Ants in the wall outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was a new one for me, we were seeing little ants roaming around the kitchen counter occasionally. Finally noticed what looked like dirt falling onto the backsplash right below the outlet, and what looked like something oozing out of the outlet holes. Got suspicious, turned off the breaker, and took the cover off while armed with ant spray. It was FULL of ants! I gave a couple blasts of ant spray, took the switch and outlet out and pulled some masses of dead ants out, but is that just where they happened to make a nest? Hoping the spray discourages them from coming back.

If you have underground wiring the ants can get in. If you don’t then you have a nest somewhere along the way.

Exterminator time! They've nested in the wall cavity, they need to drill a hole in the drywall and spray insecticide in.

They're just building a new nest closer to the source of food or water inside.

You don't need to go to epic measures for this. Try putting some ant baits out, likely that'll wipe out this remote colony startup. Try to find the point of entry next and put poison granules outside for that, in between periods of rain.

Ants seem to be drawn to electricity even though it kills them. I have had problems with them getting into the contacts of my account unit and they will fill up the end of a extension cord if you leave it lieing in the yard.

Killing the ants at a location does just that kills them but not the nest with the queen. I would seriously consider an ant bait gel that the ants take back to the Queen and kill her. You should be able to find it anywhere, or check some local DIY pest control places. If you go to a DIY pest control place take a few of the dead ants so that the sales person can help ID the type of ant and steer you to the right product. Don't do that at HD or Lowes b/c most of the employees are uninformed. Good luck

These are the very small black ants a little over 1/8th of an inch? If they are go to Home Depot and get yourself some Terro Liquid Ant baits. They will get in there and take it back to the nest with them. We had them last years used the Liquid baits and we don't have any in the house this year. A few outside but I have the baits outside the house working on what few ants we have.

I have 14 ant baits out in my kitchen and laundry room now. Every spring they invade.

Thanks all, yes, these were small sugar ants, not carpenter ants or termites. Not more than 1/8" long. Thanks for reminding me about the Terro stuff, maybe I should put a square with some of that in the outlet.

Borax mixed with fine sugar works. They carry the mix back to the colony and feed it to the larvae which kills them.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Borax mixed with fine sugar works. They carry the mix back to the colony and feed it to the larvae which kills them.
I use this system all the time,,yes they carry it back to the colony and they are gone in no time,,,borax is the best...no more sprays here and all that pollution...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Exterminator time! They've nested in the wall cavity, they need to drill a hole in the drywall and spray insecticide in.

Not quite there yet.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
They're just building a new nest closer to the source of food or water inside.

You don't need to go to epic measures for this. Try putting some ant baits out, likely that'll wipe out this remote colony startup. Try to find the point of entry next and put poison granules outside for that, in between periods of rain.

There you go. I've found the small round metal canisters of bait work well(or whatever plastic things have replaced them). Also OP, be sure to remove any possible sources of food and water. Wiping with a chlorine based wipe will remove their ant trails (created with scent) that they are following around your house.

It will take a few days, but do these things and they'll be gone.*

*unless they're termites in which case, follow dishdude's recommendation.

Last edited:
I used Ortho Home Defense along with the Terro baits. Spray the Ortho around the house perimeter both inside and out. Also look for live ants outside and see if you can find any nests. Or mounds of dirt with tiny holes coming out of it with some ant activity. Spray them good. First time not having ants this year inside. I did find a few right outside the garage door but still sprayed the entire outside perimeter and a few areas inside as prevention. Always easier to treat before they arrive.

plug something in
28.gif

If they're sweet loving ants, Terro is wonderful. Pour some out and they gather around --slurp, slurp, slurp...die, die, die. And they take some back to the queen. Like drinking Kool Aid with ground glass in it.

Tempo SC. It's a concentrate.

Orscheln Farm Stores have it for around $12 to make 2 gals. of mix. Safe around kids and pets. They use it in schools.

Great residual action. Buy a one pint hand sprayer or reuse a Windex (or Dollar General) window cleaner sprayer to spray it.

Be sure to mark the sprayer to avoid Catastrophes!

Also available on ebay. You don't need a license to buy it.

Great for many species of insects/spiders.

Last edited:
There probably entering the house between the bottom piece of siding. Once there killed caulk under the siding.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

They can spray in the wall through the removed outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back