Used Colorado or used Tacoma for double the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: Warlord
I have no real need of a half ton so if I can get slightly better fuel economy in a smaller truck I would rather go that route. Plus the extra room in my garage would be nice.

The Ram 1500 will actually get better mileage than the Tacoma and be more comfortable and capable at the same time. I made that mistake once when I traded a fullsize for a compact truck (2008 Colorado). I tolerated it for 4 years then went back to a fullsize.

I tried the idea of the Ram but it’s just too gargantuan. Likely wouldn’t even fit in my garage. It seems to me I have an attitude towards life that differs from most. For me something I can’t tolerate is buying more than I need. I don’t need the biggest and best. A small truck will do everything I need so there’s really no reason to get something bigger.

A little bit about my Canyon. It’s a 2007 with the 3.7 inline 5 and auto tranny. Higher mileage at 204 thousand kilometers but was used all its life to commute back and forth on the highway to the city. Everything feels tight and it goes beautifully down the road. My one complaint is the cheap feeling interior. It’s functional but certainly not luxurious. The center console is a joke though. It’s a flimsy little afterthought of a compartment. I almost wish they hadn’t bothered putting it in at all.

I’m gonna do the usual used vehicle refresh of all fluids, filters, and ignition parts. Can’t wait to see what sort of mpg I’ll achieve! Thanks for the ideas and advice everybody.

Last edited:
The 2004-2012 Colorado is the perfect size. I had a 2004 Canyon and it was a good truck. I considered a new one when buying the Challenger, but it's so long that the short wheelbase version is too long to fit in the garage!

I ended up buying a nice used Canyon with the 3.7 inline 5. Liking it so far!

Congrats on the new truck! Sounds like you got what you were after.

I hear you on the size thing. Like my FILs Nissan Frontier, these year range Colorado/Canyons have nice useable bed heights and overall size.

A little bit about my Canyon. It’s a 2007 with the 3.7 inline 5 and auto tranny. Higher mileage at 204 thousand kilometers but was used all its life to commute back and forth on the highway to the city. Everything feels tight and it goes beautifully down the road. My one complaint is the cheap feeling interior. It’s functional but certainly not luxurious. The center console is a joke though. It’s a flimsy little afterthought of a compartment. I almost wish they hadn’t bothered putting it in at all.

I’m gonna do the usual used vehicle refresh of all fluids, filters, and ignition parts. Can’t wait to see what sort of mpg I’ll achieve! Thanks for the ideas and advice everybody.

A guy down the street has one for a DD … been coming past here since shortly after I got my 2005...
The interior comments have been in 100 car journals … my 2010 has leather (power adjustable and heated) so you could search for a salvage … also Hummer H3 seats fit = better in both cloth or leather ~ found a leather cover for the plastic arm rest … looks better …

Looks to have coil on plug ignition . Unless you have an indication , I would leave then be . Probably would change plugs . If the " boots " look bad , replace them .

Fluids & filters , certainly . Also look at the coolant hoses . Might change the tstat as preventative maintenance .

Then check tires and brakes .

I had a 2006 Colorado, 4X4, Z71, crew cab, 3.5L I-5. With the I-5 and the I-4 Atlas engines, it is a [censored] shoot whether you get one with a good head or not. Mine lasted 114k babied miles and then I got the dreaded P0305 code. The valve seats in the head were gone. And GM said that the recall for the head did not apply to my VIN #. My truck was supposed to be good to go.

I was always chasing a fuel evap solenoid CEL.

Typical mileage around town was 16-17 mpg. On a highway trip, I would get 22 mpg. Most modern V-8's can do that now.

If you want the older gen Colorado, find one with the 5.3 V8. No AFM on that version. And it is a tried and true design.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brigadier
I had a 2006 Colorado, 4X4, Z71, crew cab, 3.5L I-5. With the I-5 and the I-4 Atlas engines, it is a [censored] shoot whether you get one with a good head or not. Mine lasted 114k babied miles and then I got the dreaded P0305 code. The valve seats in the head were gone. And GM said that the recall for the head did not apply to my VIN #. My truck was supposed to be good to go.

I was always chasing a fuel evap solenoid CEL.

Typical mileage around town was 16-17 mpg. On a highway trip, I would get 22 mpg. Most modern V-8's can do that now.

If you want the older gen Colorado, find one with the 5.3 V8. No AFM on that version. And it is a tried and true design.

Right which is why I wanted one after the head issues were resolved for the 2007 model year. 04-06 had the problems. So far my first few tanks have netted me an average of 24 mpg. Very happy.

Is that per U.S. gallon, or imperial gallon?
lol.gif

Was just kidding. My Colorado is a base model, standard cab M5 2WD and got about 22 MPG on the highway last time I checked. I would hope to get about the same as you once the motor is fully broken in.

If anyone was wondering I just took a 2600 km fishing trip hauling my boat and my little slide in camper and averaged just a hair over 17 US mpg. About what my previous truck got unloaded! Very impressed.

If anyone was wondering I just took a 2600 km fishing trip hauling my boat and my little slide in camper and averaged just a hair over 17 US mpg. About what my previous truck got unloaded! Very impressed.
Thanks for the update! always good to see a happy update.

Tacoma sells for more because it's worth more and the 4 poppers go forever,..cast iron if I'm correct.

Other than the dealership, where can one shop for a used Tacoma that isn't outrageously priced? I can't find any Tacomas under $30k that don't have at least 50k miles on them. I get that they run a long time, trouble free, but it's still a lot of miles.

Originally Posted By: buster
Other than the dealership, where can one shop for a used Tacoma that isn't outrageously priced? I can't find any Tacomas under $30k that don't have at least 50k miles on them. I get that they run a long time, trouble free, but it's still a lot of miles.

A fairly priced Tacoma with lower miles? You might want to look at a Nissan Frontier
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back