Mazda MZR / Ford Duratec 2.3 Filter comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to run an errand stopped by WM on way. Current EG CH9641 same design as far right EG (and Champ), only now made in Korea same as the Champ. Same type date coding, no Julian date. One I looked at made 10/16/2017. My speculation would be made in same factory as far right Champ. The Tough Guard version also made in Korea.

I use the MC FL 2017 Cartridge in my 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3 and it does not twist at all compared to the M1 and Fram I used early on with the Fusion. Excellent filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Had to run an errand stopped by WM on way. Current EG CH9641 same design as far right EG (and Champ), only now made in Korea same as the Champ. Same type date coding, no Julian date. One I looked at made 10/16/2017. My speculation would be made in same factory as far right Champ. The Tough Guard version also made in Korea.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
The Wix XP sure looks nice.

It is a really well built filter. The plastic mesh makes it very durable, and it allows for tighter pleat spacing versus the metal wire mesh on the Fram Ultra. The Wix XP is very similar to my the Mercedes OEM oil filters (from MANN). They all have a very similar synthetic filter material, and plastic mesh. I was planning on posting a comparison of the Mercedes filters I have found in a few days.

Many do complain about the Wix XP efficiency ratings. I'm planning on doing some UOAs to see if I notice any differences between filters.

I’d love to see an independent apples to apples test of the Wix XP and Ultra efficiencies. I suspect the difference is not as large as people think.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
I’d love to see an independent apples to apples test of the Wix XP and Ultra efficiencies. I suspect the difference is not as large as people think.

Not sure what test spec WIX uses for efficiency measurement - it's not referenced anywhere on their website that I can find. WIX claimed it's "propriety" (per a phone call conversation a while back), which means it's probably not ISO 4548-12 because that's been an industry standard since around 2000. WIX use to show the XP being 50% @ 20 microns efficiency on their website, and that's what they use to say on the phone. Nothing shown these days on their website about the XP efficiency number.

At any rate, at least Fram references the ISO 4548-12 efficiency test spec and they aren't trying to hide anything like WIX seems to be doing. If WIX does use the ISO 4548-12 test spec, then that's as close as you're going to get for an "apples to apples" comparison.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
... The Tough Guard version also made in Korea.
Interesting, considering the TG10358 cartridge says made in China. One is in my car now.

Originally Posted By: JC1
How many years worth of oil filters do you have now?

Way too many!! 10 years worth. Mostly the ones that I received from Rock Auto for just over a buck each. I will plan to hand down the car to my 5 year old son once I run out of filters, and let him take over the maint duties
smile.gif

Now to look at them after they have been used. This Wix 57203 was pulled out on 5/20 after just over 2500 miles and 6 months in use. UOA here - UOA.

The filter was in great shape. Some very minor twisting, which probably occurred when it was initially installed. The hole was NOT in the filter when I removed it, but I used my finger to press through the filter media to see how strong it still was. It took quite a bit of force to break through.

I use the MC FL 2017B in my 2.3 Duratech engine for 10K OCIs. No twist and great performance.

I have used the MC FL 2017B om the past. Certainly not a bad filter. Although, I believe when I was using it it didn't have the internal plastic cage, so that is an improvement. Compared to the Wix 57203, I preferred the Wix due to the pleat spacing and overall construction. If you have any sitting around, it would be good to know the number of pleats that it has. Here is what I am seeing on the filters I have:

Wix 57203 - 73
Wix 57203XP - 53
Fram XG9641 - 30
FRAM CH9641 (old design) - 50
FRAM CH9641 and Champ P960 (red rubber top) -51
Champ P960 (and most likely the latest Fram CH9641 which are both made in Korea) - 55

Since there was no report of number of pleats on the Motorcraft version of this filter, I purchased one myself to analyze the latest version of that filter. I also used a $20 credit from Summit auto that was about to expire to purchase a couple different filters I have not used before. Here is the final pleat count on all the I have filters in order of greatest number of pleats to leat (new additions in bold):

Synthetic Media:
Wix 57203XP - 53
Fram XG9641 - 30

Paper/Cellulose Media:
Wix 57203 - 73
Hastings LF594 - 67
Beck/Arnley 041-0817 - 61

Champ P960 (and most likely the latest Fram CH9641 which are both made in Korea) - 55
FRAM CH9641 and Champ P960 (red rubber top) -51
Motorcraft FL-2017B - 50
FRAM CH9641 (old design) - 50
ACDelco PF1703 - 50

In my opinion, the traditional Wix is the gold standard because of low cost, high pleat count, and overall build quality. I included that filter in with the new filters for comparison:

The one of these that surprised me most was the Beck/Arnley, which was a German mad filter. It is a similar build quality on what you would see on Mann Mercedes and BMW filters. Very good quality, although the number of pleats still didn't match the Wix. Here is a closer look at the box and filter:

And, a closer look at the seam:

As for the Motorcraft (USA made), the only thing that stood out to me about that filter that seemed to be a plus was the internal plastic cage, but I don't see that providing much since the filter housing itself has it's own cage on my Mazda. Other than that, the pleat spacing was wide overall, especially near the seam:

Also, the felt "gasket" material at the end of the filter was much thinner than the other filters that utilize a felt gasket:

Here is a close up of the Hastings (Korean made), and ACDelco (Chinese made) for comparison:

All in all, I think if I ever do have to purchase another filter for this car
blush.gif
, I would probably stick with the traditional Wix for overall value. All these filters would do just fine though.

I use the Fram Ultra filter for my 2.3L. The filter construction is exceptional in my opinion. I use it for 2X OCIs, typically 15K miles. I'm sure it could go longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back