Oil for N54 335i in New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've done my research on this and honestly I've just wound up more confused than ever.
Most on here seem to recommend Castrol Edge, but the Euro blend not the US blend, some say that Titaium FST is fine in the UK, but the exact same branding in New Zealand where I am is not due to mixing differences?
Here's what I'm using at the moment: https://www.castrol.com/en_nz/new-zealan...e-5w-40-sn.html
I got told off for using that on another forum and told to use this instead: http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Product/Shell-Helix-Ultra-Engine-Oil-5W-40-4-Litre/367459
From what I've read it seems like a mixed reaction to Shell Helix (I think it might be the same as Rotella in the US?).

Anyway, I'm just after some clarification once and for all.

Here are the oils most easily available to me: http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/store/oils-fluids/engine-oil/1021652

Here's some info on my scenario from the "What oil should I use?" sticky:

1. 2008 BMW 335i N54
2. Not too sure as I only have access to the USA manual which only says 5w-40 or 5w-30, I assume LL01 is the required certification.
3. The North Island of New Zealand, reasonably warm most of the year, only about 10 days below freezing in winter.
4. Generally pretty cruisy with the odd hard burst
5. Probably 60% short trips 30mins. Probably 70% open road, 30% city.
6. Seems good apart from high copper and lead in the last couple of UOAs that I'm troubleshooting.

Preferences would be Full Synthetic, and I think 5000-7500 km intervals would be ok.

Any help or insight is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Castrol Netlube recommends Edge 5W-30, Edge 0W-40 or Edge 5W-40. I'd go for 5W-30, it's A3/B4, but the 0W-40 is too.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Castrol Netlube recommends Edge 5W-30, Edge 0W-40 or Edge 5W-40. I'd go for 5W-30, it's A3/B4, but the 0W-40 is too.

Thanks. Is there a reason you say 5w-30 over the others aside from cost?

Is it cheaper ? There is a narrower viscosity spread with the 5W-30, which is something to go for, it's also Castrol's first choice for that engine. I'd also be looking at ACEA for a BMW rather than SN.

You want any oil that is rated BMW LL-01

So choices are (off the top of my head)
Castrol Edge 5W30 A3/B4 (A very thick 30 grade with the same HTHS as some 40 grades)
Castrol Edge 5W40
Castrol Edge 0W40
M1 0W40 (we still get the old and good LL01 formula in Oz & NZ last time I checked)
Penrite HPR 5
Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (this is not Rotella but Pennzoil Platinum Euro in the US)
Valvoline SynPower 0W40

Check the back label, if it has BMW LongLife-01 on it, then you are good to go.

Me ? I would go Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or Edge 0W40 or Edge 5W30 A3/B4

In this application it doesn't have to be confusing at all. Like SR5 noted, use any oil in any grade that has actual Longlife-01 certification. That is all that matters. Grade is irrelevant with LL-01 certification, they all meet a minimum HTHS. Avoid any oil that is "recommended for" LL-01 and doesn't carry the actual certification or doesn't have any certifications at all.

There is no need to pay more, just buy the cheapest one that has LL-01.

If you are on stock tune then use Castrol 0w40. If your tune is hopped up (like every other n54 owner does) then use a high performance oil like Motul or Redline.

Last edited:
Holy [censored], I just checked your SCA NZ link. WOW $92 regular price for the Edge 5W-30 A3/B4. Looks like the Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 is almost cheapest right now. As SR5 said, LL01 is what you want. Don't go 5000-7000kms on these oils. Go 10K on it at least. 70% open road, no problem. Been to NZ once. Loved how you were on the highway right out of the city. Many lanes, everyone speeding. Was great. You should see Adelaide (South Australia). No one knows what a highway (have like two [censored] expressways in the whole city) is and keep left unless overtaking does not seem to apply.

The ultra is a good oil. I did buy myself some of the Edge 5W30 A3/B4 recently. It was under $30 bucks for 5L so I couldn't resist!

Thanks guys, I picked up a couple of the Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4 on sale today for $48 per 5L, not bad I reckon
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back