I really want to get a subaru but need convinced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always wanted a Subaru for some odd reason and I'm not sure why. I have recently submerged myself into massive amounts of research looking at the Legacy and Forester. Of course whenever you hit a subaru forum, the place is littered with oil consumption threads. I realize this can be highly misleading but it seems to be a major concern for me. I like cars that have no measurable oil consumption during an OCI. There are no polls/threads that I could find where people were claiming to have no consumption so I really don't have a clue how small of an issue this is.

And yes, I know full well every carmakter out there is having these issues. You can google any car model and "oil consumption" and find massive issues including lawsuits. So it isn't a Subaru only thing but I'm still a bit leery.

How many people here own a 2016+ FB25B engine and don't have any measurable consumption?

Are there any other quirks to owning a FB25? It sounds like there used to be head gasket issues on pre-FB25B but not anymore?

Are there any other quirks to subarus in general? Do they make good AC systems? Is the CVT reliable (plenty of complaints about those, too)? Is it easy to work on yourself? Do any wear items go bad faster due to being AWD?

Anyway....feel free to brag about your subaru here, too.

I've owned three in the past, my take is they're a niche market, you either love'em or can leave'em. Maintenance wise I think they're a little more problematic than your typical asian import.

Noticed you're in KC, if you want a AWD why don't you look at a Honda or Toyota.

Well I just love the looks and the size of Subaru's but I'm not going to take a chance on one or a few other new models. No my 2004 is running just fine and burns no oil to speak of less than half a quart in 5 to 6K OCI. I figure I'm going to wait for some real improvement over the hype they are peddling. I figure the Corolla is good for another 10 years plus anyway unless someone totals it.

As for the Subaru engine I'd have a way more fuzzy feeling if it were an I4 engine over their H4 design.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

Noticed you're in KC, if you want a AWD why don't you look at a Honda or Toyota.

The Honda AWDs around here are both too pricey and rather dreadful in poor weather from my experience. I don't have any experience with Toyota AWD systems but generally around here toyota is waaaaay over priced too.

If I look at toyota, it would probably be a used 2018 camry with the 2.5L.

We have owned three Subarus since 1999, all purchased new. Two Legacy wagons (2.2L and 2.5L engines respectively) and an Outback (2.5i). The 2.5L engines consume one quart of oil during a 5K mi oil change. I considered that acceptable. We had no head gasket issues with any of the three. All have gone 120+K miles or more before any untimely demise not related to the vehicle mechanics. The two older Subarus got the Subaru radiator treatment, which may have contributed to our success in the head gasket area.

Current 2011 Outback has the CVT and no issues. I had the ATF changed at the dealer at 105K and it seems to run as well as when nearly new.

I view the key to success as following the owner's manual maintenance guidance but voluntarily changing out the CVT ATF at least once.

Subaru is a polarizing brand. I can't see myself owning one. The head gasket issues, the oil burning issues, the weird maintenance access issues, the rusty body issues, I just don't get the appeal.

I've never owned one, but our company had a 2006 Legacy sedan that I used often for business travel in Ontario, Michigan and it always left me sore and a smell of antifreeze each time I drove it.

Maybe if I was born in Vermont, female loving female I'd have a different perspective on this brand?

I'm afraid that if you're looking for a non-luxury priced midsize AWD sedan, the Legacy is about your only choice.

Originally Posted By: nap
I'm afraid that if you're looking for a non-luxury priced midsize AWD sedan, the Legacy is about your only choice.

Get a last of the MY19 Fusions?

New Altima?

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

New Altima?

The AWD Fusion is too thirsty and the Nissan is a non-starter.

Might as well go luxury if that is a must have.

Subaru is a good brand. A lot of their parts come out of the Toyota parts stream. (Denso etc). Toyota owns a chunk of them.

They had some issues several years back but from what I can tell that is in the past.

I have a 2008 Legacy GT with the 2.5 turbo engine. Neat little car, sporty looking but compared to other 4 cyl cars of its size, it gets terrible MPG!! It does run very well and is very fun to drive but the usual maintenance and parts cost is double what an average Honda or Toyota is...

I will say, mine does not lose/use barely any oil at 155k. I have recently developed a small drip at the oil cooler which is just an O ring. But it doesn't show up on the stick during a 5k OCI.

Do what I did. Instead of a Subaru, I bought a 2017 VW AllTrack. Great car, burns NO oil in 5000 miles per change and has fantastic traction i snow and rain. You can even lock the center diff and drive like a Subaru if you want. I have had the car for 17 months and have never been back under warranty (true of the three VW's I owned, including the 2013 Passat in my signature). I average as high as 36-37 mpg on a trip now that the car is broken in. No CVT but the dual wet clutch tranny.

Take a test drive of one and see what you think. Their chief competitor is the Subaru.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

New Altima?

Altima AWD not available yet.

Once you configure the Fusion with AWD you're close to Acura/Lexus offerings.

I'll have to check the dipstick tonight. I did notice they slightly overfilled the oil when new, so I hope this still isn't a problem. I did a bunch of engine braking in the first few days so hopefully that helped.
For us anyways, the Outback checked all the boxes. Hopefully the most reliable awd system, as its the only drivetrain they make. Reasonable tow rating even for the 4 banger. Simplest engine with the best mileage in class was also good. I think the 2018's now are the same in NVH as any mid size car on the highway. They went with dual pane side glass which is usually a luxury car option. It's much better than the 2006 CRV it replaced anyways.
My only minor complaint is highway tracking, it does wander a little but its got near zero or even slightly positive front camber so I might ask to get the front aligned to the most negative camber in spec which should help.

I loved my 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS. Truly loved it. It was my buddy. It fit me perfectly. I loved the way it drove. It was fun in good weather. It was awesome in bad weather. And it was a sharp looking car. Shame the WRX wasn't available in that year or I would have bought one.

But I loved it so much I looked past its issues, all of them fixable with some time and money. The leaking valve covers, the leaking head gaskets, the leaking coolant crossover pipe, the leaking 3" piece of fuel hose, the resulting 'dirty old car' smell, the premature rust above the rear quarters, the bad wheel bearings, the P0420 codes, the catalytic converter that needed replacing... and ultimately the spun rod bearing that killed it at a young 114k miles.

I miss that car, but as I mourned it, I bought an Accord Sport, a nice safe option. But now after three+ years of boring ownership, I'd kill for a new WRX with a stick.

Originally Posted By: Boomer
Do what I did. Instead of a Subaru, I bought a 2017 VW AllTrack. Great car, burns NO oil in 5000 miles per change and has fantastic traction i snow and rain. You can even lock the center diff and drive like a Subaru if you want. I have had the car for 17 months and have never been back under warranty (true of the three VW's I owned, including the 2013 Passat in my signature). I average as high as 36-37 mpg on a trip now that the car is broken in. No CVT but the dual wet clutch tranny.

Take a test drive of one and see what you think. Their chief competitor is the Subaru.

I like the alltrack but I didn't think the MPGs were that great, relatively speaking. I'll go check it out. Does it require premium with the turbo?

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet

The Honda AWDs around here are both too pricey and rather dreadful in poor weather from my experience. I don't have any experience with Toyota AWD systems but generally around here toyota is waaaaay over priced too.

If I look at toyota, it would probably be a used 2018 camry with the 2.5L.
Go look at Crown Volkswagen and Toyota in Lawrence. They always seem to have the best prices on VWs and Toyotas in NE Kansas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back