The $600 nova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Man, you need to get some speed parts on that I6. Otherwise it looks awesome. Cool car. I’ll give you $700 for it Lolol

That is an integral intake engine (look at the position of the EGR valve), no speed parts available. Watch for coolant consumption from a cracked head.
Any non-integral head engine (194,230,250,292) will bolt on, then you can do things like this;

The start of my long delayed TBI 292 L6 build.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
3 speed column shift manual? I can't even figure out how to drive that.
crazy2.gif

its very easy. My first automotive job was at pep boys back in the late 80's. They would not work on that car because nobody knew how to drive it! That changed when I started working there at 20 yrs old.

Originally Posted By: CorvairGeek

That is an integral intake engine (look at the position of the EGR valve), no speed parts available.

I think I saw a thread (or maybe it was in a magazine) about adding two more single barrel carbs to the intake manifold--drill and tap in just the right spot so as to make tri-power. Most likely way less work though to just swap the head!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
3 speed column shift manual? I can't even figure out how to drive that.
crazy2.gif

I learned to drive on a Chevy 6 cylinder with 3 on the tree . No big deal if you can walk & chew gum at the same time .

I love it. As mentioned, too old and nice to trash as a beater.

I love column shift but the linkage tends to get loose and sloppy over the years and a lot of them get converted to floor shift.

Great find.

Shares the Camaro platform, so springs and sway bars from Z28 fit just fine, ditto wheels, etc. Delco actually made some good HD shocks for that model. I'd be on the look-out for a non-integral (NI) head.

For the NI head, Fenton still makes split cast iron exhaust manifolds. Would not go crazy on carbs. It's got grunt from teh six. Just roll with it.

Redline MTL in the tranny will make it shift nice, no matter what the winter temps are like.

Power steering parts are in wreckers all over. Z-28 steering box and PS pump will make it steer a lot better/quicker.

It's kind of a clean slate to do a nice cruiser
smile.gif

Please post pics when you change the valve cover gasket. Interested to see what the internals look like. Perfect beater car with big snow meats in the back for winter time.

WHAT! ! No airbags, pedestrian alert, automatic lane control, emergency release in the trunk, MP3 input, built in nav., bluetooth, SIPS, electric steering, CAF,

You shouldn't be seen driving that car. Imagine the humiliation.

I'll take it off your hands. Actually, $600 is what I paid for mine.

a low priced easy + cheap to upkeep + fix + decent MPG's. older economy cars can be great beaters or even daily drivers for little money!!

Originally Posted By: Ausfahrt
I love it. As mentioned, too old and nice to trash as a beater.

I love column shift but the linkage tends to get loose and sloppy over the years and a lot of them get converted to floor shift.

Great find.
Ya my 69 chevelle was worn out. It would get stuck in 2nd gear and the fastest way to fix it was to make circles with the shifter.
grin.gif

A really base car with dog dish hubcaps and no trim.
A solid basic car from the good old days.
My family had an upscale four door from this generation with F-41 and a real engine.
It was a fun car.
These are maybe the best cars from the Falcon/Maverick/Valiant/Dart/Volare/Aspen/Hornet era.
For what you paid for the car, I'd have been all over it.
Three on the tree would be a hoot.

I had a '68 Nova that was pretty similar to this one, except for being a 2 door-it was an OK car, but any decent modern small car would be more reliable and get better mileage. Also 3 on the tree was a major PITA-I never had one with any age on it that worked correctly all the time.

3 on the tree worked fine for s lot of years , as long as you were not cramming & jamming it . Like I did when I was a teenager .

Had a retired gm mechanic come over to adjust the cam on the bottom of the column and now it will actually go into 2nd and 3rd no problem.

I took it for a drive around town to see how it does after repairing the rear brakes and it drove fine it drives like luxury car compared to my rough old truck. Drove into the local gas station and filled it up with gas and added a can of gumout all in one it only cost $54 and some change ouch!

Up next the windshield is getting changed and the clutch is getting adjusted and all pivot points and grease fittings are getting lubed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back