which oil leaves a longer lasting film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my classic cars that sit for long periods between uses quite often, does conventional or synthetic leave a longer lasting film for restarting. Or doesn't it matter in the least.

Look out for higher polarity property in base oil (as in certain esters types) and additive package (as in a formulated Castrol Magnatec?).

Castrol Magnatec is formulated with a polar molecule add to attach to the metal surface of the engine and resist drain back. It's easy enough to find.

So other oils just vanish in the air then...?
laugh.gif

From the 2 years i have been reading posts on this forum, i've read a few times that generally Group IV PAO synthetics are the ones that drain down the quickest, a Group 1 conventional, which is the most basic "rudimentary" conventional base stock which contain plenty of bright stock, tend to "stick" quite well, they're waxy and contain paraffins.
So a PAO full synthetic will not "stick" as much but will flow significantly better in cold temps.

I plumbed in a pre-luber many years ago for a vehicle which sat for long periods of time. I wired it up to a toggle switch and start it with full oil pressure before ever turning the key. It was already mentioned and is something worth considering as well.

I like the idea of a preoiler. Or popping out the distributor and spinning the oil pump.

But isn't one of the point of the additives in oil to minimize start up wear?

IMO I'd think more about giving a squirt of gas into the carb to ensure fast start up. If not that then figuring out how to refill the carb bowl.

From gasoline to grease, the thicker sticks better. That's why we have grease, it sticks well. I don't know about magnatec, it sounds good, but Castrol likes to magnify for lack of as better word, like the pictures on the jugs. Too bad there aren't some facts to look up other than words and pictures on the bottles.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
From gasoline to grease, the thicker sticks better. That's why we have grease, it sticks well. I don't know about magnatec, it sounds good, but Castrol likes to magnify for lack of as better word, like the pictures on the jugs. Too bad there aren't some facts to look up other than words and pictures on the bottles.

They are altering something … to have a black “corn dog” dipstick and goo under the fill cap in just 3K sure would cling.
Thinking go Edge if you want a better bp product …

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Conventional oil usually leaves a slightly thicker film. Castrol Magnatec claims to be very good at this.

My GMC sat for a month with Delvac 1 5w40 … think it’s 30% PAO, GIII, tiny splash ester … I should go back to Delvac Super and use up the D1 in the higher mileage Cruze that’s driven daily …

Wound up with lots of 40’s in stash since many were on clearance …

You could also look into an additive [heaven forbid] that has esters which are polar in nature causing oil to "stick" longer. Lubegard Biotech Engine Protectant comes to mind.

Oil doesn't like hot metal, when you turn off your vehicle the engine is hot, operating temp is hot enough to boil water. Esters are polar, so there may be some chance they leave something behind, but I would look into moly as that is what most oil companies use to protect against dry starts, and zinc plates as well. What is better a low dose of TN moly or a super dose of organic moly you see in some formulas? dunno

Hemi tick is often most worse at start up, many guys including myself have found Redline has quieted their tick, where other oils haven't. Is it the super dose of moly? at least possible

Originally Posted By: burla
Oil doesn't like hot metal, when you turn off your vehicle the engine is hot, operating temp is hot enough to boil water. Esters are polar, so there may be some chance they leave something behind, but I would look into moly as that is what most oil companies use to protect against dry starts, and zinc plates as well. What is better a low dose of TN moly or a super dose of organic moly you see in some formulas? dunno

Biotech EP has a nice shot of moly too.

Hemi tick is often most worse at start up, many guys including myself have found Redline has quieted their tick, where other oils haven't. Is it the super dose of moly? at least possible

I read about this quite often so I am curious what years display this noise? My 13, as far as my hearing goes, can't hear a thing related to Hemi tick.
I have been using Pennzoil Platinum or PUP since the 1st oil change so maybe with that oil the Hemi tick is also eliminated?

How about Amsoil Z- Rod? Zrod is advertised as having extra corrosion inhibitors for cars that are driven infrequently.

Originally Posted By: irv

I read about this quite often so I am curious what years display this noise? My 13, as far as my hearing goes, can't hear a thing related to Hemi tick.
I have been using Pennzoil Platinum or PUP since the 1st oil change so maybe with that oil the Hemi tick is also eliminated?

Many years hemi can have ticks, but the latest generation seams to have quite a few. 2009 to 2016 and there really isn't enough info on the newest years to say one way or another. RamForumz which I'm not a regular has a poll, they have more in the 2012-13 years, but again have hemi tick throughout the years. Anyhow, if you don't have it don't worry you are good. Most hemi's don't have it, but it is a serious drag when you do have it, mine started when my truck had 3500 miles, so yeah bummer. I've been using redline since 2011 and the tick stayed gone, keep that in your mind if you ever get the tick. If I didn't have tick I would be using exactly what you are PUP. In fact PUP 0w40 was made with cooperation between FCA and Pennxoil specifically for the hemi. We actually have a few guys running it the mds 5.7 even though it was meant for the 6.4. The high moly in the 0w40 PUP also has a lot of guys mixing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back