Best glue for Lens Refractor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have what must be 15 year old dusk to dawn lights in my backyard. They are still working, but the Lens Refractor (the plastic shield that protects the bulb from the elements) fell and cracked. The company's customer service pointed me to amazon, where i can buy a replacement for $20, but I'd like to save some cash and just glue the one I have. Customer service had no idea what I should use for that. It is in four pieces, all of which fit evenly onto each other. Here is the amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Lighting-8...ywords=800-0713

Any suggestions on what glue would be best to use? If I have to go out and buy something, it really should be less than 20 bucks. I suppose I could just use the normal crazy glue that I have, but if there is something that I can get for a few bucks that will hold better, I'd be willing to spring for it.

FWIW, the amazon page says the product is acrylic, although that doesn't necessarily mean that the one I have in my back yard is made of that substance.

Last edited:
take it to a plastics shop and ask for the right cement. If it is acrylic it will be a chemical solvent based glue that melts the peices back together. After you buy the glue and take the time glueing plastic that is old and brittle you may be better off buying a new one for a twenty.

In that case I might be better off just using what I have at home here already, and if that doesn't work, then replacing it.

I have Duro Super Glue, JB Weld KwikWeld epoxy, and a tube of Dial Mek Gluing compound here at home. Well, Gorilla wood glue, but I don't imagine that would be better than the other three.

Originally Posted By: paulri

I have Duro Super Glue

Super Glue(CA) would do the trick, however, regular thin Super Glue doesn't work as well as thicker CA glues do. I keep a bottle of model airplane CA in my spare fridge and have used it for just about everything over the last several years. Best place to get it is a hobby shop.

I ended up going with the ABS cement that I already had. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back