14 Corolla Headlight Low Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine has a 2014 Corolla that has a low beam out. She was told that the entire headlight assembly is required to be replaced when the LED bulb fails. Does anyone here know if this is true? Also, I was thinking a junkyard might be a good alternative to paying $800 for the new assembly. If anyone has any suggestions or alternative approaches to fixing it, please let me know. I wanted to start a new thread to make sure that all new forms of repairs are accounted for if there is an aftermarket fix. Thank you all.

I just looked up a couple of videos. Yes, this is true. And IMO really stupid. You can replace the high beam and all of the other bulbs, but the low beam is sealed to the assembly itself.

I watched one video, but wasn't sure since the car appeared to be a slightly different model. I figured it did have to be replaced. I will have her look for an aftermarket model. Thank you all. This is why I love this forum.

wow what a horrible design. my wife has a 2017 corolla after hearing this I am glad she leased the corolla.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Dorian
I will have her look for an aftermarket model. Thank you all. This is why I love this forum.

You can get an aftermarket one just make sure it's CAPA certified. Rock has them in stock for $228 plus shipping. There are 5% off codes on here. I'll see if I can find one. Otherewise look in the promotions thread.

How many miles on this vehicle?

If less than 200k I would buy another OEM assembly.

BTW how did the LED fail in the first place? I've had OEM halogen bulbs go 200,000 miles.

The problem with LED's is there is not a standard socket, they are all soldered on heat sinks. The New '18 Camry's can be taken apart to replace a cloudy lens so you don't have to buy a whole new assembly.

Also this should tell you something, the cheap vehicles with ONE led for low beam are far inferior to fancier cars with MUTIPLE leds on low beams, like the Lincoln MKX top of the line.

27212.jpg

Last edited:
Buy the cheap replacement and bank the rest. The next time you need a replacement, if you do, it should be under $400 due to greater competition and/or junkyard availability.

Originally Posted By: 03s
Originally Posted By: Dorian
I watched one video, but wasn't sure since the car appeared to be a slightly different model. I figured it did have to be replaced. I will have her look for an aftermarket model. Thank you all. This is why I love this forum.

This video is for a 2016 Corolla but it should be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b1xI-VcnRs

Pretty pathetic... 2016 vehicle and replacing headlight in 2017 (date of YT vid).

LEDs are supposed to have a long life and if a "sealed" assembly lasted 10-20 years that might be okay. However a couple years and it requires a new assembly... pathetic.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
How many miles on this vehicle?

If less than 200k I would buy another OEM assembly.

BTW how did the LED fail in the first place? I've had OEM halogen bulbs go 200,000 miles.

The problem with LED's is there is not a standard socket, they are all soldered on heat sinks. The New '18 Camry's can be taken apart to replace a cloudy lens so you don't have to buy a whole new assembly.

Also this should tell you something, the cheap vehicles with ONE led for low beam are far inferior to fancier cars with MUTIPLE leds on low beams, like the Lincoln MKX top of the line.

27212.jpg

The MKX is so superior that IIHS rates the headlights as Marginal.

The Corolla, at least starting with the 2017, when IIHS tested them, they are so inferior, IIHS gave it a better "Acceptable" Rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back