Does your dipstick have a dark coating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to see the condition of the oil as well as the level but some manufacturers put a dark coating on the dipstick making it hard to tell. This is on a Honda but I removed the coating on the business end to be able to see the condition. Why do they do that?

large.jpg

Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Have you owned the car since new? Has that dark coating always been there since day one?

Based on previous threads he's a car flipper.

Looks like a cheap aftermarket dipstick.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Blueskies123
Have you owned the car since new? Has that dark coating always been there since day one?

Based on previous threads he's a car flipper.

Looks like a cheap aftermarket dipstick.

No, had many of these cars and it's the original dipstick. I thought maybe it's to prevent rusting, or so some people who are OCD don't obsess if the oil is a little dark.

The 2002 Dakota I have been servicing recently has a plastic black tip. Below the minimum mark.
Never seen one before; kinda threw me the 1st time I saw it.
Actually, makes it more difficult to read.

At least it's metal. I hate the stupid plastic dipstick on the 2006-2011 Honda Civics, impossible to read after an oil change.

I had a saturn that came with sludge that doesn't look unlike your stick. It came right off with steel wool, though. Would recommend.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
The 2002 Dakota I have been servicing recently has a plastic black tip. Below the minimum mark.

I agree. It's almost impossible to read some of these. Especially on almost invisible fresh pour of virtually every oil.

Lends credence to mixing, to achieve a darker color to read the level.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
At least it's metal. I hate the stupid plastic dipstick on the 2006-2011 Honda Civics, impossible to read after an oil change.

LOL but think of how much weight that saved them.
04.gif

Tell me about it. It was really difficult at first but after checking for years it's gotten easier for some reason. I just make sure to get it as dry as I can on the diamond portions and then it seems to hold the oil well.

If the oil is over the diamond portions on that dipstick though, you can forget it, it's virtually impossible to tell how much higher it is.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

LOL but think of how much weight that saved them.
04.gif

It's also funny when the engine overheats (like when the 8th generation Civics had the cracked block issue), the dipstick melts and the lower end falls down into the oil pan.
QWhZmOP.jpg

Originally Posted By: talest
Lends credence to mixing, to achieve a darker color to read the level.

Just fold a paper towel or use a small sheet of paper and push it perpendicular to the dipstick, starting from the 'high' side. When you contact the (clear) oil, you will see where it is.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk

So did my 2000 Durango 5.9 motor. One day the dipstick broke by the handle so I got a new one. No plastic on the end. 1 year later it had it. I think its sludge but who knows.

It looks to me that yours indeed has a coating. The line between the shiny metal and the dark area seems too crisp to be random light varnish. (edit) Just reread your post and realized you had cleaned the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back