Memorial day (Thank You!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Thanks for all that have served and no longer with us...
Thanks for those who served and are still with us...
Thanks for those who still serve...
A Big Thank You. You Guys are Tough.

Thank you for posting.

I had the pleasure of talking with a neighbor yesterday during my morning walk. He is 93 and a WW2 vet and former POW. He fought the war in Europe.

God Bless all our veterans, living and deceased.

Thanks to those who came home and those who didn't.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Most awesome post this year. Gonna watch the dirty dozen, taps, and mash tonight.

May I suggest The Green Berets as well. The ending is one that will choke up anyone.

My son is a disabled veteran. He was in Iraq and Afghanistan. Just after he was shipped back from Afghanistan for health reasons, his unit was shot up by an Afghan “policeman”, and some of his friends were killed. Of course he feels guilty for not being there with them.

Considering what he’s been through, he’s surprisingly well adjusted. I’ve already told him of my respect for him, and that I’m proud to have a veteran as my son.

My grand daughter is in Washington D.C. this weekend on a middle school field trip. She just sent pictures of Vietnam Memorial Wall inscriptions of my brother in law and a friend. She also visited Arlington cemetery. I'm so glad she is learning about those who have lost their lives serving our country.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Thanks for all that have served and no longer with us...
Thanks for those who served and are still with us...
Thanks for those who still serve...
A Big Thank You. You Guys are Tough.

"I can't walk but I can still shoot."

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Most awesome post this year. Gonna watch the dirty dozen, taps, and mash tonight.

May I suggest watching "We were soldiers once" "Platoon" "Hamburger Hill"

Pete - I sincerely appreciate the sentiments. Thank you for expressing them.

But I think I speak for most vets when I say that I would rather not be remembered or thanked on Memorial Day, of all days.

Memorial Day has a specific focus: those who died in service to our nation.

I am not worthy to be included in that group, and I would rather the focus remain solely and completely on those service members who've paid the ultimate price. I don't wish to dilute the attention that they deserve.

The parades, the ceremonies, the remembrances, are all for them, and I would like to keep it so.

The best words I ever heard at a Memorial Day observance came from a small town clergyman who said of the war dead,"they gave all of their tomorrows so that we might have today."

Originally Posted By: Astro14

But I think I speak for most vets when I say that I would rather not be remembered or thanked on Memorial Day, of all days.

I am not worthy to be included in that group, and I would rather the focus remain solely and completely on those service members who've paid the ultimate price. I don't wish to dilute the attention that they deserve.

The parades, the ceremonies, the remembrances, are all for them, and I would like to keep it so.

Amen to that Astro, they are the real Heros.

I also think of those who served and came back alive, but not the same. Those who were severely traumatized and damaged...completely over-whelmed by their experience, leaving them so changed they no longer 'fit' into/with their families, friends or even society.

I see them as causalities of war, but of a different type. Many return here only to die at their own hand.

I remember them as well.

I so appreciate this post. Memorial day is not a day for all service men/women but for those that gave it all.

Veterans day is for the rest of us.

My late dad was a WWII veteran and I remember how much he hated the then becoming popular "thank you for your service" and especially the term "Greatest Generation" as he viewed both of those as trite vehicles that don't really mean anything. Although it was definitely out of character for him, he was known to say "Save it for the ones that didn't make it" on a couple occasions. I remember that every Memorial Day as it's both a real remembrance of him and the proper sentiment for the holiday.

Originally Posted By: BeerCan

I so appreciate this post. Memorial day is not a day for all service men/women but for those that gave it all.

Veterans day is for the rest of us.

Thank you for reminding us what this day is about. My Korean War Veteran father is adamant that Memorial Day is about remembering those that gave all defending our Freedom.

I remember one in particular. A finer, more humble warrior would be hard to imagine. He was the Son-in-law of one of my best friends. Rest easy, Nate.

Your right, thanks for pointing that out to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back