUM with DI issues spending to develop a dual system shows theres room for improvement!!!

Ford is updating to 5w30 because of direct injection, and as we all know, some versions take 5w50. I think heavy 30s to light 40s are ideal for this engine if being stressed, and a heavy 20 to light 30 if not, but it will happily run on anything starting with 0w or 5w in all reality.

Originally Posted By: racin4ds
... I'd stick with a popular 5W30 ....

My 9.1+ cSt @ 100°C mix is just about, almost, nearly a SAE 30 grade. Got to think about warranty and extended service plan matters you know.

Originally Posted By: benjy
WOW is that 9 qts capacity!! ...

Actually it is 8.8 quarts but the Polaris system would not accept fractions.

Tbh, i will never put anything but 5w40 full syn in a V8 either, but not because i think its for everyone, because i think its best for my driving habits (bat outta [censored]) and climate (below zero winter, above 100 summer), and gives a cushion of saftey if things get hot. That said, there are folks who only need a 30wt, because they never put their foot into it, just cruise on the highway to work. I also believe, that there is a place for 20wt oil. Folks who only drive a very short trip to work, and never reach operating temp, are best off with this. You are 100% right about CAFE though, it is the main reason why they slap that grade on the lid.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Ford is updating to 5w30 because of direct injection, ...

Maybe with the EcoBoost but not in this application according to my manual. In the 5.0 Mustangs 5W30 is the spec for track use, I think. The 5W50 spec looks to be for the 5.2 Voodoo.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
The 2018 owner's manual says 5W-30 is what they're using now.

My apologies for wrong info. I had recently downloaded the PDF of the owner's manual and on page 437, just as plain as can be...it shows a graph showing 5W-30/0W-30 for the 5.0 engine. Unfortunately, it's just the messed up way they printed it out in the PDF. It's actually a graph for the 3.5 but they tacked it on to the first page of the 5.0 info.

Messed up way to print things out, but my fault for not studying it better.
blush.gif
I was looking at it as part of my research on the new trucks.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads
...Unfortunately, it's just the messed up way they printed it out in the PDF. ...

Agreed. Very confusing.

I was waiting for a new 5.0L UOA! Thanks!

Ford is actually recommending 5w-20 or 0w-20 in the new 5.0 as per the owners manual, only the Ecoboosts in the F150 are getting the 30 grade recomendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back