Pennzoil High Mileage 5w-30 SL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sample taken from Pennzoil 5w-30 SL High Mileage 5qt jug. Not tested for TBN.

Don't know what to say...I had high hopes for this product but it looks like this has the worst add pack I've ever seen in an OTC oil.

Should I have shaken the bottle prior to sampling? Would that have mattered at all?

Codes on Bottle:
Batch# HLPA254662
Date 08/24/04
Time 14:09

-

[ March 17, 2005, 11:26 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Poor quality control? It's actually funny how low it is. Is that the GF-6 oil?
grin.gif

Something is not right about this. I can't believe this test is correct.

Mike: I am going to PM you and ask you to send this oil to our tech department along with a copy of your Blackstone test.

I know how tight our quality control is and I can't believe something like this would get out. But we need to know.

Pennzoil is a great oil and has shown very consistant results on here. Could just be a bad test. It happens. And with guys like Johnny following up with you on this should make you feel good about using their products.
cheers.gif

You would not think the bottle would have to be shaken. If the product is made right the additives should never settle to the bottom. I'd like to see what the explainations or excuses will be. If I experienced this with any oil, even Havoline the company would loose my business for ever.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
And with guys like Johnny following up with you on this should make you feel good about using their products.
cheers.gif

It does! His service is second to none!
In fact, I bought two more PZ 5w-20 jugs at the local Walmart today as they're getting rid of most of their SL products. $7.00 per jug is a good deal in my book.

Rob: Knowing how you feel about Pennzoil, I'll just say this. If there is something wrong, everyone on this site will know as soon as the test results are reported to me. Good or bad, I will let everyone know.

I certainly hope that if you ever make a mistake driving truck for the State of Kansas, that they don't fire you. I hope they would give you a second chance.

If there is something wrong with this batch of oil the correction will be made. This is why we put date codes on them along with the rest of the numbers. That way we can tell when, where, and what date that oil was made. We can also tell who the oil went to and a recall would be put out. And god forbid something would happen to someones engine because of this oil, we would replace it.

Oh, there won't be any excuses, just facts.

[ February 01, 2005, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Johnny ]

Johnny, I have actually reversed my thought process about Pennzoil all together through board postings and my research of their products. I would have no problem running Pennzoil products in anything I drive or operate. I consider Pennzoil to be high quality stuff! My prior assumptions about Pennzoil and their poor performance in engines that I have torn down from the 1970's and not the products produced today. So yes, I admit my assumptions about todays Pennzoil products were totally wrong. Where I do have problems is quality control. I'm hard on this but, if it does turn out to be just that someone deserves at least a repremand. If I slip in my quality or I'm careless I do stand a very good chance of being fired. Yes, mistakes do happen but, should not happen at the expense of someone's engine. Another point to be made is the replacement of an engine due to a poor product. I want facts. It is hard for me to believe that any oil makers would ever replace an engine if their product caused the damage. Nearly every claim in existance has to be settled by getting a lawyer. It is never cut and dry. You can have mechanics testimonials etc... and I would put money on it no matter who the garage or oil producer is, a person will still have to get a lawyer 100% of the time. Its the American way to lie, cheat, and steal from the American public. Talk is cheap and so is the labeling by producers backing up their products. I want the proof that the consumer is being taken care of properly by American businesses.

Well it looks like we found the Penzoil motor oil that causes sludge. Are you sure this was not some Penzoil SB 30 weight motor oil from 1965. It is really hard to believe that the #1 seller of motor oil in USA would make a mistake like this. It has always been my opinion to never trust the market leader in any industry in the USA. Marketing schools teach that the leader can always give less than the competition and still maintain market share with greater profits.

Aljames, nothing from 1965 here. No sludge either.

It's either an errant batch or Blackstone is wrong. I'm inclined to think that Blackstone is in error here. Another member here, millerl, sent out a few VOA's the same time I did and half of his numbers were skewed as well. To have these errors appear at the same time isn't conincidence in my book.

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Aljames, nothing from 1965 here. No sludge either.

It's either an errant batch or Blackstone is wrong. I'm inclined to think that Blackstone is in error here. Another member here, millerl, sent out a few VOA's the same time I did and half of his numbers were skewed as well. To have these errors appear at the same time isn't conincidence in my book.

I was thinkin that too, but Blackstone notes in your results that they ran it twice?

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
Yeah, they ran it twice, but I think they need to rerun it once again, with another lab tech.

Do you have any left from the same jug? It would be interesting to see what a different lab says...

I'd call Blackstone labs out on this one. They tend to show low numbers compared to other labs.
confused.gif

Before I send the jugs back to Pennzoil...

Blackstone was kind enough to re-run another sample I'll be sending them tomorrow. We'll know more from Blackstone in a few days...

[ February 08, 2005, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: ToyotaNSaturn ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back