Concrete Anchors Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the concrete anchors that came with a gazebo that I installed last weekend, I measured their diameter with a drill bit gauge (since the made in China instructions didn't give much guidance) and they slipped through a 7/16" hole. I bought a 7/16" masonary bit, drilled the concrete and installed the anchors but they don't seem very secure. The were not the type that you smack with a mallet to seat and expand them, the are the expanding sleeve type that are supposed to expand when you tighten the nut at the top.
I'm worried that the thing will get airborne when we experience gusty conditions. I looked at some of the TAPCON brand anchors at Lowes and am thinking that I should replace the somewhat loose originals with 3/8" x 3" anchors. Am I going to have a problem with them being too loose in the holes I already drilled ?
What about the Redhead brand sleeve anchors, same size ? They are the pound in to expand type. I just want to make sure that the gazebo doesn't get airborne and take out the sliding glass door or my neighbors fence !

Is this gazebo on a concrete slab or a perimeter foundation?

7/16” does not sound big enough. Are you in a windy location? Obviously you are in earthquake country.

They should tighten strongly if the hole was deep enough and the anchor should tap into the hole not be loose. That is a very strong type in my experience, stronger than the steel part. Turn the nuts slowly so the wedge grabs, once it wedges in it is pretty obvious it is strong.

I had a brain far t so when I saw the title I thought you were wondering how to make a boat anchor from concrete. lol

Last edited:
Years ago I had this Hilti hammer drill with a kit for permanently mounting studs in concrete. I used it to attach diesel gensets to the floor. Worked great. I'm sure there are others.

Dwight_Frye,

Spend a few moments reading any of the concrete anchor mfg. sites. Most wedge anchors I am aware of use a drilled hole the same "nominal" size of the anchor. You either need to go up to a 1/2" wedge anchor (with 1/2" hole) or follow Cashmoney's advice and use an adhesive anchor with threaded rod. A third alternative might be a screw type anchor, but each manufacturer has different hole size specifications.

Is drilling new holes an option?

The gazebo is on a concrete patio outside of the sliding glass door. We intend on leaving it up year round although if Santa Ana wind conditions are forecast we will remove the canvas cover for a few days just to be safe.
I can drill the holes a little larger in diameter and deeper if needed, I bought a Harbor Freight hammer drill for the job. The instructions for using the anchors that were supplied with the gazebo kit were worthless, they just said to drill holes, diameter unspecified, tap the anchors in and tighten the nut on the end to expand.
I think I will pull a couple of the ones that don't seem that tight and try the TAPCO bolts. If that doesn't seem secure I will go to a larger size or I like the idea of a specialized adhesive to lock the anchors to the concrete. If the wind tears the roof off it will be an "act of god" but if the whole thing comes loose from the patio I will never hear the end of it from my significant other.
If I had to do it again I would probably pour about 50 lbs of pea gravel into each hollow aluminum post before assembling it and still use concrete anchors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back