Latest Oil Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
The last Oil Report showed copper @ 4 ppm. It was 2 on the last report. This oil change was at 6,551 miles. 34,383 total miles on 2013 Fiesta hatchback. Not too worried. Where could the copper be coming from? I changed oil at 6,551 miles instead of the recommended 8000 miles as I was going on a 5000 mile road trip. Also because it was almost a year since the last oil change. I read that it is not good to use oil that has been stored in the cold. We had a long cold winter here in Central TX. Many nights in the 20's and a few in the low teens. The car was not driven for several days at a time in those conditions. How does that compare with oil stored at low temperatures? The dipstick shows 1/2 quart low after those 5000 miles. I have never seen it go low between oil changes at all before. I did a lot of 75, 85, 95 mph driving. Also crossed many mountain ranges and the continental divide several times at elevations up to 11,000 feet. Lots of running the engine at 5000 rpm in lower gears getting over the mountains. I figure that's where the oil went. 5 speed manual.

In PPM the difference between 2 and 4 is nothing. Remember we're talking parts per million, not parts per hundred. In reality with numbers that close the reading for copper could have been exactly the same.

Any other metal? Copper used in bearings is an intermediate layer.An increase of 2ppm is barely any. Cold oil pours slower, is about the only effect cold has on oil. Oil keeps well, regardless of temp or time. 1/2 qt low is nothing in 5kmiles. Pay attention to CU in next sample.

Last edited:
2 ppm can be found in virgin oil samples. No need to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

It's a Ford made in Mexico. That's enough of a reason. Years ago Ford stopped having Focus motors built there. I just want to know about problems before they get bad. I'm thinking the copper is not coming from rod or main bearings as I would expect to see lead in the sample before copper. Just wondering where the copper would be coming from.

Many a Mazda have been built in Mexico and they are widely considered reliable, well built cars.

It literally could be anything, and almost assuredly nothing major. 2 ppm is not enough to worry about. Run your normal OCI, normal oil and retest if you feel the need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back