The $600 nova

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get you're hopes up it's a four door anyways it is from 1978 and does needs the brakes repaired the windshield needs replaced also it runs and drives fine just got to find the nearest tree to stop.
It has a 250 1 barrel I6 with a 3 speed manual on the column no a/c no power steering or brakes. Should be a fun winter beater once i get it repaired.

cool car! inline-6s are always good
smile.gif

3 speed column shift manual? I can't even figure out how to drive that.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
3 speed column shift manual? I can't even figure out how to drive that.
crazy2.gif

Three on the tree baby!

Usually first is toward you and down, second us up and away from you. Third is away from you and down. Reverse is toward you and up.

R--2
1--3

Last edited:
Man, you need to get some speed parts on that I6. Otherwise it looks awesome. Cool car. I’ll give you $700 for it Lolol

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Man, you need to get some speed parts on that I6. Otherwise it looks awesome. Cool car. I’ll give you $700 for it Lolol

Too nice for a winter beater!

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Too nice for a winter beater!

You ain’t lyin

this car is loaded with rust it looks really nice in the pics because in the shadows there is rust. it came from northern michigan.

it is low geared enough in the rear axle that it is fun it is posi traction and that old six has snot.

Nice. I had a few cars, a van, and a Suburban with a three on the tree. It can be converted to a floor shifter. I know a lot of the younger generation don't know how to drive it, but what surprises me is how many people that don't know how to drive a stick!

Neato. Most of the four door novas of all vintage were cannibalized to build two door novas and camaros. Nice to see a running and driving example that will be left intact.

My father had 9 of them. From 1975 to 1979 models.

He had a govt job and drove one in the 80s and kind of got obsessed with them after that.

Yes he drove one during the winter with studded tires, but the low ground clearance hurt it in the snow.

His rule of thumb was to buy from elderly and less than 100K miles. He had a few that he bought with under 50K miles for under $500.

Engine oil was always Pennzoil Yellow Bottle 10w30.

There's a pretty good reason it's $600.

With a little haggling you could walk away with it for $500, if you're a glutton for punishment!

Looks too nice to be a beater. But if it's kinda rusty, beating on it is exactly what I'd do. Way too much fun.

Oh wait-Kentucky? Ok I can see that as a winter fun car.

Does it really have a posi trac/limited slip differential?
Despite what you might find on the internet, 1987 was the last year for the 3 on the tree.
It was available throughout the 3rd gen of C/K Chevy trucks. I worked for an employer in the early 2000's that had a bare bones 1987 with a
3 on the tree. There was also an older truck that had a 3 on the tree but was converted to a floor shifter.

Okay, there's a difference of 9 years, but I had a '69 Nova/Chevy II as a work car about ten years ago.
Unfortunately for the value of it, it was a 4-door. It was also the 153 4-cylinder with a Powerglide.
Still, it was a good work car and it got about 23 MPG.
Good, reliable cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back