Connecting a Natural Gas Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our house has a gas line that runs outside to an old natural gas grill. I disconnected it and bought a new grill. The gas line as is has a female connection, and so does the gas hose the grill came with. I assume hardware stores sell a connector. Is this something I should have a plumber or utility company come out and hook up? It doesn't look like there is much to it other then connecting and checking for leaks with soapy water. I generally don't mess with anything electric or gas. Thanks

Permanent Gas installations require a permit and must be signed off by a pipefitter (or another permitted profession) with a current Natural Gas ticket.

In some cases a direct replacement (no parts changes, only direct exact same replacement) can be done without a permit, but as far as I know that never applies to gas installations, only electrical. But it would probably be worth it to check local ordinances to be sure.

A contractor that did our gas stuff at work forgot to take out a permit when changing a propane water heater (a simple oversight, he would do dozens of installations for us at a time). His fine was $2,000.00

Yours is a permanent installation ( as are all NatGas).

Make-up some soap solution and spray on the connection after hooking up and if you dont see bubbles your good to go.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Permanent Gas installations require a permit and must be signed off by a pipefitter (or another permitted profession) with a current Natural Gas ticket.

In some cases a direct replacement (no parts changes, only direct exact same replacement) can be done without a permit, but as far as I know that never applies to gas installations, only electrical. But it would probably be worth it to check local ordinances to be sure.

A contractor that did our gas stuff at work forgot to take out a permit when changing a propane water heater (a simple oversight, he would do dozens of installations for us at a time). His fine was $2,000.00

Yours is a permanent installation ( as are all NatGas).

All depends who's doing it and where. Here if it's your own home you do not need a permit.

Originally Posted By: buster
Our house has a gas line that runs outside to an old natural gas grill. I disconnected it and bought a new grill. The gas line as is has a female connection, and so does the gas hose the grill came with. I assume hardware stores sell a connector. Is this something I should have a plumber or utility company come out and hook up? It doesn't look like there is much to it other then connecting and checking for leaks with soapy water. I generally don't mess with anything electric or gas. Thanks

Is that female connector a “quick connector” ? The proper installation would have a ball valve, then a female quick connector. You would want the male quick connector on the BBQ hose. You would want easy access to the ball valve and it better be in good shape. I all you are doing is updating the valve and connector you might not need to pull a permit but I’ll bet your insurance company wants a licensed gas fitter to do the work.

Last edited:
If you want to do it correctly, contact a licensed gas fitter and have a new ball valve cut in, and new quick connection on both sides

After that, you can call PSE&G and they can check for leaks, and or do a housepipe test

Source: works at a gas company

Wouldn't recommend it being DIY

However I do recommend keeping an eye on the piping for corrosion, and spray painting any exposed metal to keep it clean

Thanks for all the advice I appreciate it.

I feel better going with michael’s advice.

Originally Posted By: buster

Did you get a grill with a natural gas manifold? Just asking as many people don't know that there is a difference and they think that propane & natural gas are interchangeable.

DON'T DO what my friend's father did.

He once observed a local farm hand hook up a gas something-or-other and check for leaks with a cigarette lighter. You'd get a tiny dome of blue fire if there was a leak.

My friend's father hooked up a propane tank to an old bunk house and they all went to dinner. Upon arriving home everyone smelled gas so he went over to the bunk house and took out his lighter and the entire building went up in a jolly silent poof. The building burnt down in 12 minutes.

True story.

Hard to swallow but sometimes that insurance stuff is good....kinda like septic system installations.

Jack of many trades. Natural gas is lower pressure than propane, easier to fit.. Cesspools are nasty but simple, plumbing takes practice, electric needs a meter, carpentry, roofing, painting are all things I've worked at under licensed supervision. I am comfortable doing my own repairs. Don't get me started on insurance.

Checking for leaks with a lighter after lunch could have been a Darwin award contender. A little dish soap cut with water, is what I use. Back in the day when a VOM was 'spensive, the old timers licked two fingers and got a zap.

I limit myself to small stuff now-a-days

Originally Posted By: andyd
Jack of many trades. Natural gas is lower pressure than propane, easier to fit.. Cesspools are nasty but simple, plumbing takes practice, electric needs a meter, carpentry, roofing, painting are all things I've worked at under licensed supervision. I am comfortable doing my own repairs. Don't get me started on insurance.

Checking for leaks with a lighter after lunch could have been a Darwin award contender. A little dish soap cut with water, is what I use. Back in the day when a VOM was 'spensive, the old timers licked two fingers and got a zap.

Oh yeah, I saw a plumber do that once. You check for leaks right away afterwards, not after lunch. I thought he was nuts too, but gas is only 1/2 a PSI, so yeah, you just blow it out if there's a leak. The soapy water is safer. They even sell it at home depot although you can easily make your own.

Also a cousin of mine works for the gas company, he says that they don't even fix gas leaks outside if it's far enough away from a building, can't remember if he said it was 6 or 10 feet. There just isn't enough gas to mix with the air to cause an explosion when it's outside. Probably explains why I get whiffs of gas while walking around outside in the city, just not enough for the gas company to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: andyd

Oh yeah, I saw a plumber do that once. You check for leaks right away afterwards, not after lunch. I thought he was nuts too, but gas is only 1/2 a PSI, so yeah, you just blow it out if there's a leak. The soapy water is safer. They even sell it at home depot although you can easily make your own.

Also a cousin of mine works for the gas company, he says that they don't even fix gas leaks outside if it's far enough away from a building, can't remember if he said it was 6 or 10 feet. There just isn't enough gas to mix with the air to cause an explosion when it's outside. Probably explains why I get whiffs of gas while walking around outside in the city, just not enough for the gas company to worry about.

Correct

Explosive range is 5-15% gas in air, perfect combustion @ 10%

Most residential is at 4-7" WC (water column) which translates to 0.25 PSI

If you want to be extra thorough, you can do a pressure test @ 3 psi with a gauge and hand pump, then soap test with the gas on

You can do it yourself. Same principal as replacing the "tank to burner" hose.

Use a gas rated thread sealer and check leaks with soap water as you already know.

I hooked it up myself. No leaks after testing with soap water. I assume you should always turn off the main gas line when not in use and use the quick disconnect to detach hose from main line? Turn off valve is in basement.

I have installed many of the quick disconnects. I like them horizontal, less chance of water contamination. So I use a 90* elbow to turn horizontal.

What is the black piece, channel shaped at the top, out of which the tubing emerges?

I don't see any clamps securing the whole assembly down. Very very important.

Since the quick disconnect is self-sealing, the shut-off does not have to be turned off but, for long periods of disuse, it makes sense to turn the shut-off off.

Use the yellow plastic plug to plug the disconnect when it is disconnected to prevent contaminants from fouling the disconnect.

Is that 3/8 copper tubing supplying the gas? Did you flare it properly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back