Tire sealants, recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy some tire sealant to put in mower and snowblower tires. I want to remove the valve core and pour it in there.

Any recommendations? How's Slime?

I had leaky snowblower tires - would be flat in a week or 2. Tried Slime and they are holding good going on 2 months now.

I used Slime in a old car tire that had a lot of weather cracking, etc and it worked perfect. Still holding pressure several years later. The tire isn't used on the road btw. Way too cracked up.

I have tires that tend to leak around the bead. I've done the tube route and it's great but don't want to spend the money.

Back in the day when I worked in a service station (ever hear of those?) we would use this on rim leaks for good measure.

It's amazing how many problems trace back to rim leaks.

Wire brush or buff the rust/imperfections on both beads of the rim and coat the tire bead with this or similar.

Most times it fixed the problem.

And.... BTW---before I'm flamed...if you're breaking down the tire using a machine in the future the sealant causes no problems.

https://mt-rsr.com/products/copy-of-patc...ASABEgJI5PD_BwE

Last edited:
Slime is great stuff. I just used it on a wheelbarrow that is over 30 years old and it sealed it up fine. Good product, fair price. Not sure how it would do if you used slime and then later tried to put a new tire back on the slime-soaked rim. Cheap and readily available.

Last edited:
Motorcycle riders have reported good results with Ride-On sealant. They find that it works well, and is easier to clean out than Slime when the tire needs to be replaced. My Prius Prime plug-in hybrid car doesn't have a spare tire, and I put Ride-On car formula sealant in the tires just in case. Ride-On makes various formulations for different uses. The ATV might be most suited to mowers & snow blowers.
http://www.ride-on.com/atv-and-utvs.html

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Motorcycle riders have reported good results with Ride-On sealant. They find that it works well, and is easier to clean out than Slime when the tire needs to be replaced. My Prius Prime plug-in hybrid car doesn't have a spare tire, and I put Ride-On car formula sealant in the tires just in case. Ride-On makes various formulations for different uses. The ATV might be most suited to mowers & snow blowers.
http://www.ride-on.com/atv-and-utvs.html

I use Ride-On in my bike, found a screw stuck in it, pulled it out and it did end up completely sealing up the hole (after a couple days of slow leaks).

I use Ride-On because of the purported qualities over over sealants. My dad has used Slime on several tires in the past with good results too, those were mostly slow leaks that weren't due to a puncture. Ride-On is a little pricier than most other options though. If it were me, for a mower/blower type application, I'd buy whatever was cheaper and more available. Looking at Amazon, you can get a gallon of Slime for $20, that sounds like a steal compared to 32 oz of ATV Ride-On I paid over $20 for.

For either product, I don't think you need to remove the valve stem, just the valve core. Since a mower and blower doesn't move too fast, I would squeeze in a higher than average volume of sealant so that it can better coat the inside slowly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back