2005 Forester Coolant Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the couple cups of coolant per month leak turned into a puddle the last couple of days. Took it in for mechanic to check out after I looked under and saw coolant leaking near timing belt cover. They figure water pump, which was my initial thought. They replaced it 3 years and 40k miles ago. One of those NAPA service shops. Since when do water pumps die after 40k miles? My old Honda had 200k+ on original pump. Same with a Pathfinder I owned before that. I'm assuming those NAPA shops use NAPA parts. They warranty for 3 years 36k at this shop. [censored] parts. This is why I tend to go OEM when I can. This isn't my car but a friends and after the next warranty she probably won't have it because it'll have over 200k.

More than likely Gates parts,with an unknown brand import pump in those all in one kits.

Well, at least he said, "we only use coolant specific for Subarus" and when I said, "I've been adding cheap, all makes and models coolant" he said, "we should probably flush the system then, too, and add the Subaru coolant conditioner." So their answers seem reasonably competent...

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
"I've been adding cheap, all makes and models coolant"

15.gif

LOL was only hoping to make it until July when I have a week off. Was going to have a super check over of all leaks and fluid replacements anyway. It was the silicate and other stuff free Asian cars like. But the dumping of ounces a day the last couple days changed my plan...

Through limited experiences I've been inadvertently forming an opinion about NAPA.
If the independently owned NAPA store is run by people who know and care there's likely a good chance of good services.
Being a NAPA which services repair shops and a reasonably educated population might help.

A group of "businessmen" who've decided to open a NAPA franchise to pay for their gold neck chains and fat wives' life styles can be another story.

Last time a WP failed on me was about this time of year, I drove with the system de-pressurized and carried water. It used a 1/2 gallon each way. I did this for a week. The packing blew out at 190 K miles. GMB used to make a great water pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back