Bug and Tar Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just 5000 miles of bugs splattered on my car during the last 2 weeks road trip. No Tar. I tried rain-x Bug & Tar PreWash Gel followed by meguiars Deep Crystal CAR WASH this morning. Repeated late this afternoon. Still did not get all of it off. What to use? Afraid something super strong might damage the paint. The toughest to remove is now on the front of the car below the hood.

Those bugs were really hard. At first it was gravel hitting my windshield.

I’ve used the same Rain-X product on my car. The front of my car had a good many love bug splats. The Rain-X product worked pretty well for me. I first started with a good rinsing. While the car was still wet, I sprayed down the whole area with the Rain-X and waited 5 minutes for it to work. I immediately went to my wash brush and Maguiers Gold Class Car Wash and Conditioner. After a good scrubbing, I rinsed the area. I dumped out the wash bucket and cleaned my brush. I made up a new bucket of car wash and washed the whole car. I still had a few areas of bug guts. I attacked those with Mothers spray detailer and a clay bar. I finally got them all.

try wd-40 and a microfiber cloth, if you need to get one of those plastic net covered sponges and use carefully to remove the bug guts with lots of soap for lubrication.

I purchased one of these from Wal Mart. I have not used it yet but with a good warm/semi hot soapy/watery mixture, I can't see them not coming off.
https://www.autozone.com/wash-mitts-cham...ponge/87767_0_0

Imo, a good way to ensure the bugs will come off fairly easily is to always have a fairly fresh coat of wax on the front end. Soak the affected area with a spray of water, let soak keeping things wet and after a couple minutes use your warm soapy water and a good wash mitt/scrub pad like above and all should come off fairly easy.

This is going to sound odd, but trust me it works. Go to the fabric store and buy a yard of taffeta fabric (make sure it is rayon and not silk). Cut a swatch 12x12 inches, get it wet (soapy water is even better, but not necessary) and scrub lightly in a circular motion. It will remove bugs like nothing else, won't scratch anything, and you don't have to worry about chemicals or other harsh things on your paint. If you invest in some pinking shears, you can cut swatches that won't fray on the ends. I cut a bunch every year because guys I work with see me using it on my windshield and want one, so I always end up giving them mine. Best I can figure, the taffeta weave grinds up the little bug parts into dust and just wash away.

Brake fluid and paint thinner mix will take it off, trust me. On a real note i used some of that turtle wax bug and tar with a microfiber and it did really good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Brake fluid and paint thinner mix will take it off, trust me. On a real note i used some of that turtle wax bug and tar with a microfiber and it did really good.

Brake fluid will take everything off. I strongly recommend that nobody use this to remove bugs. A good All Purpose Cleaner (APC) from Sonax or P21s will make fast work of the issue without damaging the paint cost.

Get a spray bottle and put a dryer fabric softener sheet in it, let it sit overnight. Spray on the bugs. Use another dryer sheet to erase bugs. I didn't believe it either.......until I tried it. It works.

I have always used )))HOT((( water with rubber gloves. This always dissolves the bugs right off the front end, side mirrors & windscreen.

For tar, I just use gasoline & rubber gloeve and it has never hurt my paint. Of course, you want to do this when you will be washing your vehicle shortly after and maybe even keep a bucket of soapy water next to you during the process.

don't laugh, get spray bottle, fill bottle with hydrogen peroxide from medicine cabinet and spray bugs and let set for 5 min. they will then come off with soap and water.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Dylan1303

Brake fluid will take everything off. I strongly recommend that nobody use this to remove bugs. A good All Purpose Cleaner (APC) from Sonax or P21s will make fast work of the issue without damaging the paint cost.

X2! Don't use brake cleaner on anything paint related as it will remove the paint in short order!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back