Nutgrass/Nutsedge Weed Control

Status
Not open for further replies.
These buggers seem to love my lawn and I have spent more time than I'd like pulling them out.

nutgrass600x600.jpg

So I was not happy to read this:

Quote:
Weed pulling in gardens usually results in breakage of roots, leaving tubers in the ground from which new plants emerge quickly. Ploughing distributes the tubers in the field, worsening the infestation; even if the plough cuts up the tubers to pieces, new plants can still grow from them. In addition, the tubers can survive harsh conditions, further contributing to the difficulty to eradicate the plant. Hoeing in traditional agriculture of South East Asia does not remove the plant but leads to rapid regrowth.[3]

Most herbicides may kill the plant's leaves, but most have no effect on the root system and the tubers. Glyphosate will kill some of the tubers (along with most other plants) and repeated application can be successful. Halosulfuron-methyl[19] will control nut grass after repeated applications without damaging lawns.[20] The plant does not tolerate shading and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) slows its growth in pastures and mulch crops.

I've had success with using a combination of Basagran and a liquid post emergent crabgrass control, forget which one, methyl... I believe.

There's a new product on the market, cost is $400 and will do 1 acre.

I, too, have had good success with Basagran in ag applications. Sulfentrazone is labeled for excellent yellow nutsedge control and is available in an Ortho homeowner product.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Am I bad if I say that just looks like grass to me?

Yes

I kill it in rocks and in mulch (just got a mess of them near my mints) with Spectracide … but in the lawn like that you’d have to soak the soil and pull it from way down …

I had a new zoysia lawn sodded about 12 years ago (sold the house 5 years ago). There was lots of nutsedge in it. It took me I think 4 years of walking (kneeling) the lawn every week and pulling all I could before it was mostly eliminated. The lawn had to be wet to get the tuber.

The turf maintenance firm who took care of it told me that it became a real problem when the selective herbicide used in the sod farms was outlawed about 2002.

Years ago I worked for Scott’s Lawn Service and we used a product called Sedgehammer that was very effective. We used a surfactant with it to make it adhere to the plant better. Ortho actually makes a product for nutsedge however in my experience it is sub-par compared to the Sedgehammer.

Nutsedge is a pain. Been fighting it for years since they took msma off the market. Some stuff works, some don't. I did the physical pulling thing for about a year, but it just kept coming back. I just got in the habit of cutting more often.

you didnt specify what grass you have. but sedgehammer and sedge ender have worked for me but it can be a difficult process. be careful when temps are above 90

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back