The Fun Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently, my "fun car" is a 2000 Ford Taurus wagon. We bought it 9 years ago for family trips when the kids were young. We've since added a Subaru Outback (wife's car) and take it on all our trips. The 4th gen Taurus was one of my favorite cars as I used to get them as rentals when I was just starting my career. Reliable, good power (DOHC), comfortable and cheap to fix has been my experience. I'm well versed on them and the AX4N vs AX4S transmissions, mine has the AX4N with regular fluid changes.

Talking to my boss one day, he's an accountant who has only purchased used cars and keeps them about 5 years. He generally sells them for what he paid or makes some money. He likes Merc SUVs right now. I have only purchased new cars and keep them 10+ years. The Taurus was my first used purchase and it's been a good one.

I'm now 6 years in with my Mazda CX5, it's a great vehicle but too underpowered. I knew that when I bought it and only use it for work. It'll make a great first car for my son when he starts driving.

For our next car, I've been thinking of something a bit larger. The Outback is great, except when we go camping it gets cramped. We'd like to take more trips out west (500+ miles) and are leaning in one of two directions:

2019+ Subaru Ascent
2003 - 2006 Lexus LX470 (aka Toyota Land Cruiser)

Subaru PRO - Safety/Eyesight/Mileage
Subaru CON - $40K

Lexus PRO - Bullet Proof/Cruiser/$10-15K
Lexus CON - Mileage/Safety

I'd like to hear some opinions on those that have bought used. The Lexus would be a more "interesting" car as it has character while the Subaru would be more "generic". Other than size, it should ride/handle/drive exactly like our CX5 or Outback (an appliance).

This video was an influencer as I'd been thinking about a Toyota V8 vehicle for a few months.

Last edited:
He spent 2100 to start and then added plenty. Doesn't seem like a deal for a 19 year old vehicle with over 300k miles. I know it's a tough truck and looks good.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Get the Land Cruiser if you can afford the Land Cruiser.

Always.

Well said. It's a consideration as well, it just seems the LX470 was also a replacement/compliment to the LS430/460 in a retiree's garage (read low mileage and dealer maintained) while Land Cruisers were mostly punished by owners.

Those Land Cruisers are not that interesting in comparison to the old ones. If you want one import a tough one or buy an old one. That will put you in the poor house with bad mileage. Those ones have always struck me as a Japanese Range Rover. I understand they are probably pretty capable off road, but they are too decadent for me to take seriously.

Subarus are boring, If you are willing to drop the $40k get a Tahoe.

Such a strange vehicle comparison, lol.

Originally Posted By: JC1
He spent 2100 to start and then added plenty. Doesn't seem like a deal for a 19 year old vehicle with over 300k miles. I know it's a tough truck and looks good.

He added tires, new seats, new steering wheel, offroad bumper, rock sliders, rear hatch and paint detail/correction. I'd have to rewatch but it was like $6000 and some change which is really not bad.

Going through autotrader.com I find examples in good/mint condition (no accidents) are around $15K - 19K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Those Land Cruisers are not that interesting in comparison to the old ones. If you want one import a tough one or buy an old one. That will put you in the poor house with bad mileage. Those ones have always struck me as a Japanese Range Rover. I understand they are probably pretty capable off road, but they are too decadent for me to take seriously.

Don't forget the Taurus wagon is my favorite...making it even stranger-er.
smile.gif

I guess I've always liked the LX450 and early LX470 and similarly Toyota Land Cruiser of that era.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2002 Maxima SE

smile.gif

This is BITOG buddy, that generation of Taurus is loved around here, almost as much as a GM W Body with a 3.8 in Buick livery.

I guess I've always liked the LX450 and early LX470 and similarly Toyota Land Cruiser of that era.

I just checked fuel economy: 12/16, That is putrid.

They are cool, but V8 SUV = GM. GM makes the best V8s and the best V8 SUVs.

smile.gif

This is BITOG buddy, that generation of Taurus is loved around here, almost as much as a GM W Body with a 3.8 in Buick livery.

If it would fit in my garage, this comparison would be the Subaru Ascent and Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon!

If you like your CX5 but want something bigger, check out the CX9. It is larger and has a 2.5 turbo motor while still achieving what I consider good gas mileage.

I would also consider the Mazda CX-9. That turbo 2.5 has a lot of torque. The Subaru Ascent would also be a good choice. Another possible choice would be the Toyota Highlander.

Originally Posted By: mazdamonky
If you like your CX5 but want something bigger, check out the CX9. It is larger and has a 2.5 turbo motor while still achieving what I consider good gas mileage.

That's a great car! I have thought about the CX9 and would put it in the same bucket as the Subaru Ascent (slight advantage toward the Ascent because of how much we like the Outback). Slight advantage around:

Simplicity/Reliability of the Eyesight System. It has no "in bumper" parts to the system (just two cameras in the upper windshield) so in the event of a front end crash, it will be less expensive. Most other makes bury radar into the front emblem.

Ease of maintenance. Changing oil is not hard, but on our Outback there are no under parts to take off to get to anything. Same for the engine bay, I can reach everything for ongoing maintenance (headlights, filters, plugs) without removing a thing. The CX5 is a bit cramped and less maintenance friendly. It's a very slight advantage...

I'm either all in on a new car or all in on a "as reliable as possible" used car. I don't know if any of you follow Doug Demuro, but his posts on his Range Rover and Carmax warranty are awesome!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I would also consider the Mazda CX-9. That turbo 2.5 has a lot of torque.

I'm betting in a few years there will be a cx-9 to cx-5 turbo swap.

Land Cruisers, 4Runners, and their Lexus cousins are assembled in Toyota's Tahara plant at Tahara, Aichi, Japan, or at Hino Motors' Hamura, Japan plant. Worldwide these two plants are year after year rated among the best in the world for quality.

So, if you want to get a deal on a Land Cruiser or a Lexus then buy a 4Runner and forgo some of the bling. With the money, you save you can add your own accessories and modifications.

smile.gif

If it would fit in my garage, this comparison would be the Subaru Ascent and Buick Roadmaster Estate wagon!

That's a pretty unfair comparison as the Buick wins easily because it has a rumble seat.

The Cx-9 is not comparable to the Ascent. It is more fun to drive but cramped in comparison. We tried the CX-9 out and were able to check out Ascent in person a month ago.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
The Cx-9 is not comparable to the Ascent. It is more fun to drive but cramped in comparison. We tried the CX-9 out and were able to check out Ascent in person a month ago.

The CX9 is comparable, it competes in the same class with Subaru Ascent, Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot and Toyota Highlander.

I would be interested in hearing your observations (I have not seen one in person yet).

That's a pretty unfair comparison as the Buick wins easily because it has a rumble seat.

As does my Ford Taurus wagon....
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back