Vari-Lok friction modifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the local Jeep dealership perform some maintenance on the rear axle of my Jeep GC. They refilled it with gear lube but not friction modifier. It is a Vari-Lok limited slip differential.
They claim the tech who did the work is top-notch on Jeeps and he says friction modifier is not needed on the Vari-Lok. My Factory Service Manual says otherwise. I had them put the FM in before it left the shop.

Anyone heard of a factory change in protocol on this??

Last edited:
If the hypoid gear lube they used was spec'ed for LS applications (like Mobil 1 synthetic 75w-90LS), further friction modifiers may not have been needed. What does your service manual say specifically about their recommended replacement gear lube and friction modifier?

not a jeep guy but i know they use some Dana 44 rears + on my Nissan with similar theres a drain plug in the VERY bottom. i used redline's diff lube + it requires no xtra additives either!!

Agreed,

Dealership could be using a synthetic that is labeled for no additional modifier needed.

Sounds like the tech dropped the ball. The Vari-lok axles need the additive for sure. So you have a Quadra drive GC?

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
Sounds like the tech dropped the ball. The Vari-lok axles need the additive for sure. So you have a Quadra drive GC?
you can NOT make that blanket stament with knowing what it was filled with

Last edited:
Dealership work if they can get away for cheaper but still charge the higher amount. They'll do it for sure

Yes, the Vari-Lok comes on Quadra-Drive GC's, which is what I have. The Factory Service Manual (FSM) calls for Mopar Gear Lubricant 80W-90 or Mopar Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140. (The dealership installed 80W-90 Mopar P/N 68218043-AA.) https://www.dealers-mopar.com/chemical/action/guide/en_CA/GEAR+AND+AXLE+LUBRICANTS/68218043CA/

In either case, the FSM says:
NOTE: Trac-lok and Vari-lok equipped axles require (4 ounces) of Limited Slip Additive be added to the lubricant." This is on page 0-5.

Interestingly enough, on page 0-7, it says "With Track-lok or Vari-Lok, add (2.5 ounces) of Friction Modifier." Both of these recommendations are for the rear axle.
I added 4 oz. when I changed the lube 80,000 miles ago.

So far, no one here has heard that Jeep no longer requires Limited Slip Additive???

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back