Gloomy day... so I washed the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured: why not? It finally cooled down a little bit, and I'm on vacation before vacation. I've been looking for a reason to bust out the rotary polisher that I've had sitting new in the box, anyways!

I washed and towel dried, followed by a complete top to bottom clay bar, using Mother's Instant Detailer as a lubricant. I followed that with Meguiars #2 fine-cut on a foam polishing pad, and finished with Mequiars #7 glaze. I double-buffed the entire surface by hand using a fresh cotton cloth each time at the end, and finished with a quick misting of Mother's Spray Wax and a hand buff.

I wasn't too worried about getting "show car" results, but there was lots of bug, tar, and road grime that was stuck in the paint and it looks MUCH better than before. Those black accents along the upper door edges were so swirled they didn't even shine after a fresh wash. Now they almost look like piano finish. I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out, and it only took 4 and a half hours. I probably could have taken a little more time in places but that's all my arm has in in for one day.

Thanks for looking!

GOOD JOB!!!

quick question (noobie):
did the bug grime and tar got out/cleaned by the regular wash or just by claying?

Just curious.

Thank you (also for the Volt "Chronicles" serie)

I forgot I took this one as well. This was right at the beginning, after the first buff. The camera really doesn't pick it up well, but it's smooth as glass.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
GOOD JOB!!!

quick question (noobie):
did the bug grime and tar got out/cleaned by the regular wash or just by claying?

Just curious.

Thank you (also for the Volt "Chronicles" serie)

Funny you ask. I just got back from a 350 mile round trip for memorial weekend, and the car was PLASTERED in bugs. I went to the local car wash and ran it through their basic option, then brought it home and scrubbed a bit harder to get more gunk off.

After that, it was mostly the clay that got the really tough stuff off.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
So you enjoyed your polisher?

Other than it's heavy? Yea I enjoyed it. It's just a cheapo Harbor Freight unit. But it was quiet and did it's job!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back