Simoniz 10" Orbital polisher/buffer. Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

I won this today at a local fundraiser and I am wondering if it is any good? Truthfully, I prefer a rotary buffer/polisher but I have very little experience with both as I prefer just to use my hands.
I am thinking about maybe selling it or gifting it someone who I think will appreciate it more than me but I want to hear some thoughts first.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/simoniz-orbital-polisher-10-in-0399055p.html

I would like to use it on my wife's black Impala but I am afraid of swirl marks and the like. My white truck I don't think will be a problem but if it isn't much better than just using my hands, then I don't see the point of even using it once.
I will most likely be using Collinite 845 Insulator wax as that is my wax of choice. Does it matter what wax is used with these orbital polishers?
Thanks..
11.gif

i had one of these different brand, I generally found these to be too big and bulky to be effective. I would sell it before using it and buy a smaller version 5-6 inch. I think you'll be happier,

Originally Posted By: bruckus
i had one of these different brand, I generally found these to be too big and bulky to be effective. I would sell it before using it and buy a smaller version 5-6 inch. I think you'll be happier,

+1. My 10 inch is too awkward to use.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: bruckus

+1. My 10 inch is too awkward to use.

+2. I bought one back in 1998. I've only used it less than 10 times. I probably should sell it.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Could be useful for a boat or RV.
21.gif

Good ideas, especially with our trailer so I may have to think about this one a bit more?

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

I was watching some vids yesterday and today and I would like to upgrade to one of these. The trouble is, based on what I have just read in here, is it's confusing.

Might as well call me an amateur when it comes to these as I have used them very little. I am basically wanting to purchase one for my wife's car as I think, being black, it will get the most benefit, but I will also likely use it on my truck if it cuts time way down.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.7-inch-variable-speed-polishersander-kit.1001076559.html

I read in posts here that the Porter 7424XP is likely my safest bet?

I was watching some MeGuiars detailing vids but their own brand DA is no longer available up here. At $349.00, its likely a good thing anyways!

Just looking for some advice on which way to go, where to purchase from, etc.
I will be using it mainly for minor paint correction/swirl removal, etc, but also for applying and removing wax mainly.

Thanks in advance.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
21.gif

Good ideas, especially with our trailer so I may have to think about this one a bit more?

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

It is only useful for spreading and removing wax. It cannot do any correction at all. You need talent and experience to use a rotary so stick with a DA like the Porter Cable or better yet the Griot's 6" random orbital with the extended length cord. Buy a 5" backing plate and 5.25" pads.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
21.gif

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

It is only useful for spreading and removing wax. It cannot do any correction at all. You need talent and experience to use a rotary so stick with a DA like the Porter Cable or better yet the Griot's 6" random orbital with the extended length cord. Buy a 5" backing plate and 5.25" pads.

I am really liking the Porter Cable 7472XP reviews/vids I am seeing as it looks easy enough to use without having to worry too much about screwing things up.
My dilemma will be trying to find one up here likely?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
21.gif

Thanks.
cheers3.gif

I am really liking the Porter Cable 7472XP reviews/vids I am seeing as it looks easy enough to use without having to worry too much about screwing things up.
My dilemma will be trying to find one up here likely?

Amazon or the Porter Cable website?

As mentioned it will apply the wax/sealant in a thin, even coat. Which will make removal much easier. Plus the machine machine does all the work. You just guide it around the paint.

So even using the PC for correction this product can still come in handy. When applying product by hand I get in a rush and there's always uneven high spots which makes removal a pain. Below is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFEAz93qkHc

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
As mentioned it will apply the wax/sealant in a thin, even coat. Which will make removal much easier. Plus the machine machine does all the work. You just guide it around the paint.

So even using the PC for correction this product can still come in handy. When applying product by hand I get in a rush and there's always uneven high spots which makes removal a pain. Below is a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFEAz93qkHc

SatinSilver, what are your thoughts on the Porter Cable 7424XP like I mentioned above? I think I found a pretty good deal on Amazon.ca and am thinking strongly of ordering it up?
Personally, I think I will like it better but I want/need to know if I am just wasting money or getting into something over my head?
Thanks
11.gif

Edit: Decided to order it as I thought it was a pretty good deal based on everything you got with the kit.
https://www.amazon.ca/Chemical-Detailing...sl_1wbikhd5pp_e

I checked the 2 places up here where I have purchased products from in the past and both places were more money, significantly, once I added all the extras up that came with the Amazon kit above.
Hopefully I made the right decision, which I think I did, so I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

Last edited:
Excellent choice! Here is a youtube video on the top ten polishers that you will enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2gqPW81iaY

Maybe get some HD Speed which the Canadian detail site has but currently out of stock. It will correct as well as protect. Then top with Collinite.

Does that stand for Heavy Duty Speed, SS? Can you direct me/tell me where it is exactly as I am unsure what it is exactly?
I purchased some MeGuiars Ultimate Compound on the weekend as it was on sale and the reviews/vids spoke highly of it.
Will this suffice or should I get the product you are talking about as well?

I think it stands for High Definition, here is a link for it but out of stock right now. Maybe e-shine has it in stock.

https://www.oldetownautospa.ca/collectio.../hd-speed-16-oz

I like to go with the least aggressive product/method first. Here is a thread using the product:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub...ail#Post4435774

Thank you!
cheers3.gif

I will keep an eye on it or write Jeff (the owner) to see if he knows when it is coming in?
I like the idea of it being a 2 in 1 as well so I may just purchase some.

Coming soon from me to you. More questions, especially about pads and DA techniques for a newbie.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back