Where is the best deal for extended warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota Camry XSE Hybrid 2018

Yup, father in law's. He still has the 97 parked somewhere (he asked me to take a look at it, I refused, because I am studying for job interview).

So I knows that he can get extended warranty from another dealer for a better price. The question is where can I find it?

Do you really need an extended warranty on a freaking Camry?

Only buy an extended warranty offered by Toyota. BTW, there are many Toyota dealers that offer a worthless 3rd party warranty product. The dealer that sells you that might not even accept it as they don't wanna deal with the measly flat rate such companies typically pay. They will find a way to blow you off as a customer.
Not that the warranty will ever be used as it's a Toyota after all.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Only buy an extended warranty offered by Toyota. BTW, there are many Toyota dealers that offer a worthless 3rd party warranty product. The dealer that sells you that might not even accept it as they don't wanna deal with the measly flat rate such companies typically pay. They will find a way to blow you off as a customer.

I don't, my 70 years old inlaw, yes. We want to be off each others' back. Good fences make good neighbors.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic about Toyota quality or not. I will assume you are being sarcastic due the the VAG products in your sig.

You've really gotta read the fine print on most of the plans and thoroughly go over what SPECIFIC components they cover. Assurion car warranty is a good one Ive been dealing with on a 2011 C63 AMG. Covered struts, sway bar links, motor mounts, actually covered a very good amount of cams and lifters as well! This weekend his alternator went. Covered $950 out of a 1300$ bill which is pretty good. Im pretty sure he paid 3500 or so for it, but worked out in his favor. I was sold one included with my GL, and have needed twice, both times inspectors need to come out and verify it, which usually takes a few days. First time was a conductor plate, which is part of the valve body. Valve body was explicitly covered, but they denied since it wasn't a mechanical failure, since it was an electrical is wasn't a valve body failing. Which is [censored] but they know its not worth fighting. Now Im having AC issues and have to wait 3 days for someone to come look at it. Other ones have required you to pay for disassembly and if the part isn't a covered component, you're not covered for any of it. The fine print, and reviews are worth it.

I think I might have forgot the details:

I want to get the Toyota OEM extended warranty, not 3rd party. Which dealer has the best deal / how to find them?

How did you get put in charge of finding an extended warranty for your father in law?

I didn't buy one when I bought my Camry but I'd imagine the best time to negotiate an extended warranty was when I was buying the car and before I signed any documentation.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
agree. go back to selling dealer and work your negotiation skills.

Or just buy from dealer that is offering the extended oem warranty at the lowest price.

I worked in the service and parts area for a Big 3 for 30 years calling on dealers. If you want a service contract for your car, always get the manufacturers plan, ie Ford-Ford etc. If you use the plan offered by your brand, you know where it is honored and you will get only OEM parts. I have seen numerous occasions where an aftermarket SC company goes bust and leaves the owners SOL. The dealer who sold the plan has no liability and I promise you that they will not help. Go to the dealer that you bought from, you will have a bargaining position since you have put money in their pocket. $100 over dealer is a fair price.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: raytseng
agree. go back to selling dealer and work your negotiation skills.

Or just buy from dealer that is offering the extended oem warranty at the lowest price.

I've read numerous threads about people buying warranties from the dealer and in general the dealer selling the car never usually has the best price for the warranty. There's usually some other guy out there that doesn't mind making $100 over cost. The dealer selling the car doesn't really think the buyer will shop somewhere else and that dealer is probably not selling their warranties at $100 over cost, those warranties are where they make the extra money.

It's a good thing OP isn't in Florida, I think state law there requires the residents to pay list price for the warranty even when buying out of state.

Only buy an Extended Warranty from the OEM manufacturer on a new car. No exceptions. OEM parts, OEM service.

If there is any problem, you have a target that is sensitive to publicity to shame. You don't get that with third party extended warranties; nobody remembers the company name and if it gets too hot, they just change it and carry on.

Note that the dealer may be selling you a third party warranty. Check to make sure before you sign anything.

Find out how long you have before you must buy the extended warranty (eg days / months, miles, etc). You may be able to shop around after you drive off the lot, and still get an OEM warranty.

If your hesitation is a price issue, you should be asking yourself why an extended warranty in the first place.

If it's for elderly buyers, make sure it's transferrable. Obvious reasons why.

Get answers to these questions from "the horse's mouth", eg Toyota, do not trust the dealer to tell you the correct information. So some homework before you enter the dealership is warranted.

My extended warranty was found online from a dealer in another state. they simply choose to offer them at a discounted price, volume versus more profit. It is a genuine Ford manufacturer warranty through a dealer, not a third party. Like the vehicles, dealers purchase warranties from the manufacturer and can resell them at whatever price they wish. Some choose to do it at a discount to get the volume.

If you buy most Toyotas or Hondas, an extended warranty is a big waste of money...foolish to buy one for most Japanese cars.

I am retired, raising a grandson that will need to go to college. Unexpected things happen in life. an extended warranty from the OEM helps me sleep better and that's what matters in my life.

I bought mine OL from a dealer in another state, but it is honored by any Chrysler dealer. I found it by perusing online Ram foruns and saved appro. $1500 over local dealer.

I don't know what Toyota offers, but the advice to only buy OEM is good and the Toyota forums would be a good place to start looking.

Originally Posted By: riklyn
I am retired, raising a grandson that will need to go to college. Unexpected things happen in life. an extended warranty from the OEM helps me sleep better and that's what matters in my life.

I bought mine OL from a dealer in another state, but it is honored by any Chrysler dealer. I found it by perusing online Ram foruns and saved appro. $1500 over local dealer.

I don't know what Toyota offers, but the advice to only buy OEM is good and the Toyota forums would be a good place to start looking.

I think this is the situation I'm in. 70 yr old people may just like to ask for everything to be checked when they are bored. I'd rather let the dealer and insurance dept work with that, I have more important things to do at this stage of my life, like raising kids, studying for the next hottest skill, interview practices. I don't even have time to work on my own car, let alone someone else's car.

BTW, that 97 Camry V6 is available for 1k before the inlaws get the reissued title and sent to junkyard. Currently it has been sitting for a month and can't start, but once it start it will run, until you see that warm start issue. Mileage is 150k in OK condition (slightly worn interior, rear bumper has a fender bender, otherwise most part of the body is age appropriate and garaged 1/2 of its life). $1k firm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back