How much refrigerant is in a can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i am in the process of buying refrigerant to fill my vehicle. It seems like an easy enough question but i couldnt find any info online. Lets say i have a can of r134a and it says net weight 12oz. Does that mean the can contains 12oz of refrigerant or does the can and refrigerant weight 12oz? Im just trying to figure out how many cans of r134a i need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joegreen
So i am in the process of buying refrigerant to fill my vehicle. It seems like an easy enough question but i couldnt find any info online. Lets say i have a can of r134a and it says net weight 12oz. Does that mean the can contains 12oz of refrigerant or does the can and refrigerant weight 12oz? Im just trying to figure out how many cans of r134a i need.

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/net-weight.html

You have to read the can. Some will have a small amount of oil in them as well.

I have a 12 ounce can in the garage, which is labelled as containing 11.3 ounces of R-134a, and .7 ounces of refrigerant oil.

"net weight" is the weight of just the contents inside the can
smile.gif

"tare weight" is the weight of the container itself, and "gross weight" is the "net"and "tare" weights

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Usually under the hood some where, it will tell you how much you need, for your system.
Got to go from there.
I need 1lb 14oz. Im just trying to figure out how many cans i need to buy is all

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: joegreen

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/net-weight.html
Thanks i understand now

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
"net weight" is the weight of just the contents inside the can
smile.gif

"tare weight" is the weight of the container itself, and "gross weight" is the "net"and "tare" weights
Thanks

Looks like ill get 3 cans and put 2.5 cans in.

Last edited:
It seems to me that the old r12 system worked well even when undercharged or overcharged a bit. It seems to me that with the r134a systems , there is a fine line between undercharged and overcharged.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
Is your system totally empty and do you have a vacuum pump?
Yes the system is totally empty. I have a gauge set and a vacuum pump. Anyway the a/c is all repaired now. thanks

Originally Posted By: spasm3
It seems to me that the old r12 system worked well even when undercharged or overcharged a bit. It seems to me that with the r134a systems , there is a fine line between undercharged and overcharged.

Depends on the system as well, new AC systems are very sensitive to oil and refrigerant charge. That old GM accumulator and orifice tube system can tolerate some overcharge.

If you charged in with all 3 cans, I don't think an extra 5 oz of R-134a will hurt anything. You lost some while changing out cans, purging the charging hose and gauges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back