OIL FILTER RELOCATION KIT, looking for feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning guys!
I have a unique situation of which I am seeking feedback or insight on.
2011, Ford Ranger, 29k mi, 4.0v6, auto, 4x4, ext cab.
Yes you read it correctly, only 29,000 miles! 20Yrs from now it will still probably only have 39k!!

My Dad is now retired and seems to be trying to simplify all things in his life. One of these is vehicle maintenance. He tells me that the oil filter in truck is a PITA to change, I have never even put eyes on it to speak of its location in any way.
I generically suggested an oil filter relocation kit... Well, he took me up on the thought and started to do some research.

My only true experience with one is many years back, a friend and I did a v8 conversion to a Chevy S-10 (very common back in the 90's in the mini-truck or show truck world). We used one because the stock filter mount would simply not work due to space, we used a relocation kit (I think from JC Whitney) and mounted it to a frame rail.
My Dad was asking me several questions about doing this and wants to move forward dependent on insight we receive here.
I told him I had just the group to ask for info, BITOG! In a perfect world we would love to source one that moves the filter to the top of the engine compartment and takes a cartridge style filter like his new Forester or my Sorento takes. However we have only found ones that are traditional spin on style.

Questions/Concerns:
Is it even feasible to do?
Do you have a recommendation for a specific quality kit?
Do you think we would have a oil pressure issue due top length of lines and so on?
Any suggestions on location?
(I obviously understand that it needs some level of protection in terms of location and that we should keep air flow in mind)
What other concerns or questions should we have?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

That has all the potential to cause more problems than it will ever prevent. Don't waste your time on it.
If you want to simply things, install a Fumoto valve or take the truck to the dealer or wherever and have the oil changed.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
That has all the potential to cause more problems than it will ever prevent. Don't waste your time on it.
If you want to simply things, install a Fumoto valve or take the truck to the dealer or wherever and have the oil changed.

I'd just take it someplace every 2 years to have the oil changed.

There are plenty of potential issues with getting a reliable installation, but oil pressure is not one of them. Oil pumps create flow, and oil pressure comes from the engine presenting a controlled restriction to that flow. Adding a few feet of properly sized hose adds negligible resistance compared to all of the tiny clearances the oil has to squeeze through in the engine.

Why the requirement for a cartridge filter? If anything a spin on would be quicker and cause less of a mess compared to a cartridge.

But it may be easier to just have a shop change the oil. Consider the cost of an oil change at the shop compared with the cost of sourcing the oil + filter yourself, then see how many oil changes it would take for the relocation kit to break even.

It is not that difficult to get to the oil filter on those... at the low mileage driven, less trouble than putting the kit in.

The simple thing is let an oil change place do the change, one you trust not to touch a **** thing besides the oil and filter.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a filter relocation kit, but dont cheap out on the hoses or yes, they can leak. Now if i recall, that engine has the filter up on the passenger side, quite a ways up. They initially used the FL1A, later the FL400s and some use the FL820s. I personally like the capacity of the FL1a, but it doesnt have a silicone adbv, so i use the Purolator One version, which does.

There are two different Frantz bypass filter companies now, one sells a synthetic element. The cellulose element filters finer and takes out water, which ought to be good in this case. It may be possible to get an adapter that eliminates the full flow filter entirely. Or maybe they only have a sandwich adapter now.
Check Amsoil's website for ideas too.

If you need "another county" to report in......the previous answerers both pro and con are on the money.

If your Pop is gettin' up there (arthritis in the hands etc.) and you want to set him up with easy-to-do oil changes....that's one thing, but practicality and economy say don't do it.

Similarly, if it's a hobby activity from which you get enjoyment, then do it.

Best of luck with your decision.

I used a bypass kit for a few years. Only problem was the hoses got hard after about five years so they should be changed sometime. Leaks are just sloppy installation I would think. I just used hose barbs and worm clamps and that was good for 100 psi and no leaking.

I have the trans-dapt one on my 1994 Pathfinder. The swivel fittings on one end leaked right from the start. So I took them off and used non swivel barbs, with hose clamps. I've driven it probably 20k miles and there are no leaks. My oil changes are much easier, and I have more oil/filter capacity as well. It added almost an extra quart to the change.

I personally like it but for how many oil changes that truck will see, maybe not worth the time to install.

i too am looking into a relocation kit, but for my 2011 nissan frontier with a VERY small OE filter that is a PITA, but just want a bigger quality filter. many kits use the 3/4X16 mounting used on a LOT of vehicles + WIX makes the XP version of the typical Ph8A filter used in many fords. my nissan uses a 20mmX1.5 filter mount. there are a lot of kits out there with varying prices, some like Amsoil are way $$$$ but many are around a buck depending on the quality of hoses, you can source quality braided hoses with pressed on fittings as well + use with separate adapters. the cheap trans-dapt kit i was looking at had a pair of 30" hoses but could be cheaply exchanged for longer ones from trans dapt if not used. my engine compartment is "busy" but i think i can do the 5.05 X 3.66 PH8a spin on, no fram of course!!

My 2 cents,

Instead of installing a relocation kit,
Use a Fram Ultra Filter and change it every 18 - 24 Months.
I believe there good for 15,000 miles.

wsar10 can go to his Dads house and change it for him.
Do something for your Dad and also sit and visit.

https://pitstopusa.com/i-23943159-perma-...side-ports.html
Throw a couple of DBL7349's on it, and you have a great little filter relocation kit. Can't beat that setup with a stick.
cool.gif

That should be a healthy 100k mi FCI right there.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Fram Ultra. You won't need to change the oil filter until it's got 20,000 miles or more on it.

We have the Fram Ultra these days, and Fram does indeed say it can easily go up to 20k miles. Its a full-synthetic media, wire-backed, silicone ADBV, so it doesn't much care about time in there. Also, Mobil1 Annual Protection will easily do 1 year, or a maybe a little more with your usage pattern.
I'd change the oil (no filter change) every year. Then change the oil filter every 2 years. Walmart oil change place can put the Ultra on there for you.

a small better filter is good, but a big better filter is a lot better IMO!! it was noted on NORIA an oil specialty company how VERY important filters are + to NEVER change oil without a NEW filter. i change my better tea cup filters at 6 mo regardless of miles + oil yearly which is 5 to 10 thou as i am retired + ride motorcycles in nice weather!! my new to me 2011 frontier 4.0 has the smallest filter i ever seen except my 650cc thumper, girlfriends cub cadet has a bigger filter!!!!

I don’t know why anyone should be worried about an oil filter relocation kit. Your transmission sends it’s oil to a remote oil cooler, my Chev V-8 sends it’s motor oil to a remote oil cooler. No big difference sending it to a cooler or through a filter. Just make sure everything is clean, the seal is in place and the clamps are tight. Try Summit Racing or Jeggs. There are lots to choose from. Give your dad a break!

i don't drive slush box trannies + my Redline MT-85 stays in my 6 spd manual tranny!!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
it was noted on NORIA an oil specialty company how VERY important filters are + to NEVER change oil without a NEW filter.

I'm not buying into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back