Who’s the non-boutique NOACK king at present?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember before the GTL days, Pennzoil Ultra received high praise here for insanely low NOACK. At the time it was definitely the best off the shelf oil in that regard. I’m going to exclude boutique brands like Redline and Motul here, and just ask which common oil (brands you can easily find at Walmart, AutoZone, etc) holds the NOACK crown in 2018?

Magnatec i believe would be one as someone posted noack #'s for few grades

Last edited by a moderator:
If the info at oil-club.ru is accurate, Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30 is under 6%. That's insane.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5w20 is 7.6.

Something that concerns me about Valvoline is how they purchase their base stocks from different suppliers all the time because they don’t own any refineries. So how do we know that one batch of Valvoline anything is the same as the next? I mean yes if they always buy Group III then there’s some expectation of similarity, but also what kind of variation could this practice cause?

Odd that BITOG consensus is boutique oils add no additional performance and then are promptly excluded from consideration when they actually do. lol

Quote:

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5w-30

In all practicality, a boutique oil for $ and availability; I could shuffle down to NAPA and pick up some ATM at < 5% NOACK more easily.
If someone is feels NOACK is important enough to shop for the lowest, why wouldn't you want the lowest?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

Something that concerns me about Valvoline is how they purchase their base stocks from different suppliers all the time because they don’t own any refineries. So how do we know that one batch of Valvoline anything is the same as the next? I mean yes if they always buy Group III then there’s some expectation of similarity, but also what kind of variation could this practice cause?

They would have to certify any new formula. One of the experts here will know more.

Synthetic
Magnatec 10w30 6.9%
Valvoline Syn 5w20 7.6%
Valvoline Syn 10w30 8%

Conventional
GTX 10w30 10%

They would have to certify any new formula. One of the experts here will know more.

Yeah, I believe if its got API certs and etc with a particular brand and type of base stock, they couldnt just change to a different brand willy-nilly.

I don't know that they purchase their base oils from a host of different suppliers just because they don't own refineries. Can you share any links where this information is shared? Interesting thought though, curious.

My guess is that they don’t buy their base oils weekly from the market at spot price. But have instead some long term contracts with a few stable suppliers. Which are capable of consistently meeting V’s specifications for said oils.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I don't know that they purchase their base oils from a host of different suppliers just because they don't own refineries. Can you share any links where this information is shared? Interesting thought though, curious.

But we know Amsoil is low NOACK and buys base stocks from XOM … no problem there other than cost and Builder approvals

Probably PPPP 10W-30.

Last time NOACK was published for that oil, it was 4.7%.

One of the lowest of any multigrade out there, regardless of price. And it’s 5 qts @ WM.

API has base oil interchangeability guidelines that determine what tests, if any, need to be redone if the base oil is changed after the original oil already passed all of the API tests. “Engine testing is not required when a single interchange base stock that meets the definition of Group I, Group II, Group III, or Group IV is used at less than or equal to 10 mass percent of the blended PCMO formulation. In some cases, higher percentages of Group III or Group IV may be substituted without further engine testing as specified in this appendix or in the ACC Code (Appendix I, Guideline 5). The ACC Code should be followed for Group V.”. Further details are shown in here: LINK

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Probably PPPP 10W-30.

Last time NOACK was published for that oil, it was 4.7%.

One of the lowest of any multigrade out there, regardless of price. And it’s 5 qts @ WM.

Wasn’t that years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back